Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"There's going to be a dedicated robotaxi, it's going to look quite futuristic"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apparently Elon is still confident that they'll get robotaxi capable FSD soon. To me the idea of using a Model 3 as a robotaxi never made any sense.
My guess is it's going to have the angular style of the Cybertruck with sliding doors and two rows of seats facing each other.
Agreed.

If it is for public riders, by law, the design has to accommodate wheelchairs too.

Apparently Elon is still confident that they'll get robotaxi capable FSD soon. To me the idea of using a Model 3 as a robotaxi never made any sense.
My guess is it's going to have the angular style of the Cybertruck with sliding doors and two rows of seats facing each other.
Don’t recall him saying FSD robotaxi during the event. He said service and something about a little car.

Can you expound?

Last I checked, most Ubers/Lyfts/taxis cannot accommodate wheelchairs.
From the Lyft website:

"Drivers are required by law and Lyft’s policy to transport riders who use foldable mobility devices. Drivers are required to assist riders in the storage of their mobility devices, unless physically unable to do so.
Mobility devices include the following:
  • Foldable wheelchair
  • Foldable walker
  • Foldable scooter
  • Canes, crutches and other smaller assistive devices
Wheelchairs and scooters that can safely and securely fit in the vehicle’s trunk or backseat, without obstructing the driver’s view, must be accommodated by drivers on the Lyft platform.
Drivers may not deny service to or otherwise discriminate against individuals with disabilities. Drivers who are found to have refused service due to a mobility device are at risk for removal from the platform for violating Lyft’s Terms of Service."

From Uber's website:

1649397735036.png

From Los Angeles Taxi:

1649398037945.png

From the ADA website:

"Overview of Requirements
  • Both public and private organizations must meet ADA requirements: A public entity entering into a contract or agreement with a private entity to operate transportation services must ensure that the private entity meets all ADA requirements for the public entity. Specific requirements for private transportation providers like airport shuttles, hotel shuttles, private buses, and taxis are reviewed later in this document."

Just because you don't use wheelchairs with Uber/Lyft/Taxis that doesn't mean there's no law mandating the Americans Disabilities Act,

Agreed.

If it is for public riders, by law, the design has to accommodate wheelchairs too.
I work with ADA law, and that’s just not true... yellow cabs don’t. Uber doesn’t. They may have a part of their fleet accessible, but it’s not required for every vehicle.

Here’s a quick and easy blurb along with the person above.

Attachments

• 3D10A0B9-E7D9-474F-82B1-46C4D81E41FB.jpeg
    3D10A0B9-E7D9-474F-82B1-46C4D81E41FB.jpeg
    192.5 KB · Views: 35
I work with ADA law, and that’s just not true... yellow cabs don’t. Uber doesn’t. They may have a part of their fleet accessible, but it’s not required for every vehicle.

Here’s a quick and easy blurb along with the person above.
There doesn't seem to be any disagreement because Tam was referring to folding wheelchairs.

The kind that can be stored in the trunk or behind the seats.

The blurb you posted specifically mentions the fact that the driver must provide help stowing mobility devices.

...it’s not required for every vehicle...

There is no argument there and I know nothing about ADA. I only read lawsuits on the internet.

If there are 20 doors to get into a building, NOT all of them must accommodate wheelchairs.

If there are 20 parking spots, NOT all of them must accommodate wheelchairs.

But to insist that all doors and all parking spaces don't need to accommodate wheelchair, that is asking for a lawsuit.

Same with Tesla fleet. If it plans to pick up rides like Uber, Lyft, and yellow cab, it'd better show a web page that its fleet can accommodate wheelchairs as shown by other websites.

Last edited:
What happened to your car has all the hardware necessary for Level 5?

What happened to you can only use your car as ridehail in Tesla Network and we will announce details about Tesla Network next year (2017).

What happen to you will be a home and your car will make money for you and pay itself off in the first year?

What happened to we will keep the model 3 after lease because we will use it for robotaxi Network?

What happened to we will just delete the steering wheel?

Now it’s we will make a dedicated futuristic robotaxi?

Do Tesla fans love being bamboozled?
You think this “futuristic robotaxi” will just have 8 1.2mp in compromised angles with blind spots?

Come on.

You have been fooled time and time again. This is Elon telling you haha your car will never be a robot taxi. This is Elon telling you he deluded you by making u believe that geofence = amusement park train. Now he’s about to do the same thing.

He’s about to try to run his own geofence fleet. He will give all this excuse why it’s not really geofence although it’s only available in one city. Then he will say it’s the same code base as consumer car while it’s running exotic hardware, sensors and software (cough HD maps) with sensor cleaning and everything.

But remember Tesla fans all over considered a dedicated robotaxi in a city to be a complete joke. Remember how u only needed 8x 1.2 mp cameras with no surround sensor cleaning. In compromised angles, with limited compute and no HD map?

What happened to you can only use your car as ridehail in Tesla Network and we will announce details about Tesla Network next year (2017).

What happen to you will be a home and your car will make money for you and pay itself off in the first year?

What happened to we will keep the model 3 after lease because we will use it for robotaxi Network?

You think this “futuristic robotaxi” will just have 8 1.2mp in compromised angles with blind spots?

Come on.

You have been fooled time and time again. This is Elon telling you haha your car will never be a robot taxi. This is Elon telling you he deluded you by making u believe that geofence = amusement park train. Now he’s about to do the same thing.

He’s about to try to run his own geofence fleet. He will give all this excuse why it’s not really geofence although it’s only available in one city. Then he will say it’s the same code base as consumer car while it’s running exotic hardware, sensors and software (cough HD maps) with sensor cleaning and everything.

But remember Tesla fans all over considered a dedicated robotaxi in a city to be a complete joke. Remember how u only needed 8x 1.2 mp cameras with no surround sensor cleaning. In compromised angles, with limited compute and no HD map?

Remember when the cool kids do something and so you want to look cool and relevant too so you go "Me too! Look at me! I can do that too!" That is what Elon's announcement sounds like to me. Cruise and Zoox already have a dedicated roboshuttle in pre-production, Waymo is currently designing their Zeekr roboshuttle. And Cruise and Waymo have already deployed driverless rides to the public. Meanwhile, Tesla's FSD Beta testing has not really impressed. So Elon is like "Don't forget Tesla! We will do a dedicated robotaxi too!" It sounds like a desperate attempt to remain relevant in the AV space.

The other purpose of the announcement is to excite the Tesla twitter warriors and keep them believing and buying stonk. Elon is a master at dangling the Next Big Thing so that the Tesla superfans can retweet about how it is "game over" and "Tesla will be a 100T company" LOL. It is a great way to get free marketing. And it also gets the Tesla fans on Twitter to buy more TSLA stonk.

The fact is that developing and testing a safe and reliable robotaxi is a long process. You need to design and do rigorous testing of the vehicle itself. Then you need to make sure that your autonomous driving is safe and reliable in the ODD. Then you need figure out the commercial and logistics of running a public ride-hailing service. It is a lengthy process of designing, testing, getting permits, and validation, that takes years, as we've seen from the leaders like Cruise, Waymo, Baidu or Zoox.

I will be curious about the vehicle itself. I suspect it may get extra cameras, like it might have 12-15 cameras to try to solve blind spots. I don't think Elon will do lidar and radar because it would be seen as an admission of defeat in vision-only. Although, if he was smart that is what he should do. As we've seen from other companies like Mobileye and now Toyota that are doing vision-only for L2, they still add lidar and radar for the actual L4 robotaxi vehicles. Elon should take the same approach and keep vision-only for L2 but for extra redundancy, add radar and lidar for the driverless robotaxis. If Elon thinks the current 8 cameras are good enough for a driverless public roboshuttle, he is completely delusional.

This announcement is Elon vaporware. He says they will start production after the cybertruck and new roadster in 2023. We've seen the production delays in the new roadster and semi. it could easily be 2024 or 2025 before Tesla even starts production of its robotaxi if it even starts production at all. Elon could very well move the goal posts again because the FSD is not good enough. And like I said, designing, testing and deploying a dedicated robotaxi is a lengthy process. If anyone thinks that Tesla is just going to start producing a dedicated robotaxi in 2023 and start deploying it immediately to the public, they are very naive.

Lastly, it shows how far behind Tesla is. By the time Tesla just starts production of a robotaxi vehicle, Cruise, Zoox and Waymo will likely already have their dedicated roboshuttles deployed for public ride-hailing.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for my two Teslas as they now know they are just regular old depreciating cars
Dedicated doesn't mean exclusive, so existing vehicles could be both manually driven or robotaxis. The new dedicated vehicle would be limited to the latter but probably better optimized to reach massive scale to make a difference in sustainability.

Similar to how the 2 new factories are currently dedicated to building Model Y vehicles likely optimized from Fremont and Shanghai learnings, there is not an exclusive factory but 4 making that vehicle.

Reactions: JHCCAZ
Remember when the cool kids do something and so you want to look cool and relevant too so you go "Me too! Look at me! I can do that too!" That is what Elon's announcement sounds like to me. Cruise and Zoox already have a dedicated roboshuttle in pre-production, Waymo is currently designing their Zeekr roboshuttle. And Cruise and Waymo have already deployed driverless rides to the public. Meanwhile, Tesla's FSD Beta testing has not really impressed. So Elon is like "Don't forget Tesla! We will do a dedicated robotaxi too!" It sounds like a desperate attempt to remain relevant in the AV space.

The other purpose of the announcement is to excite the Tesla twitter warriors and keep them believing and buying stonk. Elon is a master at dangling the Next Big Thing so that the Tesla superfans can retweet about how it is "game over" and "Tesla will be a 100T company" LOL. It is a great way to get free marketing. And it also gets the Tesla fans on Twitter to buy more TSLA stonk.

The fact is that developing and testing a safe and reliable robotaxi is a long process. You need to design and do rigorous testing of the vehicle itself. Then you need to make sure that your autonomous driving is safe and reliable in the ODD. Then you need figure out the commercial and logistics of running a public ride-hailing service. It is a lengthy process of designing, testing, getting permits, and validation, that takes years, as we've seen from the leaders like Cruise, Waymo, Baidu or Zoox.

I will be curious about the vehicle itself. I suspect it may get extra cameras, like it might have 12-15 cameras to try to solve blind spots. I don't think Elon will do lidar and radar because it would be seen as an admission of defeat in vision-only. Although, if he was smart that is what he should do. As we've seen from other companies like Mobileye and now Toyota that are doing vision-only for L2, they still add lidar and radar for the actual L4 robotaxi vehicles. Elon should take the same approach and keep vision-only for L2 but for extra redundancy, add radar and lidar for the driverless robotaxis. If Elon thinks the current 8 cameras are good enough for a driverless public roboshuttle, he is completely delusional.

This announcement is Elon vaporware. He says they will start production after the cybertruck and new roadster in 2023. We've seen the production delays in the new roadster and semi. it could easily be 2024 or 2025 before Tesla even starts production of its robotaxi if it even starts production at all. Elon could very well move the goal posts again because the FSD is not good enough. And like I said, designing, testing and deploying a dedicated robotaxi is a lengthy process. If anyone thinks that Tesla is just going to start producing a dedicated robotaxi in 2023 and start deploying it immediately to the public, they are very naive.

Lastly, it shows how far behind Tesla is. By the time Tesla just starts production of a robotaxi vehicle, Cruise, Zoox and Waymo will likely already have their dedicated roboshuttles deployed for public ride-hailing.

If either of you could think objectively you would have recognized that this is about moving people in Boring's tunnels and doesn't affect their general FSD path. If Boring didn't exist they wouldn't even be moving on it.

If either of you could think objectively you would have recognized that this is about moving people in Boring's tunnels and doesn't affect their general FSD path. If Boring didn't exist they wouldn't even be moving on it.

So the Tesla dedicated "robotaxi" is just going to be a shuttle that moves people in the Boring tunnels? That's not a robotaxi. I thought Elon announced an actual dedicated robotaxi vehicle like the Cruise Origin. Also, if that is the case, then there is nothing to be excited about. Basically, in a couple years, Tesla will build a futuristic looking "train car" that will ride in some boring tunnels in LV. Yawn.

Reactions: Ramphex
Oh good. I just told my two sure thing moneymakers that you have assured me they will be making me rich some day or other. My retirement will be glorious after all. Now please put down your “thumbs down” before you hurt yourself with it.

He will definitely do surround (or complete 180 forward) imaging radars. He will say its to increase the safety to an imaginary "10x" or "100x" better than a human. You know how he throws out meanless numbers because he knows the gullible will lap it up. There were sightings of Teslas with surround radar recently. I don't think its just for training and data collection. Of-course the fanbase will say that Elon invented a new sensor that puts them 10 years ahead of everyone when others have already been using even higher resolution imaging radar for several years already.

Come on.

What are you doing here? Sounds like you’re not a fan and you’re just here to stir the pot.

• Disagree
Reactions: dbldwn02