Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TheStreet.com believes the Model X will not hit volume production until 9/2015

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wycolo
Based on feedback from the recent European trip it sounds like Tesla has accomplish a lot with their statements that even with the aerodynamic drag of the larger Model X they have mitigated much of that with improved AWD efficiencies.
To paraphrase JB Straubel "Typical experience of AWD is that the efficiency will be worse. We've worked really hard to not have that same effect. We found some clever ways with dual motor AWD... To make that an efficiency neutral option. Breakthrough. Flat efficiency tradeoff." Sounds like they are making real progress so why be so concerned over AWD?

My understanding was that although the X will obviously be less aerodynamic than the S, the AWD will not add to the inefficiency because they figured out a way to make it neutral. I don't think that he was saying that they were able to make the AWD actually more efficient than a RWD in order to mitigate the aerodynamic losses.

My understanding was that although the X will obviously be less aerodynamic than the S, the AWD will not add to the inefficiency because they figured out a way to make it neutral. I don't think that he was saying that they were able to make the AWD actually more efficient than a RWD in order to mitigate the aerodynamic losses.

You may well be right. There has been a lot on conjecture over AWD so we'll just have to wait and see.

AWD is new for Tesla, but Toyota has been selling what is essentially a FWD hybrid Highlander SUV for many years that does AWD "by wire" using a separate electric motor to directly drive the rear wheels.

Yes, my wife is currently driving one and will let it go when her X is ready. She likes it and I think the "AWD" works extremely well. She can go almost anywhere (and frequently does :eek:) except the very deepest snow.

Incidently, I flew quite a few hours in the Airbus that Wycolo is referring to. After they quit crashing it all the time it was a wonderful airplane that was WAY ahead of it's time. They had artificial control loading which felt artificial and I never got used to but other than that it was a great machine.

Yes, my wife is currently driving one and will let it go when her X is ready. She likes it and I think the "AWD" works extremely well. She can go almost anywhere (and frequently does :eek:) except the very deepest snow.

I agree, Al. We owned a Toyota Estima hybrid minivan in Japan from 2003-2010 that operated that way. Only really needed it once, climbing a mountain outside Tokyo in a freak late March snowstorm, but the electric-powered rear wheels (I think it had a motor in each wheel, IIRC) enabled us to get to our hotel at the top.

Toyota Previa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, the article author lost of lot of his credibility with me when in the second paragraph he refers to the Model X as a minivan rather than an SUV/CUV.

My Subaru Forester CUV initially applies 80% torque to front wheels. If more is needed toward the rear then it is, but 80% is the norm. I'm not sure how much torque needs to go to the rear under adverse conditions because this is handled so seamlessly. And I'm busy blasting thru snow drifts when this is going on. But I gather that this is typical of AWD SUV/CUVs. Thus a front-biased power approach would also be assumed for MX and AWD MS; a 180* reorientation of what has been seen on Tesla's design pages.

I'm just trying to anticipate what sort of AWD rabbit TM will actually pull out of the hat for the MX early adopters. And right now is the perfect time to be testing them up here in the Rockies, if they aren't already.
--

I now believe that the Model X will be released early and that Tesla on purpose delayed the Model X an extra few months in the initial delay so that they can positively surprise people by releasing early. Musk has said it, it is time to under promise and over deliver.

Moral of the story: anyone can make anything sound plausible with random circumstantial info.

I now believe that the Model X will be released early and that Tesla on purpose delayed the Model X an extra few months in the initial delay so that they can positively surprise people by releasing early.
You mean like the way airlines add 30 minutes to their flight times, so they appear early or on-time when they're really late? :smile:

You mean like the way airlines add 30 minutes to their flight times, so they appear early or on-time when they're really late? :smile:

Kinda. My favorite one is when the cashier at Kroger tells me how much I saved because I have their shoppers (re: spy) card. When in reality the number is how much I didn't overpay because I didn't have the card.

It'll be kind of hard for Tesla to over deliver on the X for me. I'm trying not to get attached to the outcome but I have VERY high hopes for the car in general. Particularly; I have it in my head that the AWD will be awesome and groundbreaking.

Agree completely...we had an RX400h for 3 years, and an RX450h for 3 years after that (put on darn near 250,000 kms total between the two of them)...the computer controlled AWD was flawless!...no "clunking" or "latency" like when the mechanical AWD on my old Chevy Trailblazer's computer would kick the AWD on...

Your comment on connection by wire being a problem. I have 185,000 miles on my 2006 Lexus 400h a hybrid that has only electric rear well diving as well as ICE and electric front drive. Worked great when new and works great now, a non problem.

> Sounds like they are making real progress so why be so concerned over AWD? [MikeC]

Don't see much about gritty AWD details on TMC but JB's comment is very encouraging. To me the X is ALL about the AWD implementation, and maybe the lack of ground clearance too.

> Lexus RX400h, RX450h [bikeandsail] & [Jaff]

Nice, someone has been there, done that already. And its Lexus! Thanks for your experience reports, much appreciated.
--