Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"There's going to be a dedicated robotaxi, it's going to look quite futuristic"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No he’s not. Do you dispute anything he said? I’ve never believed the taxi thing would ever work but don’t care to try convince anyone their wrong. Everything he stated are true claims.
Man, I get tired of reading people's poor English. You'd think someone skipped out on English class. They're is a contraction of "They are". Their means it belongs to them.

Unfortunately, it seems that over half the population doesn't know how to write. I guess they stopped teaching English language several years ago, because poor spelling is rampant (Go look it up if you don't know the word). Almost every thread is infected, several times.

You have been fooled time and time again. This is Elon telling you haha your car will never be a robot taxi. This is Elon telling you he deluded you by making u believe that geofence = amusement park train. Now he’s about to do the same thing.
Fortunately, I believe the vast percentage of owners never had plans to use their cars for a robo taxi so the impact is far less than you might believe.

Man, I get tired of reading people's poor English. You'd think someone skipped out on English class. They're is a contraction of "They are". Their means it belongs to them.

Unfortunately, it seems that over half the population doesn't know how to write. I guess they stopped teaching English language several years ago, because poor spelling is rampant (Go look it up if you don't know the word). Almost every thread is infected, several times.
You are so right. I was a science major in college and never took writing as anything besides a necessary evil. Then I took a job a fortune 100 company and found myself having to send out e-mails to hundreds of folks. I was so afraid of looking like an idiot that I had the tech writers screen everything. No matter how simple. I've defeated all of the best word processors so review was absolutely necessary.

I'm on my own now and can only hope my pitiful attempts in these posts bring smiles of pity!

Man, Elon has been saying how FSD was going to increase the values of our cars and how we’d be making money through the robotaxi service. RIP to that🤣
I feel bad for anyone who believed that. I think Elon actually believed it himself initially but now that they have been at it for a long time he realizes the current camera suite will only go so far. There is still a great opportunity though for FSD to be tremendously valuable.

Reactions: dbldwn02
Man, Elon has been saying how FSD was going to increase the values of our cars and how we’d be making money through the robotaxi service. RIP to that🤣
Hopefully the price of FSD will start backsliding if the outlook for those thinking they could make money on the robotaxi service see their dreams evaporate!!

I have pre-paid for FSD 3 times but just a FSD renter for now.

Reactions: Ramphex
Fortunately, I believe the vast percentage of owners never had plans to use their cars for a robo taxi so the impact is far less than you might believe.

The problem is a lot of this stuff is marketing, but disguised as promises.

Tesla doesn't advertise in a traditional way, and instead uses Musk as a mouth piece.

Even for those of us like myself who don't believe in all the L5/Robotaxi claims we still get pulled in because of the belief that it will do more tomorrow than it does today. The "we'll just do it in SW" promise is really dangerous because it convinces owners that things are possible if we only wait. So we'll keep our cars, and wait despite new cars being released with features we don't have.

From 2018 till now it's been pretty easy to keep my Model 3 Performance with FSD, but its getting increasingly hard to do so because of the market price of it along with attractive competition.

I've brought this up before but nobody appears to have taken the suggestion as relevant. However after the announcement of the new robotaxi vehicle I wonder if more people will now want to know how can Tesla best maximize FSD so they can text and watch video while FSD does all the driving. The key will be FSD's capability to properly hand off edge cases to the driver within a reasonable amount of time. Say 60 seconds. I think Tesla could influence regulators for a hybrid version of SAE3 that meets this. FSD revenue would certainly increase and make it very worthwhile to Tesla. Just have to think out of the box which Tesla is very good at.

Last edited:
The key will be FSD's capability to properly hand off edge cases to the driver within a reasonable amount of time. Say 60 seconds. I think Tesla could influence regulators for a hybrid version of SAE3 that meets this. FSD revenue would certainly increase and make it very worthwhile to Tesla. Just have to think out of the box which Tesla is very good at.

I don't think there is any need for a hybrid version of SAE Level 3. What you describe would already be SAE Level 3. You are basically suggesting that Tesla should do L3 so that drivers would not need to pay attention all the time.

You are so right. I was a science major in college and never took writing as anything besides a necessary evil. Then I took a job a fortune 100 company and found myself having to send out e-mails to hundreds of folks. I was so afraid of looking like an idiot that I had the tech writers screen everything. No matter how simple. I've defeated all of the best word processors so review was absolutely necessary.

I'm on my own now and can only hope my pitiful attempts in these posts bring smiles of pity!
I tend to give people a free pass when it comes to writing on an internet forum.

For me I really only have time during lunch at work so any thing I post has to be fast, and not all of of us are gifted writers time wise.

Sometimes I'll cringe when seeing some old post of mine because of the poor writing. Where even I will have a hard time deciphering what I was trying to say.

I've only posted a handful of good post in my entire 7 year TMC history. So my batting average is really low.

Reactions: Ramphex
I believe for ANY L5 the most important things needed will be the HW4/FSD commuter 2 (lots more detected memory) and MORE cameras with higher resolution, dynamic range and color gamut. Maybe even inferred sensors or extended lower wave length cameras needed. Probably wouldn't hurt to add 5G in the "needed" mix since it will be the closest thing to a mesh network.

I don't think there is any need for a hybrid version of SAE Level 3. What you describe would already be SAE Level 3. You are basically suggesting that Tesla should do L3 so that drivers would not need to pay attention all the time.
Yup, it's just that nobody really talks about that option and it should be a priority since it's clear the current cars won't support the driverless option. Who wouldn't purchase/subscribe if this functionality existed? Plus it seems doable.

Yup, it's just that nobody really talks about that option and it should be a priority since it's clear the current cars won't support the driverless option. Who wouldn't purchase/subscribe if this functionality existed?

Oh people have talked about it, especially now that several automakers are planning to offer L3 soon. It's more that Elon has dismissed the idea because he believes the current FSD can do L4/L5.

Reactions: momo3605

How do you console an English teacher?

“Their, there, they’re.”

Tesla doesn't advertise in a traditional way, and instead uses Musk as a mouth piece.

I wonder if Elon will ever get in trouble for false advertising. There are a lot of apologists and moving of the goal posts because…”Elon saying what the product will feature is not a contract”. For a company that doesn’t advertise is the traditional way, how else do you know exactly what you’re promised. The order page has one definition of FSD, the autopilot page has another definition of FSD, and Elon gives another definition of FSD.

And everyone here arguing about the definition of the “FSD Capability” package is proof that it’s confusing and unclear, possibly on purpose 🤷‍♂️

I wonder if Elon will ever get in trouble for false advertising. There are a lot of apologists and moving of the goal posts because…”Elon saying what the product will feature is not a contract”. For a company that doesn’t advertise is the traditional way, how else do you know exactly what you’re promised. The order page has one definition of FSD, the autopilot page has another definition of FSD, and Elon gives another definition of FSD.

And everyone here arguing about the definition of the “FSD Capability” package is proof that it’s confusing and unclear, possibly on purpose 🤷‍♂️
I just enjoy the car I have. It’s a huge leap forward compared to any car I owned before, akin to getting an iPhone after having used its predecessors.

And I’d rather a CEO that dreams big and sometimes falls short or is delayed rather than the “realist” who never reaches for the stars.

Reactions: Cal1 and Yelobird

Inevitably some government watchdog like the FTC will need to crack down on the way FSD is being marketed. It was one thing when games, and other sorts of low cost SW promised features that never came true but its quite another with something $12K or more.

In 2019 Tesla did try to rein it in a bit, but it was more of sleazy move than any admittance that it just wasn't going to work for Robotaxis.

And I’d rather a CEO that dreams big and sometimes falls short or is delayed rather than the “realist” who never reaches for the stars.

The issue with Tesla is they pull off a lot of great accomplishes, but then they ruin it through such BS promises on things that don't really matter to most customers. Like yesterdays Cyber Rodeo should have been mostly about the Texas factory without any need to embellish on anything.

It's almost like Elon is still stuck in this mode where he's still in a field of dreams mode. The field of dreams mode was really what led to a lot of success. The idea that you just have to do something, and convince enough people that it's going to happen.

Like in 2015 he sold me on the SuperCharger rollout. Sure it didn't exist yet, but I saw the possibility of it.

As a company gets bigger they have to start being more realistic as the cost of screwing up is so high. The cost of lives, and livelihood. Toyota can't suddenly turn on a feature tomorrow that's been as untested as some of Tesla's stuff. All sorts of hell would rain down on them.

A Tesla is a very enjoyable car to drive manually (without all the Auto stuff), but so often you run into ridiculous limitations. Things like no downfacing 360 camera or rear cross traffic alert. They couldn't even be bothered to put the blind spot monitoring indicator in the right spot.

It was designed around autonomous or semi-autonomous driving, and we're still waiting for it to bring all the pieces together.

Luckily for myself I got a P3D so I just turn off the auto stuff, and drive it like its meant to be driven. :)

In a way its like being able to marry someone you can turn the off switch when they start nagging.