Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

These silly GM workers on strike...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I find amusement in these GM workers going on strike. How quaint.

These workers, for the most part, are just that. WORKERS. They are mostly a bunch of unskilled or semi-skilled nut-and-bolt turners who think their company owes them everything. A good wage, full healthcare, a generous retirement package, etc. For what?

Hey workers, no one owes you anything. You owe it to yourself to acquire good job skills or become an entrepreneur or find some other way of making money. Taking the first job that comes along and expecting the company to pay your way for every little thing you want doesn't work anymore. If you'd put in the time and effort to learn skills instead of going out partying and getting drunk every weekend since high school, maybe you'd be in a better position now.

What? You smoke two packs a day, have 5 kids who need health insurance, your spouse is on disability, and you never attended school a day beyond high school graduation? That's not my problem or GMs. If you aren't going to put out the effort, you aren't going to get much in return.

So instead of demanding that the company give you more, you should find a way to earn more.

GM has enough problems already without their whiny workers. Their products aren't very good, and they are way behind in EV development.

I find amusement in these GM workers going on strike. How quaint.

These workers, for the most part, are just that. WORKERS. They are mostly a bunch of unskilled or semi-skilled nut-and-bolt turners who think their company owes them everything. A good wage, full healthcare, a generous retirement package, etc. For what?

Hey workers, no one owes you anything. You owe it to yourself to acquire good job skills or become an entrepreneur or find some other way of making money. Taking the first job that comes along and expecting the company to pay your way for every little thing you want doesn't work anymore. If you'd put in the time and effort to learn skills instead of going out partying and getting drunk every weekend since high school, maybe you'd be in a better position now.

What? You smoke two packs a day, have 5 kids who need health insurance, your spouse is on disability, and you never attended school a day beyond high school graduation? That's not my problem or GMs. If you aren't going to put out the effort, you aren't going to get much in return.

So instead of demanding that the company give you more, you should find a way to earn more.

GM has enough problems already without their whiny workers. Their products aren't very good, and they are way behind in EV development.

WOW what a dick post and really wasn't needed. Way to start off your week positive

Working with one's hands does not equal unskilled.

Unskilled is the academic who doesn't know what end of a screwdriver does what and sets up the manufacturing labor for failure.

Yes, you're right, there are many good skilled trades. Plumbers, electricians, carpenters, etc. There are many nuances to this and it'd be tough to cover all the possibilities in a paragraph. What I am referring to are people who never sought any specific job training or made the effort to learn a skill. They just take the first job that comes along, learn just enough to do their specific part, and that's all they ever do.

My 23 year old nephew fits the description I'm giving. He's your typical dumbass who drinks, smokes, vapes, glugs Mountain Dew like crazy, and has only ever had light industrial jobs at local factories. I tried to get him to take a test for the electricians' union 2 years in a row, and he refused to even try it. He's going to amount to nothing in life, just like his Dad. I've talked to him about other job possibilities too, but he just wants to take the first thing that comes along and never try for more.

You do realize that those workers on strike also include tool & die makers, millwrights, electricians, machinists etc..., all skilled trade workers.

I know what you’re trying to get at; the lazy workers who won’t do outside of their job description, who would take a break in the middle of an important job simply because it’s break time, the ones who do the minimum and want the most. However, your post didn’t give specifics.

What an utterly ridiculous thing to say. You're really highlighting your ignorance here.

GM offered a 2% raise, but after healthcare increases they actually come out making LESS under the new contract. How would you like your next "raise" to actually be a negative number?

You do realize that those workers on strike also include tool & die makers, millwrights, electricians, machinists etc..., all skilled trade workers.

I know what you’re trying to get at; the lazy workers who won’t do outside of their job description, who would take a break in the middle of an important job simply because it’s break time, the ones who do the minimum and want the most. However, your post didn’t give specifics.

That's precisely why unions are pretty dumb in the 21st century.

If you are one of the most valuable workers in your field, you do NOT want to mix your bargaining power with low effort/lowest common denominator workers.

Watch 'American Factory' on Netflix.

While I felt bad about the anecdote of one worker going from $30 an hour (union) to $13 an hour (non-union) - I was already thinking in my head: "Your work does not justify $30 an hour. It justifies $13."

I would love for that worker to make $60 an hour. Problem is the employer needs $180 worth of contribution to the bottom line to support that wage.

There's a REASON that GM plant shut down to begin with.