Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There is something to be said for remote issue diagnosis...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remote issue diagnosis is definitely the way of the future. After noticing my HPWC only is able to charge at 40A instead of the usual 80A, I called the support line, which promptly diagnosed my issue as a failure of one of the on-board chargers. They notified my closest Service Center who will hopefully come out with a loaner soon. In the meantime I am reduced to slow charging at home... No big deal...

My level of frustration, however, is at an all-time low in comparison with an issue with my ICE SUV that I would have had to take the dealership to get diagnosed and serviced.

Tesla: 1, ICE: 0.

Remote issue diagnosis is definitely the way of the future. After noticing my HPWC only is able to charge at 40A instead of the usual 80A, I called the support line, which promptly diagnosed my issue as a failure of one of the on-board chargers. They notified my closest Service Center who will hopefully come out with a loaner soon. In the meantime I am reduced to slow charging at home... No big deal...

My level of frustration, however, is at an all-time low in comparison with an issue with my ICE SUV that I would have had to take the dealership to get diagnosed and serviced.

Well, OnStar does remote diagnosis, so it's really not an ICE thing. if anything there's a Tesla Service v Manufacturers keeping dealerships happy.

When I bought it was purely thinking about long distance travel on Canada's Sun Country highway, many chargers being 90 or 100A (delivering 72 or 80 continuous) and me wanting to be able to get the wife out of there as quickly as possible before any ... boredom ... started up. I hadn't even twigged that dual would give breakdown redundancy. Now I'm even happier!

I'm assuming your service center is Norristown, if so you may not end up with a loaner. They only have one and it is always booked, I was in an enterprise rental for three days while they were fixing the bluetooth issue in mine.

Good for you that it gets worked out quickly. Also your post makes me more confident that choosing the twin charger option does give redunancy (important reason why I bought it).
I'm not sure we know that...

Sam - Did they say whether it was the master or the slave charger?

My understanding thus far is that if the master charger went haywire, the slave wouldn't help any.

My understanding thus far is that if the master charger went haywire, the slave wouldn't help any.

They didn't specify. Will ask. I am actually now on hold with them again since my rear right door unlatches when I hit park. Just started happening! We went for a walk in the park and came back to sit in car and put car in drive and car says door open. Now we didn't notice that there was a door open when we left it and when we came back handles presented properly. It must have unlatched when we sat? Now drove home and parked in driveway and it immediately unlatched.

Update: they are bewildered - never heard of this but will add this to my service notes. Just replicated issue by putting in drive and park again.

Last edited:

It must be the slave unit and not the master. I've had the master unit conk out and the dashboard message was "Car Unable to Charge" instead of a slower charge rate. BTW, the ranger fixed it in my garage - took about 3 hours to replace the unit.

Happened to me way out in the desert, and the slow charging meant an additional couple hours of charging so I could get to the next supercharger, which does not use the inverters.

In my case, the master inverter seemed to have forgotten the phone number of the slave and the slave was not contacted, though it was able to work. Needed a new master.

Let's not get into that master / slave relationship thing, either.

Anyway, it was way cool just phoning up Tesla, having their engineers download the records, and then calling me and telling me what was up. They even contacted my service center to get me set up to come in. Maybe not as cool was waiting in a truck stop restaurant for two hours, but, hey. Tesla still wins.

Take that, Toyota!

Good for you that it gets worked out quickly. Also your post makes me more confident that choosing the twin charger option does give redunancy (important reason why I bought it).

This was one of the reasons I purchased twin chargers as well. However, my understanding is that there is a master and a slave. If the master fails, you can't charge at all. Maybe you can ask one of the techs when they are working on your car?

However, my understanding is that there is a master and a slave. If the master fails, you can't charge at all.

That is correct. The charge port is tied to the master, and the slave gets its power from the master. If the master fails the slave has no way to get any power. It would be great if the power was fed to a failover controller which could determine if a charger had failed, but that would add cost, weight, and complexity. Note that the charger has to be programmed to become a master when the charger is installed.