Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thermometer slow to adjust?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having a problem with their termometer registering the change in temperature within a reasonable amount of time? Just yesterday after pulling out of my garage (low 60's) and driving for several minutes 10-15, before the thermometer showed the correct exterior temperature of 35 degrees. I'm used to my BMW's reflecting the difference in temperature within a minute or two of leaving the garage.

Reactions: ss71
Well, I wish I had some good news. I dropped my car off Friday morning 9:00 a.m. per my appointment. I had requested a car but they told me there were none there and offered me uber credits, fine for a day. I got a text late on Friday stating that the car needed "more diagnosis" and that it would not be ready until Saturday, not the end of the world but inconvenient. I need to go grocery shopping, go to the gym, go see my mom, etc not really the kind of thing you want to use Uber for. Late Saturday afternoon I get another text we are "still diagnosing the problem", although the app has not changed and I can still see my car sitting in the same spot in their parking lot. Now sunday, and at 3:00 pm this afternoon the app changes and it appears as though the car finally was taken in to be looked at. I told them on Saturday afternoon I was picking my car up today regardless of whether it was done. So there is no update nothing was done Devon Tesla completely failed and dealing with their service center via text is quite frustrating in this situation. Oh and the Uber credits they gave me expired in 2 days, so now I'm trying to get them to reissue but the link states these credits have already been claimed by another user?? Now I'm scrambling to get a ride to Devon from Doylestown about 45 minutes away.

Upvote 0
I now have precondition turned off in the app, I turned on the heated seats and steering wheel about 5 minutes before leaving this morning and the temperature again adjusted within a minute of leaving the garage. Not pre-conditioning is the "fix" though I would have liked to have had Tesla acknowledge where the disconnect is. My guess is something in their code needs to be tweaked? They rescheduled me already for March 1, not sure what I'll do as this experience was far from positive.

Upvote 0
UPDATE-

I just got my car back from the Devon Service Center and thankfully it went WAY better than the first appointment. I spoke with the technician over the phone and explained in detail what was happening and the various "fixes" that have been posted here. They pulled the bug reports and confirmed it is a software bug and we should expect a fix in an upcoming release. The tech told me he was experiencing the same issues we are with his car.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, our effort will payoff.

Upvote 1
So this morning it was "warm" at around 34 degrees and my temp adjusted immediately once I left my garage ( garage temp was 50ish) car is set for scheduled departure during the week.
Maybe the large delta on very cold mornings plays into this? We shall see

Upvote 0
I have the same problem. What is interesting is that the temperature reading seems to have no problem going up when the car is put back in the garage, but never wants to go fully down when outside. This weekend after 1.5 hours of driving it was still registering about 5 degrees above the local weather measurement. I have made a service request for next week.

Upvote 0
I contacted service. They wanted me to come in for a full diagnostic. Service is pretty far away for me though so I asked if they could just file a bug report for now. They told me to file a bug report I can just do it in the car with the voice command Bug Report and then a short description of what happened so I've done that. I will keep doing that if I keep having the issue. Having my windows fog up and freezing my butt off isn't super fun. Hopefully @Mark2020 can have service look at it as well.

Upvote 0
I’m on 2023.2.10 and the last several drives the outside temp updated very quickly. Anyone else? Hopefully this is a fix that sticks.
Also I’d a terrible incident of phantom braking tonight for the first time in months. Hope that doesn’t repeat.

Upvote 0
Mine takes about 15 mins to correct.
From 10c in the garage to -20c outside. HVAC performance is severely impacted by the incorrect temp readings.
I have noticed the problem is significantly worse when I precondition. I suspect that while preconditioning, the car is awake and reading the OAT the whole time. Assuming the OAT readout is based on some kind of moving average, it probably takes quite a while for it to settle out once you move outside. If not preconditioning, and the car is asleep, it doesn’t have its buffer “full” of historical data and starts its averaging only once you’ve gotten into the car.

Upvote 0
How is this still not fixed in 2024? Still happen on my 2023 Model 3 on the latest firmware. Doesn’t really affect me negatively apart from screwing up my statistics tracking, because my statistics will say a drive was 45 average when it was really 30 outside and 60 in my garage.

Reactions: psquare
Upvote 0
How is this still not fixed in 2024? Still happen on my 2023 Model 3 on the latest firmware. Doesn’t really affect me negatively apart from screwing up my statistics tracking, because my statistics will say a drive was 45 average when it was really 30 outside and 60 in my garage.

I still don’t understand why this hasn’t been fixed yet. It’s impacting me because when I exit the garage, it takes over 20 to 30 minutes to adjust. My car believes it’s 15 degrees Celsius at minus 20C, causing everything to fog up. Not cool.

Reactions: Mr. Nuke
Upvote 0