Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"There will be something special", Who does this apply to?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was just thinking about the car again, I know we'll learn more finally on the 28th but was curious if we'll know more about the something special Elon mentioned back in Nov:

Elon Musk

✔@elonmusk

there will be something special

1:11 AM - 5 Nov 2016

I'm wondering if employees count or if it's really just the public who reserved on the 31st. In that case we still won't know for a couple of months perhaps while they ramp up production to get through the employee reservation list first.

As I've thought about this, I haven't considered whether employees will be included in this group. It's an interesting question that I could see go either way.

But in terms of the public, my expectation is that anyone who went to a store to place their reservation before online reservations were open are in the group that gets something special.

Reactions: F_T_K
I'm hoping that at the very least, people who placed in person reservations or online reservations before the unveil are included. I live about 6 hours from the nearest US store, 2 or 3 from the nearest Canadian, and couldn't get an answer from Tesla if there would be a problem with a US resident making a reservation in a Canadian store. There's a lot of people for whom an in store reservation just wasn't an option, but still plopped down our $1,000 sight unseen.

I'm hoping that at the very least, people who placed in person reservations or online reservations before the unveil are included. I live about 6 hours from the nearest US store, 2 or 3 from the nearest Canadian, and couldn't get an answer from Tesla if there would be a problem with a US resident making a reservation in a Canadian store. There's a lot of people for whom an in store reservation just wasn't an option, but still plopped down our $1,000 sight unseen.
Your reservation order is probably based on your location, not the store you ordered (since in-store is basically online too).

Nobody knows exactly who this refers to. I'm also not sure it only refers to March 31st reservations. The renderings Tesla sent to reservation holders as a thank you were also presumed to be for the early folks too. But i got one and i didn't order day one. I saw comments from many others saying the same thing.

I think it's possible - though I'm making no prediction - that most of the 400,000 reservations get this "special" thing. Because in a decade, there should be millions of 3's on the road, but there will only ever be a few hundred thousand pre-production reservations.

Nobody knows exactly who this refers to. I'm also not sure it only refers to March 31st reservations. The renderings Tesla sent to reservation holders as a thank you were also presumed to be for the early folks too. But i got one and i didn't order day one. I saw comments from many others saying the same thing.

I think it's possible - though I'm making no prediction - that most of the 400,000 reservations get this "special" thing. Because in a decade, there should be millions of 3's on the road, but there will only ever be a few hundred thousand pre-production reservations.
Hopefully it's sight-unseen line waiters only, and it's legitimately special. Loyalty begets loyalty, right?

It probably depends on what the "special" thing is. He may reward all reservation holders with a trinket, or a paint color you have to pay for. I think that would be the logical thing to do; reward all people who put their faith in Tesla by letting them hold their money until the car is available.

If that's the case then it would be little different than the drawings and thank you card that were already sent out and seem to have been received by just about everyone that had reserved in the first few weeks. I think there were several references that either directly stated, or strongly implied, that there would be an additional something for line waiters. As for what it might be who knows, I know a die cast model was mentioned/speculated, as were all sorts of other silliness like free SC, free dual motors, free EAP, and other nonsense.

Does it become less special to you if more people have it?
Which brings up a good point: Should the gift have symbolic, intrinsic or exclusive value? When the drawing was sent out with a thank-you note, some people appreciated the gesture and thought that was the special gift. Some were upset they never got the drawing even though they reserved on the first day. Some thought the drawing was too chintzy a gift, so it either wasn't the real gift or that they had wasted their time waiting in line only to get a couple of pieces of card stock. And others got upset when they found out it wasn't just the line-standers or day-one reservers who got the drawing.

If there is an additional "something special" and whatever it may turn out to be and how it will be allocated, I think the same range of sentiments will exist.

Last edited:
great point, I guess it would depend. If it were a physical appearance thing like SigRed, then the more the merrier! if it's a functionality thing like (don't kill me) free supercharging, then I would like it to be more limited so it doesn't affect others as much.....
I personally would not want 'the more the merrier' for something like SigRed. I want something special, I want everyone to see my something special and to envy it because they don't have it and want it.