Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There is talk of an announcement on 8/1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK I'll bite.... what, is an EIP agreement. How is it that both Toyota and Daimler have the agreement and expiring on the same day?

Fire Away!

Read this:

Beginning in 2008, we commenced efforts on a powertrain development arrangement with Daimler. In May 2009, we entered into a development agreement with Daimler under which we have performed specified research and development services for the development of a battery pack and charger for Daimler’s Smart fortwo electric drive. All development work related to the development agreement had been completed as of December 31, 2009. Through December 2011, we had sold over 2,100 battery packs and chargers for the Smart fortwo electric drive program. In the first quarter of 2010, Daimler engaged us to assist with the development and production of a battery pack and charger for a pilot fleet of its A-Class electric vehicles to be introduced in Europe during 2011. A formal agreement for this arrangement was entered into with Daimler in May 2010. In October 2010, we completed the development of the A-Class battery pack and charger and began shipping production parts in February 2011. Through December 2011, we sold over 500 battery packs and chargers for the A-Class EV program. In the first quarter of 2010, we completed the development and sale of modular battery packs for electric delivery vans for Freightliner, an affiliate of Daimler. Freightliner plans to use these electric vans in a limited number of customer trials.

In February 2012, we received an initial purchase order for the development of a full electric powertrain system for an additional Mercedes Benz vehicle from Daimler. We are negotiating the agreement for production parts for this B-Class program.
In addition to the agreements described above, we have entered into an exclusivity and intellectual property agreement (EIP Agreement) with Daimler North America Corporation (DNAC), an affiliate of Daimler, in which we agreed to begin negotiating in good faith to enter into further agreements within certain strategic cooperation areas, including technology collaboration in various electric powertrain areas, automotive engineering support, joint electric vehicle development efforts and access to component parts for Tesla designed products. Under this EIP Agreement, we agreed that, until November 11, 2009, we would not negotiate or enter into any agreements with other parties that would be competitive with the arrangements contemplated for these strategic cooperation areas, unless the results of such arrangement would be marketed solely under the Tesla brand. As of that date, we had not executed any further agreements with Daimler in the areas of strategic cooperation.
The EIP Agreement provides that ending July 2013, if the company receives an offer from a strategic competitor of Daimler to enter into an agreement for development of a non-Tesla branded vehicle or an integrated electric powertrain system, DNAC would be given the right of first refusal to enter into such agreement with the company instead of, and on the same terms offered by, the third party.
The EIP Agreement also provides that if we execute a strategic cooperation agreement with DNAC to jointly engineer an electric vehicle, then additional exclusivities would apply until July 2013, provided a minimum annual volume of sales is achieved. The EIP Agreement provides that none of the restrictions set out in that agreement, or in any strategic agreement, would limit us from developing technology with any third party for use in a Tesla-branded product or service or related to the Tesla Roadster or Model S, engaging in any transaction with a company that is not a Daimler competitor, or supplying components for electric powertrains that are designed by third parties.
The EIP Agreement also provides that if the parties enter into the strategic agreements or further agreements, those agreements will allocate intellectual property rights according to certain principles outlined in the EIP Agreement. In addition, until July 2013, before licensing intellectual property generated outside the scope of any strategic cooperation area to a Daimler competitor, we would first have to offer DNAC the right to license the intellectual property on a non-exclusive, royalty-bearing basis, or on an exclusive basis in the automotive field; and if DNAC requests the latter, we must negotiate such a license in good faith. If no agreement is reached, however, we would be free to license the technology to the Daimler competitor, and DNAC could take a non-exclusive license. Both we and Daimler have the right to terminate the EIP Agreement in the event the other party undergoes, or executes an agreement to undergo, a change of control. Any strategic cooperation agreements entered into between us and Daimler prior to termination will not be affected by such termination.
To date, with the exception of the development agreement for the Smart fortwo electric drive and the agreement for the development and production of a battery pack and charger for a pilot fleet of Daimler’s A-Class electric vehicles, the strategic agreements described in the EIP Agreement have not been entered into, and there can be no assurance that the parties will ever enter into such agreements. Even if we were to enter into such agreements, the parties may negotiate and agree to terms that are different to those set forth in the EIP Agreement and outlined above. Such different or new terms may be more or less favorable to us.
In addition to these agreements, Blackstar lnvestCo LLC (Blackstar), an affiliate of Daimler, beneficially owned 4,867,929 shares of our common stock as of December 31, 2012.

Source: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1318605/000119312513096241/d452995d10k.htm

It's amazing how much useful/interesting info is packed into a well-done 10k. I think those electric smartcars are going to sell really well, they're priced starting at like 25k, which is a heck of a lot more appealing than any of the other electric cars other than Model S.

They are a week from releasing earnings. There will be no Tesla announcement (outside of stuff like "opening another supercharger location").

The Q1 pre-announcement of profitability was about this much in advance of the official ER, was it not? Let's see if Elon tweets something tonight...

Elon does not seem to believe in the traditional "quiet period", he does not like waiting around for anything, it seems!

HI Everyone,

I have not been able to watch the site 'til now.
Yes, I have ONE POST, but not on many other BMW sites. I have owned 9 BMWs over the years and just but a deposit on a Model S. I have spent the two week period doing my homework. Visited the service facility, met the manager, had a bunch of questions, called Fremont several times and drove both performance and non performance models. I have a lot of loyalty to BMW, 3 euro deliveries, new cars, diesels, SUVs the gambit. This was my impression, like PDC and stuff like that. I feel that some of the tech stuff is cool but my bimmer is loaded with gadgets that I know how to work and use daily. You guys know what I talking about. I do notice several Model S driving around here and it is a conversation piece at the start......

HI Everyone,

I have not been able to watch the site 'til now.
Yes, I have ONE POST, but not on many other BMW sites. I have owned 9 BMWs over the years and just but a deposit on a Model S. I have spent the two week period doing my homework. Visited the service facility, met the manager, had a bunch of questions, called Fremont several times and drove both performance and non performance models. I have a lot of loyalty to BMW, 3 euro deliveries, new cars, diesels, SUVs the gambit. This was my impression, like PDC and stuff like that. I feel that some of the tech stuff is cool but my bimmer is loaded with gadgets that I know how to work and use daily. You guys know what I talking about. I do notice several Model S driving around here and it is a conversation piece at the start......

....so? How about this "rumor"? Where did it come from?

It could be the "official" announcement that some of the EU options (parking sensors, cold weather...) are going to be offered on US vehicles. I believe most expect this to occur any time now so maybe they will make an "announcement". Just my (hopeful) guess!

it's another several thousand $$ price increase for existing options to increase margins further (this is in addition to the already 21" wheel and air suspension price increase; so probably increase to tech package, sound system, etc; base price stays the same for marketing purposes). as well as announcing the European options now being available for US models (parking sensors, weather package, etc).

I think the announcement is tomorrow 8/2.
I heard from a reliable source that there may be an announcement tomorrow outlining some different options that a number of users have requested.
I was going to place my order today, and was told to wait until early next week.
Some of the hints sounded pretty good!

I think the announcement is tomorrow 8/2.
I heard from a reliable source that there may be an announcement tomorrow outlining some different options that a number of users have requested.
I was going to place my order today, and was told to wait until early next week.
Some of the hints sounded pretty good!

So there actually really could be something being announced tomorrow. We will see what's really going to happen tomorrow.

Is this the announcement?

FIRST CUSTOMER CARS ARE ON THEIR WAY!

The wait is nearly over and the final countdown has begun! Our Tilburg Assembly Plant is now fully operational and processing the very first European Model S customer cars. We look forward to getting Model S on the road as we start handing over keys.
We’ll be celebrating the arrival of the first European cars with delivery events in Oslo, Zurich and Tilburg in August. This initial activity will begin the ramp up of European deliveries, so if you have a Model S order, look out for a delivery email arriving in your inbox soon.

He wouldn't tell me much... but said I should wait until tomorrow before I put my deposit down.

Is this the announcement?

FIRST CUSTOMER CARS ARE ON THEIR WAY!

The wait is nearly over and the final countdown has begun! Our Tilburg Assembly Plant is now fully operational and processing the very first European Model S customer cars. We look forward to getting Model S on the road as we start handing over keys.
We’ll be celebrating the arrival of the first European cars with delivery events in Oslo, Zurich and Tilburg in August. This initial activity will begin the ramp up of European deliveries, so if you have a Model S order, look out for a delivery email arriving in your inbox soon.

Those two statements don't match.