TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

There is one objective advantage the 3 has over the S and X

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by lupend88, Aug 25, 2017.

1. lupend88

lupend88 Member

Minimalism.

I'm aware the S and X can be argued as faster cars or more "luxurious" (which is a subjective term) but in terms of minimalism, the 3 has them both beat. As a minimalist, this excites me. A dash that is cleaner along with a fob that is cleaner (having it being absorbed into your smartphone) are both things that the S and X do not currently offer.

• Like x 2
  2. chronopc

chronopc Member

Model 3 is also half the price. :D

• Like x 3
  3. Runt8

Runt8 Member

The 3 is objectively more minimalist, but minimalism as an advantage is subjective.

• Like x 15
  4. WhiskySTL

WhiskySTL Member

I agree with Runt8. I love the look... but I do wish they had at least combined it with HUD.

• Like x 3
  5. chronopc

chronopc Member

A HUD would have been awesome. What vehicle on the market has the best HUD right now?

6. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

The 2018 Camry has a HUD:

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 2
  7. tony b

tony b Member

Agreed! it is subjective, but i loooove the minimalist design. less is more

8. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

The camry is super UGLY ! and boring. so go ahead "go places" with your Toyota

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  9. kev1n

kev1n Member

there have been so many threads S VS 3 VS X, cant we all just enjoy what Tesla made? the cars are made for different target audiences to fit a variety of profiles

• Like x 3
  10. chronopc

chronopc Member

That looks pretty legit.

• Like x 1
  11. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

Dash is definitely more minimalist, not sure about the rest though. For instance Model S doesn't have the pockets in the doors and such while Model 3 has more conventional looking bits there.

But in any case, I agree with you that the clean dash is really nice looking I think it was a great call.

12. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

Yeah...surprised with all the Tesla tech.......why no HUD. A "super UGLY ! and boring" Camry has it.

I drove a Prius Prime with a color HUD..prob the same as the Camry...and it was really cool. Maybe Tesla will offer a OTA upgrade for the HUD ;).

13. internalaudit

internalaudit Member

The one advantage I can think of is we can use one hand to signal 3 but need two hands to signal an S or X, this is outside of sign language, which I'm not quite familiar with.

14. chronopc

chronopc Member

OTA upgrade would be awesome. I've looked at some HUD devices and they are all terrible.

15. CarlitoDoc

CarlitoDoc Member

If this is about the HUD, that horse has been beaten to death multiple times and then some. Also the Prius is uglier than the Camry, good luck with that one.

• Disagree x 1
  16. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

A dumb HUD is not even worth mentioning... mixed reality HUD or go home is what I say.

17. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

Sorry..wasnt paying attention to the beatings...what was the reason why a HUD wasn't included? Cuz we wouldn't care about such things cuz the intent of the car was because of FSD vaporware and some car sharing pipe dream?

Yep..Prius Prime is uglier...but it does come with a HUD (not mixed reality..but still cool..maybe next gen google glass or similar will take care of that), Heated Steering Wheel, Smart Key FOB...and prob wont have an overnight stay at the service center.

• Like x 1
  18. codex57

codex57 Member

I certainly don't consider the minimalist interior to be an advantage, let alone an objective one. But I like the rest of the car so I can live with the minimalistic interior.

19. WhiskySTL

WhiskySTL Member

HUD involves a projector built into the dash, which projects the image onto the windshield. So... I don't think we'll have much luck there. :(

20. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Don't be surprised if the hardware for HUD just "shows up" at some point. So has been the case with Model S over the years as everything from parking sensors to front radar "just showed up" one day.