Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They actually did it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know there are a lot of threads, but this video that was just posted pretty much shows that the FSD rewrite is a true world self aware driver, and not a simple dumb "follow the lines" programing that went into the current version.

https://twitter.com/kimpaquette/status/1320756261076414466?s=20

This truly shows that the car understands the road and how driving works, without following in narrowly defined boundaries, its pretty damn amazing. Always wondered how current FSD could possibly ever drive in real city streets with double parked cars, barriers, construction etc etc, but this looks like the whole system understands where to bend the rules and drive over the yellow line if it needs too, which the current system could never do. The fact that is stopped and waited for the other car when it calculated that both cars could not pass each other is mind blowing, and border level "sentient."

Looks like they set that up intentionally or that ped has a death wish, lol. I love how the ped just kinda throws himself in to the street and then stands and looks at them afterward. Good job FSD!
Yea it was a "setup" but they planed it 100' away from the Tesla and keep their backs turned so the Model X couldn't read their lips (2001 Space Odyssey reference).:Do_O

It cut too close to the pickup for comfort, but very impressive. I’d prefer it to stop further back and leave more space for the maneuver around the pickup after the van had passed. But it’s clear that the car was seeing everything, which is, I would assume, the more difficult issue.

Reactions: Anna St
It cut too close to the pickup for comfort, but very impressive. I’d prefer it to stop further back and leave more space for the maneuver around the pickup after the van had passed. But it’s clear that the car was seeing everything, which is, I would assume, the more difficult issue.
I agree. However, I've learned over time that even though my Tesla doesn't necessarily drive as I would in all cases it still gets it done.

I think this is another example of that. What I'm not sure of yet is whether they plan to mimic true human behavior or whether they intend to "get the job done safely"

We may have to bend our minds to be more accepting of a different (slightly non-human) way of driving.

I know there are a lot of threads, but this video that was just posted pretty much shows that the FSD rewrite is a true world self aware driver, and not a simple dumb "follow the lines" programing that went into the current version.

https://twitter.com/kimpaquette/status/1320756261076414466?s=20

This truly shows that the car understands the road and how driving works, without following in narrowly defined boundaries, its pretty damn amazing. Always wondered how current FSD could possibly ever drive in real city streets with double parked cars, barriers, construction etc etc, but this looks like the whole system understands where to bend the rules and drive over the yellow line if it needs too, which the current system could never do. The fact that is stopped and waited for the other car when it calculated that both cars could not pass each other is mind blowing, and border level "sentient."
Thanks for sharing this. I hadn't seen this video until now. Does she have a YouTube channel or does she only post on Twitter?

This video shows amazing potential!

I agree. However, I've learned over time that even though my Tesla doesn't necessarily drive as I would in all cases it still gets it done.

I think this is another example of that. What I'm not sure of yet is whether they plan to mimic true human behavior or whether they intend to "get the job done safely"

We may have to bend our minds to be more accepting of a different (slightly non-human) way of driving.

This is exactly my thoughts. This is different way of thinking/driving. Hard to say better or worse, but no doubt it works.