Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There is one objective advantage the 3 has over the S and X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Don't be surprised if the hardware for HUD just "shows up" at some point. So has been the case with Model S over the years as everything from parking sensors to front radar "just showed up" one day.
I suppose that hope dies eternal... but the HUD projector is not a tiny piece of equipment in an out-of-the-way location like a parking sensor.

Heads-Head-Up-Display-HUD-Dash-Projector-Screen-BMW-650i-E63-06-07-62309154605-271768712403-9.jpg

I suppose that hope dies eternal... but the HUD projector is not a tiny piece of equipment in an out-of-the-way location like a parking sensor.

True, but neither was a forward facing radar, multiple new sensors and all the associated wiring when that came along in the S. Owners were receiving cars and had no idea what all this "stuff" was because the hardware pre-dated the announcement and software release. If someone at Tesla (i.e. Elon) thinks HUD is a good idea, then you can bet at some point it will show up.

BTW, this has been a very frustrating thing for S owners. Tesla doesn't iterate by model year, they just start adding stuff as soon as it's ready. Many buyers have "missed out" on these upgrades by literally days. Sure, they got what they ordered and paid for, but it's gotta sting a bit when, for example, AP hardware is magically released the day after you take delivery.

Reactions: pilotSteve
True, but neither was a forward facing radar, multiple new sensors and all the associated wiring when that came along in the S. Owners were receiving cars and had no idea what all this "stuff" was because the hardware pre-dated the announcement and software release. If someone at Tesla (i.e. Elon) thinks HUD is a good idea, then you can bet at some point it will show up.

BTW, this has been a very frustrating thing for S owners. Tesla doesn't iterate by model year, they just start adding stuff as soon as it's ready. Many buyers have "missed out" on these upgrades by literally days. Sure, they got what they ordered and paid for, but it's gotta sting a bit when, for example, AP hardware is magically released the day after you take delivery.

Oh yeah, I get you. I thought you meant it was on the car but hidden / not activated yet... I was saying that the HUD HW would be kind of hard to miss.

That frustration/risk is why I'm partially glad I dragged my feet reserving a Model 3, as mine isn't slated to deliver until April to June. Doesn't mean they won't add HUD on July 1, of course... o_O

Yeah...surprised with all the Tesla tech.......why no HUD. A "super UGLY ! and boring" Camry has it.

I drove a Prius Prime with a color HUD..prob the same as the Camry...and it was really cool. Maybe Tesla will offer a OTA upgrade for the HUD ;).

I spoke with a rep at the National Sales office yesterday, and she was not willing to rule out the possibility of XM, and/or one other more significant option, at a future date. It also seemed that she was interested in documenting my concerns, even at this late date.

Scannerman

Look guys, since there is no HUD hardware in the dash, the only option for a HUD worth bothering with is going to be a pilots helmet with a targeting monocle HUD. Think how much better it will be.. 360* Hud coverage rather than one little spot in front of you.

And the Tesla has forward radar right? So for minimal additional hardware cost someone could add frunk mounted radar guided missile launcher and as well as saving the environment in our emissionless EVs we could also rid the world of bad drivers. :)

• Funny
Reactions: brucet999 and DR61
Look guys, since there is no HUD hardware in the dash...

Yet. Which was my point. If the Model S experience is anything to go by, Tesla just keeps adding goodies to the car on a continuous ongoing basis whenever they feel like it (i.e. not by "model year" as with traditional auto makers). I am certainly not saying it WILL happen, but it COULD happen that HUD hardware just starts showing up on new cars someday followed by enabling software after that.

It does already :) but we should say objectively "smaller turning radius"... instead of "better" as some people [trolls] might think a larger turning radius is more desirable for some odd reason?? o_O
"If I had a larger turning radius I wouldn't have hit that nail that destroyed my tire and caused me to go flying off the bridge and kill my entire family!"

Look guys, since there is no HUD hardware in the dash, the only option for a HUD worth bothering with is going to be a pilots helmet with a targeting monocle HUD. Think how much better it will be.. 360* Hud coverage rather than one little spot in front of you.

And the Tesla has forward radar right? So for minimal additional hardware cost someone could add frunk mounted radar guided missile launcher and as well as saving the environment in our emissionless EVs we could also rid the world of bad drivers. :)

"Use the Force, Luke..."

Review_LukeSkywalkerInXwingFighterPilotGearPOTF2R_stillB.jpg