Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They are NOT messing around when they say AutoPilot is Highway only. (Be CAREFUL!)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You equilibrated speeding with AP and endangerment. This is the actual fallacy. We can see that even the state governments see speeding as different than drunk driving and other forms of less-controlled driving. Driving AP in a way that is inconsistent with the rules specified by Tesla could actually fall into the reckless endangerment, criminal neglect place - much more easily than speeding. If you're doing 100mph in a school zone you're going to get get whacked the same way. But all you'd really need to do with AP is get a little more reckless on a curvy road and, potentially, you could hurt people much more spontaneously and unexpectedly. I am not saying that this is, in any way, an indictment of Tesla or a call for them to regulate. I agree that I prefer not to be nannied. But it does speak to the capability of an individual to create new and unexpected challenges on the road with AP that are much less understood or expected by other drivers.

You shouldn't be using AP on a curvy road. Did you read the instructions?

Yeah, AP will cause more potential for a person to get in trouble. So will cruise control, yet cars have had it for ages...

This is also a fallacy, because the actual statement is that the driver is SUPPOSED to be in control. AP allows for the possibility of stupid/careless people to be much more easily out of control because they are now enticed to take their hands off the wheel. and familiarity is the enemy of safety in this case. As boneheads become more comfortable they will become more daring and less cognizant, leading to the possibility of more spectacular incidents. Again, I'm talking about boneheads here, not people of brains.
A bonehead will figure out a way to make any driving situation dangerous.

Actually here I disagree with you completely. Developers often do not release capabilities because they are too far ahead of their time. Of COURSE this is is hard. Perhaps ridiculously hard. But, IMO, it is not only prudent, it is required that capabilities like this evolve somewhat slowly into the public sphere ... drivers get used to many of these ideas, the dynamics of them, the capabilities and limitations of them such that they become reasonably expected components of our driving experience, rather than a circus. You cannot release something as amazingly revolutionary as progressively automatic/approaching autonomous driving quickly or easily. It is the public that sucks, not Tesla. And I believe that although they probably could have released more capabilities, they would not until they know they will be safely used.

Heh. And based on many results and posts already, people are looking to push even the existing envelope to a scary point. Hopefully Tesla is collecting mountains of data and using it to prep the next bit leap.

I guess we have to agree to disagree.

I too have been experimenting with intersections and roads that change width and so forth. It seems to me that the car fairly consistently does the wrong thing. in most cases, the right thing would be not change direction when the lane markers disappear. By veering into the intersection as it does, or following an exiting vehicle, I think Tesla is trying to reinforce the message that AP is really not ready for driving on roads with inconsistent lanes and to get us to not try to use it inappropriately. I think this has to be a conscious decision on Tesla's part. They could do better, but they're afraid of lulling us into a false sense of security where they know they still have weaknesses.

this is a very hard problem. we need to be patient.

--Snortybartfast