TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Thermal images of my Tesla Energy Solar Panels

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Az_Rael, Aug 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

Ordered a FLIR phone attachment mostly for fun (sure, sure I had some excuse about checking my insulation ;))

Anyway, took some photos of my panels in the height of the day. I was surprised to see them actually cooler than my roof surface. Figured they would be hotter.

Here is my East facing array. Dunno why I have that weird differential between the cells in the middle.

flir_20180805T103937.jpg

Here is my South array:
    flir_20180805T104743.jpg

And here are my inverters.

flir_20180805T112405.jpg

The Powerwalls weren't charging or discharging when I took the pics, so no interesting images of them.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  2. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

IR behaves a little differently than visible light. You might be seeing a reflection of the sky more than the temperature of the panels... kinda like you can easily see your own reflection in a window with IR and IR cannot see through a window.

My favorite science experiment with IR is it's ability to pass through plastic. Have someone hold up a black plastic trash bag. To IR it's almost completely transparent. Highlights how global warming works. CO2 is transparent to visible light but opaque to IR.

SCIENCE!

[​IMG]

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 2
  3. Az_Rael

True - so maybe they are hotter than my roof and I am just seeing the glass reflection? No clouds in the sky today (and luckily, no smoke either, ugh)

Apparently diagnosing solar panel problems using thermography is an actual thing, which is pretty cool actually. http://www.murcal.com/pdf%20folder/15.testo_thermography_guide.pdf . They even make drones for it. Makes me wonder about that sharp temperature differential between panels on the east roof.

(I have actually been arguing with Tesla that something is not right with my install on the east roof, so I am sending them the first image to see if they will at least send a tech out to inspect it, which they have so far refused to do.)

4. nwdiver

nwdiver Active Member

Do you have performance data for the East roof? Discovering issues with solar modules using thermography is a thing but only under fairly specific conditions. Ironically a clear day is unlikely to yield results since ~99% of the thermal energy is likely to be from the sun and not a fault. I was able to see a cell in a module that had become a load due to shading on a cold cloudy day. This effect is barely visible on a sunny day.

Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 2.59.21 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-05 at 2.59.11 PM.png

• Informative x 3
    • Like x 1
  5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Excellent, I’ve got one of these myself (birthday present for myself this year... :D ), will try it out on my panels if TE ever gets our utility approval done.

6. Az_Rael

Good info I may have to try it on a cloudy day (in a few months when we get one, LOL)

Not a ton of data, and I only get what I can see on the Solar City website. I have Delta string inverters so no panel data like SolarEdge. System has only been active for 2 full months. Here is what I am seeing so far monthly vs my PVWatts estimate runs. Notice the East array is underperforming the estimates and the South is over-performing. That is what makes me think I have a problem of some sort on the east array.

Screenshot 2018-08-05 16.17.37.png

7. wwhitney

wwhitney Member

Are you confident you have the correct azimuth and tilt angles in PVWatts?

Cheers, Wayne

8. Az_Rael

Hopefully. My roof was noted on the Tesla design as a 6/12 pitch both sides, which should be 26.6 according to PVWatts. I used 90 for the East facing roof and 180 for the South roof according to the info in the PVWatts help. I set the panels as fixed, roof mounted and left them as Standard, even though they could probably be classified as Premium (Panasonic 315W panels). I left the losses as the default.