Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thermal Alert reported by SC - what is it ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Model X is in service for Steering replacement since three weeks, schedule completion last Friday. However SC informed me to postpone my trip as they noted thermal alerts.
I called SC, noreply.
Does anyone know what it means?
Is it about battery pack getting heated?

It might be. Either the battery is too cold, too hot (overheating) or perhaps there was a one-time event. Usually any of these situations would result in a display warning, I believe.

You can try a full reset by pressing and holding the brake + two center scroll wheel buttons on either side of the steering wheel for 10 seconds, then after the screen fully restarts, do the same for the two top buttons. You can also do a same-day drop off (if you already got it back) and wait for a loaner, or schedule an appointment through the app.

Does anyone know what it means?
Is it about battery pack getting heated?

Thermal alerts sounds like something to do with the battery. The keyword there is "alert" which could be anything from a faulty sensor, computer needing rebooting, to a serious problem that could result in a fire.

They have your car and will be doing what ever is necessary. You just need to wait and then you can ask them and tell us when it is finished.

They are more responsive and communicative in-person than they are on the phone.

It might be. Either the battery is too cold, too hot (overheating) or perhaps there was a one-time event. Usually any of these situations would result in a display warning, I believe.

You can try a full reset by pressing and holding the brake + two center scroll wheel buttons on either side of the steering wheel for 10 seconds, then after the screen fully restarts, do the same for the two top buttons. You can also do a same-day drop off (if you already got it back) and wait for a loaner, or schedule an appointment through the app.
Thanks for your reply..vehicle still in SC Calgary , was informed by SC about it. have not heard anything since. Have put on 100,000 km, missing my X for the last three weeks. Hope it gets fixed.

Thermal alerts sounds like something to do with the battery. The keyword there is "alert" which could be anything from a faulty sensor, computer needing rebooting, to a serious problem that could result in a fire.

They have your car and will be doing what ever is necessary. You just need to wait and then you can ask them and tell us when it is finished.

They are more responsive and communicative in-person than they are on the phone.
Absolutely..this is my fifth service since 2016. My SC is 300 km away. Was not sure if it was about battery. Thanks for your reply.

Got my vehicle back today. I never had thermal alerts prior to broken steering. Luckily it all happened in SC center. Sharing repairs carried out per invoice.
20200312_231800.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: TLej