Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"There will be something special", Who does this apply to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I get my Model 3, it's going to be special to me. It won't become any less special (to me) if there are 10 or 10 million others. Scarcity can come into play when assigning value, but it's certainly not the same thing.

spe·cial
ˈspeSHəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    better, greater, or otherwise different from what is usual.

If it becomes usual it is by definition no longer special, regardless of how great it is. The car itself will be special though!

Reactions: Model 3
Hopefully it's sight-unseen line waiters only, and it's legitimately special. Loyalty begets loyalty, right?

Hopefully? Who cares if 5 people, 5,000 or 500,000 get it? It's not going to change your life either way unless someone is a giant prick and wants to brag ad nauseam about how special they are.

And your loyalty comment is silly. Everyone else is disloyal, less loyal?

Reactions: Runt8
If that's the case then it would be little different than the drawings and thank you card that were already sent out and seem to have been received by just about everyone that had reserved in the first few weeks. I think there were several references that either directly stated, or strongly implied, that there would be an additional something for line waiters. As for what it might be who knows, I know a die cast model was mentioned/speculated, as were all sorts of other silliness like free SC, free dual motors, free EAP, and other nonsense.

As I said, no one knows exactly who is included.

I would think for day 1 reservations regardless of whether it was in store or not. (I reserved in-store)
The point has been raised that for some the closet store is hundreds of miles away so including them makes sense.
I pretty cool "something special" could be some amount of free supercharging.

I got in line (3rd in line) 3-1/2 hours before my local store opened.

I think that's worth a 75kw battery, or a metal roof and satellite radio, or a CCS charging port or adapter, or sub 5 second 0 to 60 performance. Or a free color change from the basic black paint. Or a HIGH capacity battery charger. Any of the things I've been ranting about for months.

My guess is that the larger the group of recipients, the less "special" this gift will be. Tesla still has to be mindful of the bottom line.

It could be a low-cost add-on (like X kWh at a Supercharger). It could be a discounted rate on the first annual service. It could be a discount on purchases of hats, T-shirts or accessories from the store. Not everyone will utilize a gift like these, so the true cost to Tesla would be less than something that they have to purchase.

It might be a trinket like a combination flashlight (torch if you are in the UK) and bottle opener with the Tesla logo.

Personally, I lean towards a trinket of sorts that probably will cost Tesla less than a buck per unit.

I personally would not want 'the more the merrier' for something like SigRed. I want something special, I want everyone to see my something special and to envy it because they don't have it and want it.

Not trying to be argumentative or direct this particularly at you but I don't understand the mentality like this around here. Is it not valuable if someone doesn't envy it? Why do you care so much what others think?

I think that's worth a 75kw battery, or a metal roof and satellite radio, or a CCS charging port or adapter, or sub 5 second 0 to 60 performance. Or a free color change from the basic black paint. Or a HIGH capacity battery charger. Any of the things I've been ranting about for months.
Entitled much? Why would you think that having waited in line makes anyone, in any way, deserving of something that would cost Tesla a substantial amount of money?

Reactions: alseTrick
Hopefully? Who cares if 5 people, 5,000 or 500,000 get it? It's not going to change your life either way unless someone is a giant prick and wants to brag ad nauseam about how special they are.

And your loyalty comment is silly. Everyone else is disloyal, less loyal?
Just quoting Elon on the loyalty front, though his quote was targeted toward Tesla's plane of maximizing the tax credit for the greatest number of people.

And no - the something special wouldn't necessarily be for bragging purposes as much as it would be to recognize those of us who lined up for hours - and in some cases overnight - outside of Tesla stores to place a deposit for a sight unseen vehicle that wasn't even to be unveiled until the later that evening. Maybe it won't happen, but something special for line waiters would be totally appropriate.

As an early morning 3-hour line waiter myself, I'd have to agree with this :D

Entitled much? Why would you think that having waited in line makes anyone, in any way, deserving of something that would cost Tesla a substantial amount of money?

Because.... BECAUSE, that's why! Because it gets things that I want on my 3, at minimal cost to me. Do I need any more reason than that?

I would also accept 10 Megawatts of free supercharging, or a Tesla Supercharger installed within 10 miles of where I live. Or both.

Last edited:
"something special" Just to be part of it. 100th, 1,000, 1,000,000 car who cares. When someone flips the apple cart in the world it can be fun to watch. Even more special to be part of.

For the humor department I would have them gift shirts with the following on front: I have and S and 3 and all I got was this T shirt.

• Funny
Reactions: ReddyLeaf and arjay
hat.JPG

Included supercharging would be nice - and hardly a stretch for Tesla since the new normal is that included supercharging follows the owner and not the car anymore. 115,000 Day One reservations * 60% US * 40% California is hardly a significant number in the grand scheme of things.

It would also be a compelling catalyst for those 7% of us who line-waited who are/were current owners. We more than anyone know what the driving experience is with a Model S. I don't know about other owners but I'm not jumping up and down for a Model 3 anytime soon despite having the reservation. However, included supercharging and a significantly lower price point for *most of* a Model S is a combination that would at least be seriously considered.

Presuming that does not happen, I'm still leaning toward trading in my AP2 car for a CPO AP1 car and riding out the next 2-3 years. At that point, the Model 3 should be stellar and the Model Y could end up being *even better*. I don't need a pickup truck, and I can't park a semi (at least without annoying the neighbors and probably violating some sort of neighborhood statute), so that Model Y could be perfect.

Reactions: israndy
I personally would not want 'the more the merrier' for something like SigRed. I want something special, I want everyone to see my something special and to envy it because they don't have it and want it.

Not trying to be argumentative or direct this particularly at you but I don't understand the mentality like this around here. Is it not valuable if someone doesn't envy it? Why do you care so much what others think?
I see Jason Bourne's logic now and kinda lean towards that hahaha
It's a similar scenario behind limited edition shoes, or exclusive collectibles. Sure, for the owner it holds a fixed amount of value, but when other people recognize them and say "wow you got those??? I'm so jealous I want them too!!", it adds that much more to the item.
Tesla cars kinda had this "exclusive-ness" to them in the beginning; I used to stop and admire every tesla I see (back when they were a rare sight), but now that I see at least 5 a day I don't think it's a big deal anymore.

I hope for something special just because it would be a nice show of appreciation for my having stood in line at a store pre-reveal. It seems like it would be easiest, logistically, to include all in-store reservations on March 31. Whether they physically stood in line would depend on the time of day they arrived, how many people were in line at a particular location, etc. But people who showed up and reserved that day, whether they stood in an actual line or not, had enough faith in Tesla to put down $1,000 for a car they had not yet seen. There is a fairly clear cutoff point there, as nearly all stores were closed for the day by the time of the reveal and online reservation opening.

Lifetime free supercharging like Model S and X get would be pretty great as a gift. I take a lot of road trips so it would probably save me some money. It's not a special color or anything else visible for someone else to envy, but I really have no interest in that. If sig red is offered I might take that; it'd be a hard choice because I have been intent on getting blue. But if I didn't get it I'd be missing out on my 'thank you' gift. Amusingly, it would be the second dark red car I'd own from this factory, the first being a 1980 Chevy Impala station wagon.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and DavidP