Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"There will be something special", Who does this apply to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yep, the Model 3 appears like it'll have a key card entry, as evidenced by Doug Field holding his wallet as he entered. The poster on reddit who called the key card entry 3 weeks ago also claimed the car's main entry would be with a phone, which may imply a number of things:
1 App
2. Bluetooth
3. NFC

Of the three, only NFC would make sense as the "main form of entry", as it would be both the fastest and most reliable...and also likely use the same technology as the key card.

Start the speculation!

Reactions: EValuatED
Yep, the Model 3 appears like it'll have a key card entry, as evidenced by Doug Field holding his wallet as he entered. The poster on reddit who called the key card entry 3 weeks ago also claimed the car's main entry would be with a phone, which may imply a number of things:
1 App
2. Bluetooth
3. NFC

Of the three, only NFC would make sense as the "main form of entry", as it would be both the fastest and most reliable...and also likely use the same technology as the key card.

Start the speculation!
This would be terrible for so many reasons, e.g.: you'd have to give someone your phone if you wanted them to fetch something from your car; you'd need to use your phone to pop open the trunk, your phone needs to always be charged (what if you get stranded on the road and your phone dies!); you can't lend your car to someone without giving them your phone or asking them to install an app on their phone (what about valet!)

Reactions: Falkirk and DavidP
This would be terrible for so many reasons, e.g.: you'd have to give someone your phone if you wanted them to fetch something from your car; you'd need to use your phone to pop open the trunk, your phone needs to always be charged (what if you get stranded on the road and your phone dies!); you can't lend your car to someone without giving them your phone or asking them to install an app on their phone (what about valet!)
I thought the card would allow both entry and operation of the vehicle? In the video, Doug Field entered the car with only a card in his hand and then drove off; he didn't have to whip out his phone and fire up an app to do so. So, wouldn't you just give the card to the valet or the person borrowing your car?

...Whereas, if the 'something special' ended up being free lifetime supercharger. I could see some owners who don't really need that potentially feeling disappointed that their utility of the gift is not as much as it could be....
If someone was disappointed that they received free lifetime supercharging for putting down a deposit before the official reveal.... Well I think they would be a SUPER minority and would deserve public flogging.

I would agree. Not only is this method impractical, but it forces people (like my wife) to buy a smartphone so she can drive the car. Then she has to remember to carry it with her at all times (like that is going to happen) and keep it charged up (like that is going to happen.) And what if you misplace your phone? A fob in one's pocket or purse is easier and continues our habits that we learned when we first started driving.

If this sort of entry mechanism were true, Tesla is reducing its potential customer base.

Reactions: MP3Mike
There is zero chance that the Venn diagram of people who would drive a model three and people who don't have a smart phone already is big enough to make any difference whatsoever.

I'm not so sure about that if you add one more word in there compatible smart phone. I know a lot of people with a Windows 10 phone that want a Model 3. And Tesla doesn't currently have a Windows app.

Reactions: landis
I'm not so sure about that if you add one more word in there compatible smart phone. I know a lot of people with a Windows 10 phone that want a Model 3. And Tesla doesn't currently have a Windows app.

No you don't.
99.6 percent of new smartphones run Android or iOS

Windows market share dropped below 1% this year. And I'd wager that number is much lower in the potential Tesla owners group.

No you don't.
99.6 percent of new smartphones run Android or iOS

Windows market share dropped below 1% this year. And I'd wager that number is much lower in the potential Tesla owners group.
I understand your point, but surely I can't fathom Tesla going with a method of driving or unlocking/locking etc. the car such that it discriminates someone who doesn't have a smartphone or one running iOS or android.

I understand your point, but surely I can't fathom Tesla going with a method of driving or unlocking/locking etc. the car such that it discriminates someone who doesn't have a smartphone or one running iOS or android.

I agree, but not because of discrimination reasons. It's incredibly stupid to have some sort of app enabled feature that actually takes longer than taking your key out of your pocket and unlocking the car the old fashioned way.

I agree, but not because of discrimination reasons. It's incredibly stupid to have some sort of app enabled feature that actually takes longer than taking your key out of your pocket and unlocking the car the old fashioned way.
I agree, that is actually much better argument to make against this whole having to use app to do basic functions.

In my opinion, the trademark Tesla key shaped like the car is part of the whole experience. Sure, some/most people couldn't care less, but I'm sure there are plenty of others who want the car shaped key. I'm still skeptical of this keycard really being the key.

Current iphone widgets

Turn on/off air conditioning
Turn on/off alarm
Turn off/lights.

One flick to the right, click a widget.

No reason Tesla can't do this with anything already functional in the app.

I can also do most of these using force touch, also without ever going into the app.

image.jpeg
1 App
2. Bluetooth
3. NFC

Start the speculation!
Horrible idea for those of us not surgically attached to a phone. In our family we call those who stare forever into the little screen "Oods."
Robin

Reactions: pangolina
Hopefully? Who cares if 5 people, 5,000 or 500,000 get it? It's not going to change your life either way unless someone is a giant prick and wants to brag ad nauseam about how special they are.

And your loyalty comment is silly. Everyone else is disloyal, less loyal?
You must not be a line waiter. As a "certified line waiter"(TM), I definitely want something that you "day late dollar shortees" can't have. Also, I wish I had that giant phallus that you mentioned, as my wife would be even happier with me.

evolve or get left behind?
I'd say there may be some evolutionary advantage to paying attention to your actual surroundings (and not texting while driving or yakking about what you had for lunch last week while walking across a busy street). I live in a pretty scenic part of the world and it amazes me how many tourists stumble along enthralled by their phones rather than look up and appreciate what their vacation dollars have bought them.
Could have stayed home and saved a bundle.;)
Robin

Reactions: pangolina