Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They forgot to remove the autopilot I did not pay for!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those who do not believe that self driving is not a big deal, just imagine if Tesla made an announcement that it was going to be turned off for a while for all those used to using it. Riots in the streets.

That does raise a good point about why it's probably so easy for them to "add" it over the air, but may not be so easy (or wise) to remove it over the air. I can't think of the software even having the need for a "remove autopilot" use case... So it may not even have been built.

That does raise a good point about why it's probably so easy for them to "add" it over the air, but may not be so easy (or wise) to remove it over the air. I can't think of the software even having the need for a "remove autopilot" use case... So it may not even have been built.

Its a digital switch. Its trivial for them to turn it on or off. They "changed" my battery from a 60kwh to a 75kwh in 1 minute. They allowed Floridians to unlock capacity for a week or so to escape a hurricane last year and then they lost it (back to locked). It really is trivial to add or remove. All cars with the hardware have the software there, its just a matter of where the switch lies as to whether your car can access the features.

For those who do not believe that self driving is not a big deal, just imagine if Tesla made an announcement that it was going to be turned off for a while for all those used to using it. Riots in the streets.
They had done it before somewhere in Asia, no user consent required, just all cars in that country lost auto-pilot overnight (took 9 months before they turned it back on IIRC). No riots.

Just curious why someone WOULDNT opt for eap. IMO it’s the #1 selling point of the car. Only reason I could see not wanting it would be if you don’t really drive much I guess.
I did not get EAP because I don’t have a commute and I hardly ever get on the freeway. I have only put on 1500 miles in 4 months - 700 of those miles were from a short roadtrip which we enjoyed driving every second of it, so I really have no use/need for EAP.

EAP is great now on local roads. I use it there too. Nearly flawless in interstates though. Not there with locals and no red light stop sign reaction but that's rare for my commute back home to be the first at a red light.
That "nearly" and "rare" is what requires that you to constantly supervise it as if you were driving with a a student driver. Have to watch out for things you know, like the fact that it will run a red light when you get to the intersection first, and for things you don't expect, like if it decides (rarely, say once every year) so steer you into oncoming traffic, hit a parked vehicle or head-on into a concrete lane divider.

That "nearly" and "rare" is what requires that you to constantly supervise it as if you were driving with a a student driver. Have to watch out for things you know, like the fact that it will run a red light when you get to the intersection first, and for things you don't expect, like if it decides (rarely, say once every year) so steer you into oncoming traffic, hit a parked vehicle or head-on into a concrete lane divider.

Yes very true. Maybe I'm crazy but I find I can supervise this system and it's less stressful than doing it myself. Sometimes you can't get good help, but that was eap before 10.4.

• Informative
Reactions: henderrj and IdaX
You are like my wife. "What if it suddenly explodes and catches fire?" :eek:

Relax. You don't need all the extra attention like you make that tall claim. You just need to be watching the road. When the lanes are there and marked reasonably well, your attention level needed is very minimal. When the lane lines become faint, or there are merges and stuff like that, you pay more attention. Over a period of time you get a very good idea when it is actually better than a human and when it is not. No big deal like you make it out to be.

There are literally hundreds of posts in here where people have said one thing over and over again: They come out with much reduced stress, more relaxed even after a long commute or a long trip that they have never felt earlier. That is not possible with your false claims, that you need to pay extra attention like watching a teenager driving.

There are literally hundreds of posts in here where people have said one thing over and over again: They come out with much reduced stress, more relaxed even after a long commute or a long trip that they have never felt earlier.

And there's three people who are dead who might have been part of those people who said it reduced their stress.

That is not possible with your false claims, that you need to pay extra attention like watching a teenager driving.

Please don't call people's subjective experiences "false claims". They may be different from your experience but they are just as real.

You are like my wife. "What if it suddenly explodes and catches fire?" :eek:
Relax. You don't need all the extra attention like you make that tall claim.
You just need to be watching the road. When the lanes are there and marked reasonably well, your attention level needed is very minimal. When the lane lines become faint, or there are merges and stuff like that, you pay more attention. Over a period of time you get a very good idea when it is actually better than a human and when it is not. No big deal like you make it out to be.
I believe Walter Huang believed as you do.
There are literally hundreds of posts in here where people have said one thing over and over again: They come out with much reduced stress, more relaxed even after a long commute or a long trip that they have never felt earlier. That is not possible with your false claims, that you need to pay extra attention like watching a teenager driving.

Not at all impossible. I bet you could catch a 20 minutes while AP is on and an orange wedged in the steering wheel while AP drives you on a highway. 20 minute recharge nap has been shown to reduce stress and relax people. Is it safe, of course not. Is it possible absolutely. This of course is an extreme example of how unsafe you can get in order to relax. People you mentions simply do that to a lesser degree.

Oh, and for those who say "AP saves lives today", even NHTSA has issues a statement how their study concluded no such thing:

Sorry Elon Musk, There's No Clear Evidence Autopilot Saves Lives - Slashdot