Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog There’s Some Secret Tech Lurking In The Tesla Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Specially tuned vertical frequency?

There’s a lot of innovation in the Tesla Model 3. There’s the unique permanent magnet switched reluctance (PMSR) rear motor; the integration of the controls into a single center screen. Even the vents in the car’s HVAC system are a completely new design. Now, we’ve learned more details about other parts of the vehicle that have, quietly, undergone sophisticated development. They’re mostly associated with the chassis and suspension.

These new technical details were discovered by the team at Autocar who spoke to a number of Tesla engineers. They start with the tires, which, we’re told, the automaker spent three years working with tire manufacturers to develop. Besides being filled with sound-dampening foam, the rubber in the tread is formulated to have low-rolling resistance, yet offer good grip for a heavy vehicle with a lower-than-normal center of gravity. They also need to be able to deal with the extreme conditions of spinning at 155 miles per hour. If this sounds obsessive, read on.

The suspension, front and rear, is particularly interesting. The rear suspension, with five separate linkages and a damper, offers the wheels out back “six degrees of freedom,” says Autocar.   We’re told it is similar to a double wishbone setup, but the links have a split, which allows them to offer improved control using the feedback from the tires.

The front suspension, besides doing the typical duty of allowing the front wheels to flex up and down and turn, have an element of crash safety built in. In the case of a front-end collision, “…the front two steering links are designed to break so that the front wheel rotates around the third link, pushing the car away from impact.” Likewise, the mounts for the front motor (on Dual Motor variants, natch) are designed to pivot backward into an empty space in the case of an accident.

Interesting also are the choices made for the braking system. Tesla eschewed a cheaper option and went with four-pot brake calipers, but it didn’t stop there. To keep mechanical friction to a minimum, it engineered the piston seals to “… fully retract the brake pads after braking…” Typically, brake pads are allowed to float a bit, and lightly contact the rotors which keeps them free of surface rust. To accomplish that task, the automaker developed unspecified “new anti-corrosion techniques.”

Finally, Autocar wraps up its look at the unseen innovation by informing us about the car’s vertical frequency. Now, this is something probably no one, outside of vehicle dynamics engineers, gives much thought to, but apparently Tesla used NASA data to target the frequency that would keep drivers feeling comfortable. While not saying what value it targeted —it does say autos typically range from 1.0 to 3.0 Hertz — the Model 3 is tuned to have a vertical frequency  “…equivalent of a brisk walk or a slow run,” that helps the car keep a sporty feel, but still keep occupants comfortable. Neat-o!

Source: Autocar

This article originally appeared on Inside EVs.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and Gavyne
What baffles me is that despite all this advanced technology they are still having trouble with basic stuff, like making sure the mirror positions restore properly when changing profiles or making a trunk that closes more easily.

Otherwise one of the most advanced cars on the road though, which is probably why they can get away with flukes like that.

• Disagree
Reactions: APotatoGod
What baffles me is that despite all this advanced technology they are still having trouble with basic stuff, like making sure the mirror positions restore properly when changing profiles or making a trunk that closes more easily.

Otherwise one of the most advanced cars on the road though, which is probably why they can get away with flukes like that.
Anecdotally, my mirror positions restore just fine and I have no issues closing the trunk... far easier than my old Prius trunk hatch, as a matter of fact, or the RAV 4 I had after that.

Doesn't baffle me at all. Read the portion I've underlined; I would call that normal and expected in the technology arena.

Anecdotally, my mirror positions restore just fine and I have no issues closing the trunk... far easier than my old Prius trunk hatch, as a matter of fact, or the RAV 4 I had after that.
The trunk is the least of my problems and it's not a big deal, but if you close it from the side without giving a proper push down (there are videos about this), then it doesn't fully close.

Good to hear that your mirror positions restore properly, hopefully they can fix this when I bring it for service.

Limited funds, assigned priorities and hundreds if not thousands of engineers and developers.Sounds sensible to me to the put the best people on the hardest jobs.

Presumably the retracting brake pads will help to reduce brake dust.

But did Tesla put any effort into trying to minimize the particulate matter that is released by tires wearing against the road surface?

I think they planned on it simply collecting on the back of the car as a way of saying it needs a bath.

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush
In a YouTube by ingineerex where he examines the hidden engineering screens in the M3, there was an item "brake wipe request". That's probably a periodic program to apply the mechanical brakes for a revolution or two to keep rust/contaminants off the rotors. Smart stuff.

In a YouTube by ingineerex where he examines the hidden engineering screens in the M3, there was an item "brake wipe request". That's probably a periodic program to apply the mechanical brakes for a revolution or two to keep rust/contaminants off the rotors. Smart stuff.

BMW has this for years now. It works in connection with the rain sensor. In rain, the brakes are applied a very small amount here and there to keep the rotors dry.

• Informative
Reactions: David99 and Vinc