Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

They're here.....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So is it true that Tesla don't allow final payment by debit card, as that's how I have brought new cars in the past?
Doing it in £10000/day chunks will be a pain...

Correct as far as their FAQ is concerned.

As for 10k daily limit, check with your bank.

I’ve moved significant amounts of money around in 10k chunks to the same institution (different bank but still in my name - not that sending bank knew that) only seconds apart and it’s been received instantly - got txt feedback as confirmation and could login to double check. However, for a time critical transaction, there is always a level of uncertainty. Even so, I am tempted to do the transfer when on site after inspection - but I will double check with Tesla that this is OK prior to collection.

Last edited:
So I'm a 31/3/16 reservation holder but chopped and changed my design until early June so only myself to blame it would seem. My edir design has been locked down for about 2 weeks now and I'm at 'booking invoice' only. I did have a P/ex price but I cancelled that to cash which was also updated. For those that are further along the line - what happens next on the account page? I've heard about 'final invoice' etc. Do you then pay the remaining amount once that's uploaded or is it settled on pick up day? Thanks :)

I didn't hear anything until last Weds...then I got a call saying could I take delivery by month end? That was a bit awkward for personal reasons...but they went ahead and booked me in for tomorrow anyway. I queried the price a bit...trying to squeeze the post May 10th net price reduction a little in my favour. That meant my Final Invoice, which I'd had last week, needed to be amended. But afaik, it's all gone through OK. You need to allow (at least I did) 24-48hrs to pay them, before pick-up day. Didn't want to risk turning up all that way down to West Drayton, only to be told I couldn't take the car.
Fingers crossed it'll go smoothly though.

I am tempted to do the transfer when on site after inspection - but I will double check with Tesla that this is OK prior to collection.

Tesla haven't allowed that, in the past. Full amount paid, cleared funds, before collection - unless that has changed.

Do Banker's Drafts still exist? The £10K limit sounds like a PITA ... although I don't bank with the likes off Sharkleys "Head office computer says NO" ... so imagine it won't be a problem.

final payment by debit card

last time I did that for a car I moved the money to current account ... and forgot to increase the Debit Card limit ...

5:29 on a Friday ... Debit Card rejected ... <ScratchHead> ... phone bank, told "You haven't increased credit limit to cover it :) I'll do that for you now Sir and wait until you call me back to tell me its gone through OK"

Relay this to Car Salesperson ... who promptly faints in surprise!

Handlesbanken ... highly recommended, just like the old fashion banking I remember - branch manager has lending authority, and if you get to the front of the Supermarket checkout queue and your card bounces branch staff will sort it out immediately - no call centre shenanigans for that sort of problem.

Last edited:
A chaps payment to do it all in one should be about £15. Possibly worth it? Faster payment in £10k lumps should be fine - with my online banking you can prep them all in advance. Just a bit worried about having time from final invoice to the Scottish loan turning up and then 5 days worth of 10k lumps. Draws making the payment out a lot!

Order and Delivery - Model 3

Its not clear from the FAQ.
That’s not the bit I recall - the bit I read was about what payments were excepted that explicitly excluded final payment by card and had blurb about making sure that you allow time for electronic payments to be received.

I think it’s changed as the tow hitch info is new and other bits have been updated. But I may have read a different FAQ

Reactions: -DB-
I tried to transfer the final balance yesterday but my bank blocked it. They said I have to go into a branch with photo ID to complete the transfer. Then it got me thinking...I was about to pay a substantial amount of money for a product I haven’t even seen, to a bank account I have had communicated to me via email! What the hell am I doing? I paid for my last Car with a damn debit card. Upon collection of course(and a test drive but I’ll let that go)

My collection for tomorrow is at 2pm. I will check out the vehicle, double check bank details then go to the nearest bank to make the transfer. Simples! If it means returning to collect, so be it.

Reactions: -DB-
Always call to check bank details before a large transfer, that's my rule anyway. I have seen too many horror stories of emails being intercepted.

Good advice. I would call Tesla direct to confirm delivery before paying into some unknown account. Chances are it will be legit, but you can never tell these days and all it would take is for some dude to get your email and know you are expecting to take delivery of a Model 3!

Reactions: btetsola