Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There are no words - Irresponsible driver crashes Model Y into building

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are Youtubers, and there is a breed of these types making hundred million+ per year for such stunts on YouTube. Crash is real, but the driver airbag was not deployed and driver was not in the car; it was made to look this way. You can find other videos with such stunts on YouTube. The key issue here is why YouTube policies don't kick in a ban this crap from being produced and making money. The video is also recorded without interruption from start to finish.

There’s no way it was staged. The airbag didn’t deploy because almost all of the speed had been scrubbed by the time it impacted the building and glass front buildings are pretty soft in terms of impact.

Last edited:
I had no idea that his was a "pattern" for these kids and that it was a YouTube $$$ thing. That sucks pretty badly, but it may mean that they do have the capital to pay for the car/damage. Either way, putting lives at risk is pretty dumb all around. Hopefully they learn from it, and dial back their antics in the future.

As for the "lack of stopping" my theory is:
1) A huge cloud of dust flew up after he went over the grate (sand/dust/who knows), so there appears to be a low grip condition at his initial braking point.
2) He hit a curb perpendicular to his trajectory, so he likely broke some things(s) in the suspension/steering at that point (ABS sensor?).
3) The car was likely airborne for some amount of time (look at the gouges in the parking lot just before the storefront he went through, they are where the center of the car would be, suggesting the battery pack was contacting the ground. It would take a lot of downward force to do that.
4) If you look at the position of the car after it came to rest, the rear suspension appears to be compressed. Not sure if this is from broken components or from the weight of the cargo above?
5) Dude likely panicked from a combination of all the above (+ a healthy fear of "going to jail") and his foot accidentally came off the pedal.

Also, IMO, the airbags should have gone off. The front of the car is crumpled, that should not happen without at least one airbag deployment.

Also, IMO, the airbags should have gone off. The front of the car is crumpled, that should not happen without at least one airbag deployment.

F0A0D888-35A0-44C0-AACF-7B75DEAC69FC.jpeg

The impact damage isn’t very severe. The hood is bent, but again, the impact was pretty mild and without rapid deceleration. The car is only a few feet into the building and that aluminum beam and glass didn’t provide much resistance. The final impact is basically the equivalent of a fender bender, which rarely set off car airbags.

Airbags aren't fluffy pillows, they're pyrotechnic restraints that can and do cause injury. They should only deploy when life-threatening injuries are at risk, which is clearly not the case here.
They're not...wow! I'm shocked... ;)

I never suggested that airbags were soft snuggly stuffies, only that if the front end crumples, in my opinion, the airbags should deploy. In this picture, it appears as though the front end did crumple up quite a bit, unless I'm reading some warehouse debris as vehicle damage (anything is possible as I was not there). To me, the A pillar appears to have cracked, the hood appears buckled, and who knows what other damage there is that cannot be seen from this angle.
Inked1C_LI.jpg

In the end, it doesn't matter what I think, but what the car senses and is programmed to do. Not my car, not my problem. Just my opinion.

I never suggested that airbags were soft snuggly stuffies, only that if the front end crumples, in my opinion, the airbags should deploy. In this picture, it appears as though the front end did crumple up quite a bit, unless I'm reading some warehouse debris as vehicle damage (anything is possible as I was not there). To me, the A pillar appears to have cracked, the hood appears buckled, and who knows what other damage there is that cannot be seen from this angle.View attachment 706009

In the end, it doesn't matter what I think, but what the car senses and is programmed to do. Not my car, not my problem. Just my opinion.
They are designed to deploy in very specific deceleration events. If the amount of deceleration doesn't meet that criteria, they don't deploy. The front end of modern vehicles is designed to crumple to absorb the impact and slow deceleration. Simply having lots of front end damage is not the criteria for airbags to deploy, nor should it be. If the driver had hit his head or appeared to be injured, there'd be an argument that they should have deployed. We don't have any of that information from this video. It would be interesting to see if the vehicle owner/dealer etc., has the video of the even from the car's cameras.

No airbags?

If you look at the front end damage, it's not that bad, so he had probably slowed down below the airbag threshold before hitting what amounts to a very soft wall that cushioned the blow.

And he didn't appear injured at all, so it seems like the airbag logic did the right thing.
He certainly didn't seem to be any more concussed or dim-witted than he did at the start, or in his other videos. Maybe the airbag going off would have helped knock some sense into him, or perhaps some kind of auto-slapping device could do that. Still, lesson learned, I'm sure he's not going to do this again /s

Showrooms are all directly owned by Tesla, and I would think because of this have the same rules about test drives. I know that you can even get an over night test drive. If the Florida showroom involved had refused to allow an un-accompanied test drive, the demographic of the drivers and the fact that they were denied a test drive would have been all over social media. A half destroyed MY LR is less expensive than social media shade.

When I did my test drives, they made me not just show, but upload copies of my DL and insurance, and you'd think that at the very least a non-Tesla location would have similar requirements

I never suggested that airbags were soft snuggly stuffies, only that if the front end crumples, in my opinion, the airbags should deploy. In this picture, it appears as though the front end did crumple up quite a bit, unless I'm reading some warehouse debris as vehicle damage (anything is possible as I was not there). To me, the A pillar appears to have cracked, the hood appears buckled, and who knows what other damage there is that cannot be seen from this angle.

The driver appeared to have sustained zero injuries and verbally stated that he was fine to his friends. Your opinion that an explosive device should have detonated in front of him to prevent him from being injured is over ridden by fact that airbag deployment was not needed to prevent injuries.

Keith

He certainly didn't seem to be any more concussed or dim-witted than he did at the start, or in his other videos. Maybe the airbag going off would have helped knock some sense into him, or perhaps some kind of auto-slapping device could do that. Still, lesson learned, I'm sure he's not going to do this again /s
LOL, if he gets a crap load of views and doesn't have serious legal consequences I would expect him to start intentionally crashing cars on test drives instead of just abusing them.

Keith

No airbags deployed?

Also, you easily could have made a better thread title. There are words.
Well, you can see tire tracks, so the car definitely slowed down before impact. Further, he hit what looks like aluminum framing for the windows, which don't have much mass... The airbag sensors are usually on the bumper frame, and typically are designed to only trigger in impacts > 35mph. I'm thinking the car slowed enough, or the mass of the aluminum framing wasn't sufficient to decelerate the vehicle fast enough to trigger, or both.

Every dealership is different... When I was younger, I met my wife after work at the Lexus dealer. We both came from client meetings, so we were both wearing suits at the time.... I was looking at a GS300 at the time... Lexus dealer refused to let me even look at the car, let alone test drive it... They actually told me, and I quote, "Get out of the car, and come back with your parents. We are not in the business of letting high schoolers come and joyride in our vehicles". (Yeah, **** you Lexus of Portland)

We went to the BMW dealer a few days later... I was just wearing shorts and a T shirt, since it was a Saturday... They didn't even bother accompanying me. They gave me the keys and told me to be back within 30-40 minutes...

It was a mistake on the part of the dealer to allow the car out for a test drive without a sales person riding along. I was a partner in a GM dealership for thirty years. That was our practice. Your exposure, and liability, in departing from this practice is severe. Having said that, most dealers arrive at this policy only after being burned by being lax. Not a shred of responsibility shown by these young men. :mad:

I'll never buy a car from a dealer who insists on riding along. It's an awkward and terrible purchasing experience.

Reactions: Big Earl