Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There is a dead bug inside the driving light enclosure; How do I remove?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a day of driving I noticed that there is a dead insect inside the "enclosure" holding the driving/turn signal lights. It got in so I'm sure I can get it out, BUT HOW?

Attachments

• IMG_3559.jpg
    IMG_3559.jpg
    337 KB · Views: 132
These assemblies are sealed and without baking them in the oven or using some very fine heat gun skills, cutting them apart and then re-sealing them... you are not getting in there.

Far cheaper to pickup a used unit and swap than to try to get the insect out.

While at it, you can consider swapping to EMEA/APAC assemblies or ones with fogs and the DRL strip if your particular configuration lacks those features and only has the position lights and amber reflectors.

In the case of the high beam lights, if you had to replace a bulb, you need to remove the full frunk cover,
I think there are 9 bolts of 11 mm, this is not too difficult to do.

However to access the turn signal and the fog light, I wonder if you have to access them from the front wheelhouse instead.

These assemblies are sealed and without baking them in the oven or using some very fine heat gun skills, cutting them apart and then re-sealing them... you are not getting in there.

Far cheaper to pickup a used unit and swap than to try to get the insect out.

While at it, you can consider swapping to EMEA/APAC assemblies or ones with fogs and the DRL strip if your particular configuration lacks those features and only has the position lights and amber reflectors.
and FAR cheaper to quit looking and ignore the bug, maybe thinking of it as a feature instead.

Indeed, best to access these by peeling back the front half of the front wheel well liners. Couple of bolts, wiring harnesses, a wire holding clip or two and some easy to break clips along the top of the housing - and they come out and go back in.

This has been detailed circa when people started pulling these out to swap and mod since mid 2018 or so and then when the SR cars and non-fog assemblies or no amber reflector EMEA/APAC assemblies came out.

Good news, no need to pull the bumper or remove the frunk tub. Bad news, the clips along the top of the housing are very easy to break, and yes, best to just leave it. You will be the only perso who knows or cares.

Yes, no idea how he got in, unless via one of the wire weather seal grommets or a crack that you cant see until the assembly is removed from the car.

There are indeed a lot of aftermarket items for these cars (popularity and mass production since 2019 did the trick). Sadly most are of questionable quality and/or severely overpriced (Tesla tax) for what they are.

Best to keep the car stock or as stock as possible. Might actually be worth something after a decade or more this way or at least not cost you as much when it comes time to trade-in/up, sell, etc.