Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There are How many Tesla cars in Japen?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, I was in Japan for from Oct 27, 2015 to Nov 9, partly for Tokyo Motor Show. I flew from Narita to Nagasaki and took trains to make my way back to Nagoya then Tokyo, sightseeing along the way. By car from Nagasaki Station to Tokyo Station, it'd be over 1235 km or ~745 miles. Japan, IIRC is ~89% the size of California.

Here are excerpts of my posts elsewhere:
-- begin --
In my time here so far, I've only seen 2 Leafs. I did also see an electric kei van. It said Mitsubishi iMiev on the side + some other stuff. It was boxy and looked nothing like the clown car iMiev I'm familiar with.

I've seen no other EVs that I'm aware of. There are plenty of Gen 3 Prius and Prius c (Aqua here) and LOTS of kei cars (and kei vans and trucks), but virtually no EVs nor PHEVs that I know of.

Did see a huge sign on a parking garage stating there's EV quick charging there.

Oh... I guess there's an exception. In 2 hotels I've stayed at, on the building map of the rooms vs. elevator vs. fire escapes, they seem to use the abbreviation "EV" for elevator. That is technically correct, but not what I had in mind.

another post:
Press Release | Newsï½¥Events | MITSUBISHI MOTORS was what I saw. There was also a mention of this EV van on a timeline posted at Mitsubishi's booth.

While in Japan, parked on the street, I did see either a ICE Mitsubishi i (Mitsubishi i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) or i-Miev. Not sure which it was. I looked around but didn't snap pictures, I don't think. (smacks head)

At Tokyo Motor Show, there seemed to be a lot more emphasis (as in displays/booths) on hydrogen FCEVs and their fueling infrastructure than anything EV/PHEV related. Honda had at least a 2nd booth showing their next gen Clarity FCX. At that booth and/or others, there was companies showing their hydrogen fueling stations.
-- end --

I also saw 1 of EV / Products Line-up / Products / TOYOTA AUTO BODY parked in some EV car sharing program spot. I'm guessing it's similar to Zipcar.

In short, (surprisingly) other than at auto shows (doesn't count) or Nissan HQ, I saw almost no EVs that I know of, let alone any Teslas. Perhaps I visited the "wrong" areas? Maybe big cities (e.g. Fukuoka, Kobe, Osaka, Nagoya and Tokyo) are less likely to have high EV penetration?

- - - Updated - - -

From my limited experience of driving in Japan, I found that many roads are very narrow and I would hesitate to drive my Model S there.
Indeed, and there was the report at Japan - Page 2, that a Model S wouldn't fit that guy's "mechanical parking". If you don't know what that is, see Japan. I haven't followed any updates about that guy on that subject. He did respond to this thread. :)

And yes, I saw that type of parking all over the place in Japan. Some people call them "car elevators".

Also, in Japan, I saw plenty of Gen 3 (2010-2015) Prius and a MUCH higher % of the smaller Prius c (named Aqua there) vs. regular Prius than what I see in California. For those who don't know what kei cars and kei vans are: Kei car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Last edited:
FWIW, I was in Japan for from Oct 27, 2015 to Nov 9, partly for Tokyo Motor Show. I flew from Narita to Nagasaki and took trains to make my way back to Nagoya then Tokyo, sightseeing along the way. By car from Nagasaki Station to Tokyo Station, it'd be over 1235 km or ~745 miles. Japan, IIRC is ~89% the size of California.

Here are excerpts of my posts elsewhere:
-- begin --
In my time here so far, I've only seen 2 Leafs. I did also see an electric kei van. It said Mitsubishi iMiev on the side + some other stuff. It was boxy and looked nothing like the clown car iMiev I'm familiar with.

I've seen no other EVs that I'm aware of. There are plenty of Gen 3 Prius and Prius c (Aqua here) and LOTS of kei cars (and kei vans and trucks), but virtually no EVs nor PHEVs that I know of.

Did see a huge sign on a parking garage stating there's EV quick charging there.

Oh... I guess there's an exception. In 2 hotels I've stayed at, on the building map of the rooms vs. elevator vs. fire escapes, they seem to use the abbreviation "EV" for elevator. That is technically correct, but not what I had in mind.

another post:
Press Release | Newsï½¥Events | MITSUBISHI MOTORS was what I saw. There was also a mention of this EV van on a timeline posted at Mitsubishi's booth.

While in Japan, parked on the street, I did see either a ICE Mitsubishi i (Mitsubishi i - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) or i-Miev. Not sure which it was. I looked around but didn't snap pictures, I don't think. (smacks head)

At Tokyo Motor Show, there seemed to be a lot more emphasis (as in displays/booths) on hydrogen FCEVs and their fueling infrastructure than anything EV/PHEV related. Honda had at least a 2nd booth showing their next gen Clarity FCX. At that booth and/or others, there was companies showing their hydrogen fueling stations.
-- end --

I also saw 1 of EV / Products Line-up / Products / TOYOTA AUTO BODY parked in some EV car sharing program spot. I'm guessing it's similar to Zipcar.

In short, (surprisingly) other than at auto shows (doesn't count) or Nissan HQ, I saw almost no EVs that I know of, let alone any Teslas. Perhaps I visited the "wrong" areas? Maybe big cities (e.g. Fukuoka, Kobe, Osaka, Nagoya and Tokyo) are less likely to have high EV penetration?

- - - Updated - - -

Indeed, and there was the report at Japan - Page 2, that a Model S wouldn't fit that guy's "mechanical parking". If you don't know what that is, see Japan. I haven't followed any updates about that guy on that subject. He did respond to this thread. :)

And yes, I saw that type of parking all over the place in Japan. Some people call them "car elevators".

Also, in Japan, I saw plenty of Gen 3 (2010-2015) Prius and a MUCH higher % of the smaller Prius c (named Aqua there) vs. regular Prius than what I see in California. For those who don't know what kei cars and kei vans are: Kei car - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Thanks for your sharing.:D

I'm "the guy" who parked my car in the mechanical parking at home. Yes it fit with 19 inch wheels.

BTW here most people don't use a car to commute in cities. They use public transportation, especially in Tokyo companies don't allow employees to drive to the office as there are zero employee parking. I pay 542 USD for my work parking and 333 USD for my home parking (I own the condo but parkings usually can't be owned). That's one of the reasons you don't see many Tesla in Tokyo. I drive one every day but I usually don't see any EVs at all. Kei cars have 50% market share. Also, roads are narrow but not that bad in Tokyo.

I think Model X has serious issues here as it is too wide. Model S barely OK, but Model X not acceptably wide... there are metered street parkings in many locations, and they have flaps to stop the tire to force payment. 5 minutes after you park, the flaps come up. Once you pay, the flaps go down. The problem is with Model X you can't fit in the space so you have to use two neighboring spaces and pay double.

I'm "the guy" who parked my car in the mechanical parking at home. Yes it fit with 19 inch wheels.

BTW here most people don't use a car to commute in cities. They use public transportation, especially in Tokyo companies don't allow employees to drive to the office as there are zero employee parking. I pay 542 USD for my work parking and 333 USD for my home parking (I own the condo but parkings usually can't be owned). That's one of the reasons you don't see many Tesla in Tokyo. I drive one every day but I usually don't see any EVs at all. Kei cars have 50% market share. Also, roads are narrow but not that bad in Tokyo.

I think Model X has serious issues here as it is too wide. Model S barely OK, but Model X not acceptably wide... there are metered street parkings in many locations, and they have flaps to stop the tire to force payment. 5 minutes after you park, the flaps come up. Once you pay, the flaps go down. The problem is with Model X you can't fit in the space so you have to use two neighboring spaces and pay double.

That makes sense, I would have thought I would see many small EVs. My model S is 4 inches wider and 10in longer than my old BMW X5. I think your model S here must also stand out as a big car. I do use public transport which today was very very crowded and compressed . I went from Shinjuku to Tokyo and got a really good butt massage but I had no idea who to thank.

Now you come to mention it, I have been in Tokyo Japan a week now and not seen a single Tesla. In Beijing in December I saw a few every day. I also haven't seen any electric and only a few hybrids.

I think what you say is true. I DIDN'T see a single Tesla during my stay in Japan. Now I'm back in CHINA.

- - - Updated - - -

That makes sense, I would have thought I would see many small EVs. My model S is 4 inches wider and 10in longer than my old BMW X5. I think your model S here must also stand out as a big car. I do use public transport which today was very very crowded and compressed . I went from Shinjuku to Tokyo and got a really good butt massage but I had no idea who to thank.

Oh my god,That's what i want to say!