Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There are no words - Irresponsible driver crashes Model Y into building

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It was a mistake on the part of the dealer to allow the car out for a test drive without a sales person riding along. I was a partner in a GM dealership for thirty years. That was our practice. Your exposure, and liability, in departing from this practice is severe. Having said that, most dealers arrive at this policy only after being burned by being lax. Not a shred of responsibility shown by these young men. :mad:

Showrooms are all directly owned by Tesla, and I would think because of this have the same rules about test drives. I know that you can even get an over night test drive. If the Florida showroom involved had refused to allow an un-accompanied test drive, the demographic of the drivers and the fact that they were denied a test drive would have been all over social media. A half destroyed MY LR is less expensive than social media shade.

I have watched the video several times, and even as recklessly fast as the driver was going, he still should have been able to stop before getting to the road. I think that while braking going over the dips in the parking lot, the car lost traction (almost complete loss of braking force) and the driver thought that the brakes were not working (you can hear him saying this in the video), and stopped pressing the brake pedal (he didn't say this part, but he was in a panic at that point).

Any other reason he wouldn't have been able to stop that I am missing? The brakes on the MY are fantastic, so I am calling it driver error / panic.

Keith

PS: Just watched it again, and it looks like the brake lights go out after he hit the second dip in the parking lot... can anyone with a larger laptop screen confirm?

Last edited:
Showrooms are all directly owned by Tesla, and I would think because of this have the same rules about test drives. I know that you can even get an over night test drive. If the Florida showroom involved had refused to allow an un-accompanied test drive, the demographic of the drivers and the fact that they were denied a test drive would have been all over social media. A half destroyed MY LR is less expensive than social media shade.

I have watched the video several times, and even as recklessly fast as the driver was going, he still should have been able to stop before getting to the road. I think that while braking going over the dips in the parking lot, the car lost traction (almost complete loss of braking force) and the driver thought that the brakes were not working (you can hear him saying this in the video), and stopped pressing the brake pedal (he didn't say this part, but he was in a panic at that point).

Any other reason he wouldn't have been able to stop that I am missing? The brakes on the MY are fantastic, so I am calling it driver error / panic.

Keith

PS: Just watched it again, and it looks like the brake lights go out after he hit the second dip in the parking lot... can anyone with a larger laptop screen confirm?
Looks to me like after the wheels left the ground, he was on the brakes for just a moment then let off. He might have panicked as you said.

I posted this on TMC because the vehicle that was involved was a Tesla Model Y. From other postings and videos on Reddit and Youtube this individual has a history of abusing and trashing expensive vehicles, i.e BMW 550i. In at least one video he is shown with a woman who appears to be his mother. He (they?) are buying a BMW from a dealership. I choose to label this as a case of Affluenza like that teen in Texas who ultimately crashed a pickup truck while heavily intoxicated and killed and permanently injured (paralyzed) his victims. If, as a result of this video, a judge does not take away this person's driver's license for at least 1 year they are not doing their job.

I’m totally at a loss as to why the hell the airbags didn’t deploy!!

Because the impact to the front end wasn’t hard enough. Both the hedge and the glass front of the building weren’t solid enough to trigger an airbag deployment. The guy just walked away from the accident and the front end didn’t look completely destroyed.

Keith

Actually, I made the assumption that this was a used Tesla, from a legacy dealer. Don't know why, just did. At any rate, legacy dealers operate from several different realities than a Tesla store. For one thing, they contract for their own liability insurance, not the manufacturer's. For another thing, many have gone away from maintaining fleets of demos for the purpose of giving test drives. Test drives by prospects are more often with cars in stock, hence the accompanied requirement. Those maintained as service loaners go out on a rental contract. In reality there occur many deviations from "policy" and this is probably the greatest liability exposure for a dealership. And, I have been away from the industry for eleven years now - so consider my experience dated. Bottom line, hard to tell who's going to be a bad actor, eh?

It was a mistake on the part of the dealer to allow the car out for a test drive without a sales person riding along. I was a partner in a GM dealership for thirty years. That was our practice. Your exposure, and liability, in departing from this practice is severe. Having said that, most dealers arrive at this policy only after being burned by being lax. Not a shred of responsibility shown by these young men. :mad:
Or putting the car in VALET mode or reducing its top speed with a PIN.

Reactions: jpfive
They are Youtubers, and there is a breed of these types making hundred million+ per year for such stunts on YouTube. Crash is real, but the driver airbag was not deployed and driver was not in the car; it was made to look this way. You can find other videos with such stunts on YouTube. The key issue here is why YouTube policies don't kick in a ban this crap from being produced and making money.

• Disagree
Reactions: Big Earl
On the sound track you can hear a screech of tires that lasts for several seconds right up until the crash.
Seems strange that there are no skid marks on the road.

Watch the video again. There are slid marks and gouges in the road leading up to the building. Looks pretty real to me.

C2422C44-087D-42BD-98CC-4C11B61AB355.jpg
E2B216D9-D619-4406-8F71-4204A95852E0.jpeg
DD263B6C-D78B-43BA-B52D-F155BDD73B5E.jpeg

Reactions: MorrisonHiker