Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

There's no replacement for displacement...oh, really

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm quoting something I heard elsewhere, but it is somewhat relevant here. "The internal combustion engine vs electric drive is similar to the trebuchet when the cannon was invented. It was more capable than the first big guns were at first, but that didn't last long.

- - - Updated - - -

Not getting a speeding ticket is how people compare the performance of a Tesla vs the most powerful cars on the road?

guess we should all drive a Prius then right, less chance of a speeding ticket?

I have no idea what you're talking about. My wife does drive a Prius. Perhaps I need to ask her if she wants to race me.

Perfect_Flaw, you are missing one colossal point about the benefit of EV's. With an EV I can attain published 0-speed limit times at every stoplight if I wish and I CANNOT do that w/ an ICE without winning a crapload of tickets from the local constabulary. Why? Because all of those ICE require LAUNCH CONTROL. Otherwise know and holding the car's engine near redline and then dumping the clutch. Well guess what? It creates a lot of noise when doing this and aside from just being rude to everyone around you the cops will notice.

Further, 0-60 does not tell you how fast the car is in real-world use due to the aforementioned launch control, rev holding, etc. That's why I like 5-60 times as they tell the better story about how fast you can do things like merge onto a freeway. While we don't have the P85D's 5-60 times yet the GT-R is 3.9 from Car and Driver. The P85's 5-60 was .1 second faster than it's 0-60 so we could assume the P85D will also be slightly faster 5-60. So it will beat a GT-R in the way that matters for 99% of us and that is in "useable power". Further, the Tesla is always in the correct gear so it's much easier to drive quickly.

No to be too obvious here, but maybe it's not.. The statement "there's no replacement for displacement" is from the blanket generalization frequently made that there is no way to get the power gains offered by increased displacement in any other fashion. An electric motor breaks that rule. It's not saying "ICE CARS WERE ALWAYS THE BEST" or "TESLA IS 100% BETTER THAN EVERY OTHER CAR". It's just saying that there are other ways to achieve performance than increased displacement and here's a great example. Trying to make this fit into your personal ICE vs Electric debate is unnecessary.