Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theory: Model X has "transparent" A pillars (see-through video)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What if, instead of using both sides of the driver display (as seen in the concept MX) in order to display rear view video, the video was displayed on the pillars themselves. This would of course mean that the mirrors are in place on the current test vehicle as a back-up, to throw people off, or until this technology is approved. I think this is much more compelling than just "see-through" pillars

Possible. It could also explain removal of pillar covers, so that these screens are not seen in public.

Then again, I haven't been able to see any indication of mirror-camo over side cameras on the mirrors... I am mostly expecting the Model X to launch with regular mirror, as disappointing as that may be. Let's hope the pessimism isn't warranted.

Still, I think there is potential evidence of corner cameras: in the front fog light assembly and in the side of the rear lights, where there is a square cut-out in the camo. Those could be related to parking systems.

Following on what Twiddler said, I was imaging cameras and screens for side view mirrors. This would be in addition to the traditional side view mirrors, which are required until the camera option is approved by whoever regulates that stuff. Whether or not they would actually be usable at start of production would be uncertain. Then, in classic Tesla magical upgrade fashion, when (if?) camera side view mirrors are approved, the function if not already available would be activated by OTA update, and Tesla would inform owners that their traditional side view mirrors can be optionally removed (traditional side view mirrors could then possibly be sold as an add-on option for those that favor classic mirrors).

Of course, using some of the technology to make the whole pillar "see through" would be awesome, but I wouldn't dare to speculate in so grand a fashion. Could be cool though, and not out of the realm of possibility.

...Thinking about your proposal, if it is true, that begs the next question though: Why is the A pillar not in place? Merely because of some test rigging (very possible, as said) or because showing the part would expose something they want to hide (related to external cameras perhaps)?

Test "mules" frequently have missing interior cover bits as they test, repair and replace items. The "A pillar" is the solid part of the body, so it was "in place", but an "interior A-pillar cover" could certainly be missing on a test vehicle. And it could expose an air bag or other mechanism under there. With that said, I am not really sure what we are seeing at this point.

- - - Updated - - -

What if, instead of using both sides of the driver display (as seen in the concept MX) in order to display rear view video, the video was displayed on the pillars themselves. This would of course mean that the mirrors are in place on the current test vehicle as a back-up, to throw people off, or until this technology is approved. I think this is much more compelling than just "see-through" pillars

Yes, this is what many in this thread were already speculating.

re airbag:
they look quite a bit different than tin foil
pillar03.jpg

and this should end the thread

For whatever reason, I think this thread maybe has had some analytical value and hashed out some good analysis on the mule shots - yet tin foil hats, maybe not the end-note I would be looking for. :)

One thing that would interest me, personally, and that I think might offer some more thread value beyond entertainment, is hearing what people think of external cameras... do you see any, aside the backup camera of course, on the Model X mule video? If so, where do your eyes spot potential lenses? Any takers? How many cameras?

p.s. jerjozwik: In some cars the airbag assembly is more fabric-like, and is held in place with fasteners that I think - with some imagination - could be made out in the Model X mule shots. It is also possible some wiring is visible in the Model X shots. It is a good theory, I think, from Trev Page. Not conclusive, but I think it is very possible... TEG: Agreed.

Maybe on that car. I've removed the A pillar cover on my Kia Sportage and the airbags are wrapped and bolted to the front which is why I thought of that immediately when I saw the X images.

Yeah, agreed, I've seen wrapped airbags - in fact, even on that pictured car it seems to me like the wrapped airbag (curtain) is actually underneath the roof liner and what we're seeing is merely the explosive charge.

One other thing I noticed in those pictures I posted: Passenger side has a charge port ;)

Are you sure it isn't a fuel tank for the plug-in hybrid! Or maybe it is the upcoming mini-Frankenplug port? Nah, that wouldn't fit, we must wait for the micro spec...

(Well spotted. Wonder what could that be... A mule data port? Secondary port since the other side clearly has a port too...?)

I doubt it's a second charge port. The Model S has reflectors in the same spot on both sides, but only the driver's side opens to reveal the charge port. The Model X will likely be the same way.

As true as that is, if the passenger side port was merely a dummy, it would make sense if it was wrapped entirely alongside the rest of the light fixture - since this car is covered by a white wrap. Either they removed this piece for the wrap, took extra care to cut the wrap separately, or it - unlike Model S passenger side dummy port cover - opens up for some reason...

I'm not really expecting two functional charge ports for the final version, though. But still an interesting observation.

As true as that is, if the passenger side port was merely a dummy, it would make sense if it was wrapped entirely alongside the rest of the light fixture - since this car is covered by a white wrap. Either they removed this piece for the wrap, took extra care to cut the wrap separately, or it - unlike Model S passenger side dummy port cover - opens up for some reason...

I'm not really expecting two functional charge ports for the final version, though. But still an interesting observation.
Hmm, good point about the wrap. I had assumed the driver's side was cut out the same way, but taking a closer look at the photos it does appear the passenger's side is cut out more carefully than the driver's side. While I highly doubt they will change sides because of how the Superchargers are designed, it's not as clear cut as I first thought.

I've seen some of those movies. I believe the technique is to yell "ENHANCE!" at the picture. From what I can recall, this works for up to three iterations.

I don't understand why they don't just auto-enhance the pictures in the first place.

Macgaver: Very nice and interesting shot, there. Thank you.

That doesn't look like simply A pillar interior cover missing, though. It might be that, for sure, but it might also be some camo included... Something pretty odd is going on there. Maybe it is just test rigging, though, which would make anything fair game.

Anyway, no visible screen there for sure. :)

Macgaver: Very nice and interesting shot, there. Thank you.

That doesn't look like simply A pillar interior cover missing, though. It might be that, for sure, but it might also be some camo included... Something pretty odd is going on there. Maybe it is just test rigging, though, which would make anything fair game.

Anyway, no visible screen there for sure. :)

Also a very clear shot of the top of the now IN DASH touch screen