Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They didn't use the jack point...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sigh. Even after showing them where the jack point is at the corner they needed to raise to fix a tire, the shop STILL managed to screw it up. I'm wondering how bad this is?

vZcK1Gf.jpg

Well, they damaged the bottom of the battery casing. Whether it turns into an actual issue with the battery later is another question.

However, to me, this is like damaging the paint or any other part of the body. They have to make it right which is likely to be very expensive. Put another way, when I look for used cars to buy, I always get them on a lift and inspect them underneath. In this particular case, if I saw the damage from it being incorrectly lifted, I'd have to take a pass on your car or you'd have to knock a ton of money off the price to make it worth my while.

I had wal mart mount and balance new tires for me a few months back. I of course brought the wheels and tires in. There was no way they were going touch my car. Even when I take my P85D to the service center, I take pictures of the rails on either side and make sure there's no damage when I get it back...same as the rest of the exterior.

Pretty sure it's just cosmetic. I had a Cayenne where the jack points had gotten damaged but when I took it to the Porsche service center they said it was just cosmetic and not to worry about it. I ended up selling the vehicle to a used car dealership and it wasn't brought up as an issue.

Reactions: Caligula
I would rip them a new one, and demand they fix the damage.

I would also take the car to a service center ASAP and ask them to look at the damage and give you an assessment. I would tend to agree with ToyotaJon that the damage appears superficial, but take no chance. Even a slight possibility of a runaway thermal event is nothing to sneeze at.

I just had my tires rotated at a Midas. A couple other places, including a car dealer, refused because of the potential liability, even though I gave them a printout of the page in the owner's manual about lifting the car. I appreciated their caution - if they were uncomfortable doing the job, I was uncomfortable having them try. Midas happened to have done another Tesla in the past, so they were experienced and happy to do it.

How can they be told and still not ... never mind. :mad:

Reeally going to watch out for things like this when I get my 3.

It wasn't just told... I literally got on the ground and put my finger on the jack point to show the manager where to lift it. To top it all off, they scratched the hell out of my rim.

Cliffs Notes: NEVER use American Tire Depot... even if you have a flat and it's the only store open on the 4th of July.

• Disagree
Reactions: JPUConn
It wasn't just told... I literally got on the ground and put my finger on the jack point to show the manager where to lift it. To top it all off, they scratched the hell out of my rim.

Cliffs Notes: NEVER use American Tire Depot... even if you have a flat and it's the only store open on the 4th of July.
I guess the message didn't make it down the food chain. He assumed his employees would take a moment to look for the obvious!

Got to carry a spare. :p

The jack points are recessed so a normal hoist with flat pads will touch the flexible plastic trim. I made blocks with a one inch dowel in the centre to fit the jack points. I used plastic wood for the rectangular blocks but any similar material should work.

I'll lift the car on my hoist for all minor servicing as I plan to keep the car for at least 30 years. For bigger jobs a Tesla Service Centre should have hoist pads to fit the car.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I have been told that Hockey Pucks work great as spacers to keep the jack from damaging the trim. I keep four in my car just in case.

The jack points are recessed so a normal hoist with flat pads will touch the flexible plastic trim. I made blocks with a one inch dowel in the centre to fit the jack points. I used plastic wood for the rectangular blocks but any similar material should work.

I'll lift the car on my hoist for all minor servicing as I plan to keep the car for at least 30 years. For bigger jobs a Tesla Service Centre should have hoist pads to fit the car.

Reactions: hiroshiy
In my minds this is a design flaw on the part of Tesla. The unique lift points and the fact that they are recessed make for a hard time jacking up the car. They could have easily enlarged the rubber lift points to fit a standard jack.

Based on your pictures it looks just cosmetic. Hopefully everything is fine.