Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

there are panel gaps and then panel G A P S !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just coming from a 12 Benz... and I knew what i was getting into fit and finish wise this car but cum on.. its this really the "NORM"?? (i can stick my small finger all the way in.. (no punns) ;)
this is at the base of windshield where back of hood, fender and a-pillar come together, i can EASILY see wire loom behind.

Attachments

• 20170827_200605.jpg
    20170827_200605.jpg
    845.1 KB · Views: 1,203
Shouldn't the question be:

Why in the world would Tesla accept that for delivery??? :)
I guess I didn't feel a need to state the obvious. :) Tesla's mistakes aren't under the OP's control. Rejecting it is under the OP's control. A simple 'I was so excited at delivery that I totally missed it' works.

I'm also interested what Tesla said when the OP contacted them with the same photo. I'm sure you are, too.

Reactions: AnxietyRanger
just coming from a 12 Benz... and I knew what i was getting into fit and finish wise this car but cum on.. its this really the "NORM"?? (i can stick my small finger all the way in.. (no punns) ;)
this is at the base of windshield where back of hood, fender and a-pillar come together, i can EASILY see wire loom behind.

My goodness. Even in 1992 Lexus had this figured out and even had a commercial with the famous ball bearing. I guess our Tesla's are tested with a bowling ball instead. o_O

Why in the world would you accept that???
I was in a pinch where I needed the car back that evening, it is scheduled to go back in in the future to have them aligned "within inspects" the tech said....

Looks like this car has had some terrible bodywork done. Was the car in a crash before you got it?

No it's a 2017! I took delivery of it 1700 miles ago. I took it in to have the left Hood hinge replaced because it was loose at the Joint which was riveted. And also other panel gaps on the rear hatch that were almost as big on one side.

And a very annoying rattle in the rear driver side door lever area that all my passengers comment on.

The hood never sat flush with the fenders either but I did not want to over complain and get people pissed and be a whiner since it is the only service facility in our area.

not super happy because I never spent this much on a car before!

All these things were not noticed or present at delivery time I really noticed the panel gaps when I wash the car and the wash rag could easily get into the gaps along with my fingertips

I'm really really trying to keep from letting all the fit and finish problems get to me.

I guess I didn't feel a need to state the obvious. :) Tesla's mistakes aren't under the OP's control. Rejecting it is under the OP's control. A simple 'I was so excited at delivery that I totally missed it' works.

I'm also interested what Tesla said when the OP contacted them with the same photo. I'm sure you are, too.

I have not I have not contacted Tesla corporate just the service center because this happened on the weekend but obviously the service center saw it when they replaced it and still released it calling it fixed I didn't have time to stay and argue I needed the car back that day.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
My goodness. Even in 1992 Lexus had this figured out and even had a commercial with the famous ball bearing. I guess our Tesla's are tested with a bowling ball instead. o_O

I actually remember that commercial! Haha I don't think a marbled would roll down the gaps it would fall through. every car I have seen or had has had better panel alignment no matter how cheap the price was

Reactions: boonedocks
I was in a pinch where I needed the car back that evening, it is scheduled to go back in in the future to have them aligned "within inspects" the tech said....

All these things were not noticed or present at delivery time I really noticed the panel gaps when I wash the car and the wash rag could easily get into the gaps along with my fingertips

I'm really really trying to keep from letting all the fit and finish problems get to me.

I have not I have not contacted Tesla corporate just the service center because this happened on the weekend but obviously the service center saw it when they replaced it and still released it calling it fixed I didn't have time to stay and argue I needed the car back that day.

Would love to hear back regarding how the service center handles. Hang in there.

I just noticed you have the same service center that I use - they've taken really good care of me and have at least one or two very experienced techs (not always true). Hopefully you'll report back the same.

Without even looking at that picture, I knew it was the hood.....

Wow... 3/8" is huge. I've got 1/4" gaps along the hood which I thought were excessive.

Panel fitment is so inconsistent. Just got my car back from 3 weeks at the body shop to correct ill fitting hatch and misaligned door.
View attachment 244234View attachment 244235
I have those as well but compared to the hood they aren't quite as bad.

I used to I used to take my Tesla to car shows quite a bit but got tired of everybody pointing out these things to me. { and I already knew they were there, got tired of repeatedly having to defend Tesla with the new car company story and forgiveness etc etc}

I really love hearing all the I really love hearing all the different kind of cars I could have got for the same money :-(