TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

There is a scratch on my new Model S!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by jetsettingrph, Sep 16, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jetsettingrph

jetsettingrph Member

I was clear ing my car today and noticed my car got keyed!!! some low life f-faced keyed my baby! I can't even believe this. reviewing my dash cam footage right now. hopefully I find something. you guys think I can remove this scratch on my own?

Attached Files:

• Funny x 5
  2. number12

number12 Active Member

Huh? Almost zero chance that was intentional.

Also looks like it could be buffed out fairly easily.

• Like x 6
  3. croman

croman Active Member

Yes, get a scratch removal product. It doesn't look like it did much to the clear coat. You might just want to try cleaning with a soft cotton cloth...

4. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

A scratch on a new car is always bad. But I agree that doesn't look like an intentional scratch. If you really got keyed, it would be in much more obvious place (eg driver side door) and much deeper. The scratch doesn't look deep, probably fixable.

5. skitown

skitown Supporting Member

A friendly large dog and his jangly collar just did something similar to the passenger door of my S the other day while I was stopped and chatting with his owner. I'm cautiously optimistic it will buff out.

6. Bebop

Bebop Member

I've seen many incidents like this in the forums. clear bra your car! Worth every penny. I plan on doing it the same day I take delivery of my car.

• Like x 2
  7. jetsettingrph

jetsettingrph Member

I did clear bra my front.. not the back

8. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

When you said your car got keyed, my initial thought was like this:
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 11
    • Like x 4
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  9. jetsettingrph

jetsettingrph Member

I think someone attempted to steal my car. when I got out of the hospital the handle didn't come out automatically. the inside of my car was completely dark and did not respond to my remote. I had to manually unlock my car to get in. this morning as I was cleaning my car I see this! people really have no respect for others hard earned money. I called the hospital to get security footage since my dash cam recorded over the files. the security team call me back saying they don't store footage and only have love feed! wth!!!

10. number12

number12 Active Member

Now I'm just assuming you are seeing how far this thread can go.. your evidence for possible theft and intentional damage is weak at best.

• Like x 4
  11. jetsettingrph

jetsettingrph Member

My car was damaged and I came on this forum looking for help. didn't know some people can be do rude as to try to say I made this up. thanks for those that offered advice on how to fix the scratch. if this happened to your car you would be upset too.

12. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

Could you lead me through the steps of how you manually unlocked your vehicle when the remote was not working. This may help find the culprit.

• Like x 3
  13. jetsettingrph

jetsettingrph Member

I used my app to unlock the car. the key fob did not work. I had to start the car using app with keyless feature.

14. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Why do you believe that a non-working remote is caused by someone trying to steal your car? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm trying to understand your reasoning.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  15. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I would say the scratches are stupidity/inconsideration and likely not malace.

Purse, briefcase, computer bag, etc. perhaps someone stopped by your car when chatting with someone else. Look like they will buff out easily.

• Like x 1
  16. Carl

Carl Supporting Member

argh, that hurts. Can I unsee this please :)?

• Like x 1
  17. GoTslaGo

GoTslaGo Learning Member

Quick questions:

Did the Fob work later? (Seeing if the battery died)

Do you have energy saver mode on? (Maybe the S was powered down? We don't use the energy saver mode, some have said the car acts funny with it).

Did the scratch buff out, as others suggest you try? (Suspect not malice, more likely negligence)

• Like x 1
  18. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Member

Agreed with others, that doesn’t look like the car got “keyed”, just someone walking by accidentally scratched it. Among other reasons, if you’re going to maliciously key someone’s car, you’re going to do it somewhere obvious and deep. I can’t see someone bending down to carefully put light scratches on the corner of the bumper.

My other car(thank god) got actually keyed a couple months ago and it’s a giant sin wave shape the entire way down the drivers side.

• Like x 1
  19. robski

robski Member

Agreed. Or this is one of the most considerate disfiguring ever.

20. NathanielHrnblwr

looks like a shopping cart scratch

• Helpful x 1