Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They said "you can't stay on 7.0 forever. .."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, if it helps any, the collective improvements to TACC and Autosteer alone outweigh the minimal limitations ascribed thereto.

Which limitation is it that you find onerous? Or is it the lack of specificity as to what changed from update to update a concern?

While it would be far preferable to have an updated, granular change log (newest on top) with each release, that ain't happening. But just recently they've added a one-line "Minor fixes and improvements." From a process perspective, that's a great thing. So at least you know what not to expect, as it were. Between that and Ingineer's module change list, there's some info.

Separately, I thought the maps updates were separate. I've only gotten 1-2 of those in 19 months.

I was concerned at first when they announced 7.1.x, but after tens of thousands of miles through over 40 states this past year or so, my conclusion is that upgrading to current won't suck nearly as badly as you think.

If you're still concerned, perhaps arranging for a weekend loaner of an AP car from a nearby SvC or gallery might help? That way you could experience firsthand what you'd get...

Just my $0.02.
The software is actually a collection of software, each using a collection of libraries.
Each library is a collection of 'methods', basically functions.
The Tesla programmers (like all programmers) don't re-invent the wheel when writing code, they 'call' these pre-built methods again and again throughout their own code.
But it's important to make sure that the library you reference two years ago is still valid, still has the same method you used, and that that method does the same thing as it did when you wrote the code.
When something changes in the library you need to make sure you've checked your code to see if it still works.
The programmers only have enough resources to check a certain number of versions back from the current version, so eventually things stop working on older versions (as those old version start referencing methods that no longer exist, or do something unexpected).

Tesla certainly wouldn't have a team of people selectively irritating non-upgraders,

You either buy into the ship it before its done than finishing cooking the product in the field with upgrades or you do not. This reminds me of the lowered ride height update after the two fires. You either sign off for the whole ride or you get off. It is unreasonable to expect Tesla to accommodate your demands for all the reasons already stated. It really is as simple as that.

They pushed a software update and now I can't fly above my house because it is in a no-fly-zone. I have the inconvenience of needing to drive to a park to fly now, and they did this prior to specific legislation that would have required it. Sure it sucks because I am a responsible pilot outside of the landing path and never would have endangered anyone, but there are idiots out there that would ruin the hobby by trying to get a picture of an airliner landing, so I understand why DJI did it,

Are you aware of the laws regarding drones in the US? You know it's a no fly zone but you want to fly anyway? I'd suggest you are one of the idiots ruining the hobby. You have registered with the FAA? Right?

I'm still on 6.x (classic S) and both my voice recognition and Google map main display is still functioning. So your issues might be unrelated.

I know there was a point where voice recognition stopped working for about 2 weeks, but it was since fixed.
Finally a helpful reply.
This is VERY interesting as the Tesla ranger started that he spoke to an engineer who said that voice control would no longer work on any older vehicle and the only way to fix it would be to update to 7.1 i find this data point quite interesting and will follow up.

Reactions: davidc18
When you took possession of your car, weren't you running 6.x? In that case, you had no AutoPilot.
I did not purchase the vehicle until autopilot was redheaded. I have been burned too many times by the idea of buying something with the promise that the feature I want will be added later. I no longer ever buy any product until the feature I want has been delivered. You may be confused because my car is a 2014, but it was a Tesla inventory car until late 2015 when I purchased it.

Reactions: davidc18
Finally a helpful reply.
This is VERY interesting as the Tesla ranger started that he spoke to an engineer who said that voice control would no longer work on any older vehicle and the only way to fix it would be to update to 7.1 i find this data point quite interesting and will follow up.

My maps disappeared too and I am in the latest update. I didn't check the voice recognition. So yours & mine will be fixed as I think this is a bug.

Having said that, don't be surprised that if those and other features stop working for you (including AP) in the future if you continue to resist upgrades.

• Informative
Reactions: green1
Oh please. No one here actively discourages tinkering or getting the most out of your vehicle. When wk057 did that he had some of the longest and most viewed threads here. Plus, he took Tesla to task constantly here and he had a ton of supporters and more rep points than anyone except Bonnie. Remember his threads on HP misrep, AP delay, etc.?
and yet, unlike any other enthusiast site out there, not one of the replies has included information on how to fix this without tesla's help, even though people like wk have done exactly that themselves. And nobody is willing to share how to get control of the vehicle they own, even though several people have done so themselves. Interesting though that you bring up wk. He proudly drives around with the very same limits I'm talking about disabled, yet gets no criticism, while I'm told that if I want to do the same tesla should outright disable my whole car.

We are saying, don't complain and fault Tesla that some functions have stopped working or working in degraded mode, because of your resistance to upgrade.

If you yourself can find a way to overcome those restrictions - kudos. But don't blame Tesla for what I think they are rightfully doing.

yesterday they [Tesla] disabled google maps

I'm curious how you know / think that Tesla did this?

Google Maps has recently changed (Font / Colours / etc.), might well be that that is the problem (e.g. the change was made available to DEVs months ago, Tesla DEVs discovered some incompatibility at that time and fixed it in an Update that was rolled out some time ago).

All sorts of possible reasons in my experience why some 3rd party APP, Google Maps in this case, fails to remain compatible with other APPs; I wouldn't expect the software vendor to fix it, retrospectively, in anything other than a current patch-version.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
and yet, unlike any other enthusiast site out there, not one of the replies has included information on how to fix this without tesla's help, even though people like wk have done exactly that themselves. And nobody is willing to share how to get control of the vehicle they own, even though several people have done so themselves. Interesting though that you bring up wk. He proudly drives around with the very same limits I'm talking about disabled, yet gets no criticism, while I'm told that if I want to do the same tesla should outright disable my whole car.

Okay. So we've established that the smart thing to do would be to PM wk057 for his advice.

Reactions: Ciaopec
I really don't understand this forum at all. I've been involved in several auto enthusiast groups over the years. But I have NEVER even heard of one that actively discourages tinkering, or getting the most out of your vehicle. This club isn't enthusiasts, it's rabid fanbois.
It's because many of us aren't auto enthusiasts. I've never been on an auto forum. We're EV enthusiasts. There's a difference. Specifically we're Tesla enthusiasts and our priority is for Tesla to succeed even if it takes small sacrifices on our part for that to happen. The reason is if Tesla doesn't succeed against the legacy auto manufacturers and dealerships and oil companies and everyone else allied against it, then practical EVs are dead for at least a generation.

And in my opinion, the biggest thing tesla needs to succeed is the acceptance of the population. Driving up repair costs by banning third party shops, arbitrarily removing features from vehicles after they are sold, refusing to sell parts or information to the DIY crowd are all ways of guaranteeing failure.

I want tesla to succeed, and to do that they need to grow past their arrogant "my way or the highway" attitude.

Have you tried restoring the car to factory settings?

Factory Reset

You can now use the Factory Reset function to erase all personal data - e.g., saved addresses, music favorites, etc. - and reset all settings to their factory defaults. This is particularly useful when you are transferring ownership of the car - e.g. selling it or giving it to someone else. You will need to enter your My Tesla account information to complete the Factory Reset process. This feature is available via the FACTORY RESET setting in Controls > Settings > Service & Reset > CAR SOFTWARE.

Honestly I think your situation is a simple case of unsupported features due to older software version. Tesla is just not trying to keep some functions working on older versions and instead focusing on newer ones. Apple and every other tech company do that. Though I have to agree 7.0 is really not that old to be unsupported at this point...

Have you tried restoring the car to factory settings?.
I have not tried this as Tesla specifically told me the issue was due to old software. However in light of the other poster here who says his is still working properly on 6.0 I think I will likely try that as soon as I have the time to set it all up again.

It pains me to think Tesla would have outright lied to me about the cause of the issue, but it is possible.

I really don't understand this forum at all. I've been involved in several auto enthusiast groups over the years. But I have NEVER even heard of one that actively discourages tinkering, or getting the most out of your vehicle. This club isn't enthusiasts, it's rabid fanbois.
Tesla cars are fundamentally different than any other mass-produced automobile. They are constantly changing even after they are purchased. The changes are primarily driven through firmware updates delivered over the Internet, updates that owners do not pay a charge for every time they occur. The vast majority of owners agree that the changes are on balance positive ones.

The firmware changes deliver new features and improvements to existing features. WIth tens of thousands of owners, there will never be 100% agreement that each change is a positive one. But for very practical reasons, and for safety reasons, it is important that all owners accept the changes.

When you purchased your Model S in 2014, I am sure that you were aware that Tesla would be changing your cars' firmware after you took delivery, and in fact the purchase agreement states Tesla has the right to do that.

Now you are unhappy with some of the changes Tesla wants to deliver to your car, so you are refusing to accept any changes after a certain point. This is like buying a computer and then refusing to install any OS updates, updates that will on balance make the computer more secure and reliable.

It's the 21st century now. Your Tesla car is a computer with wheels. The idea that the average -- or even way above average -- owner can safely "tinker" with their car is an archaic concept from the last century. There is a tiny percentage of Tesla owners who can pull that off, but they are running the risk damaging their car or having Tesla refuse to service their vehicle, and with good reason.

I say this in all seriousness and with no intent to personally insult you: consider selling your Tesla and buying a 50's vintage automobile with no computer chips in it, where everything is direct mechanical linkages that you can just look at and understand how they work, and you can "tinker" as much as you want. I have owned cars like that, cars that were built in the 1950's. I don't own them anymore.