Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thin/bare paint on door jambs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

R1Fast

P3D Blue/White
Sep 11, 2018
Seattle
Who else has the problem of the inner doors/jambs/pillars completely missing paint in some areas?

The first SC tech I talked to told me "they all come like that" but I quickly called his BS since my wrap guy pretty much does M3s exclusively now, and had 3 others in his shop. I showed the tech those pictures and he quickly ate his words.

Just curious how rare this is, or if it's old news. My biggest concern is if there are scratches in the bare spots or prolonged exposure to the elements (dirt, water) it could lead to rust and other problems.

Attachments

• 8.rear left trunk hinge.jpg
    8.rear left trunk hinge.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 718
  • 8.passenger rear bottom door.jpg
    8.passenger rear bottom door.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 651
  • 8.pass front door.jpg
    8.pass front door.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 616
  • 8.driver rear door hinge.jpg
    8.driver rear door hinge.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 610
  • 8.pass door pillar.jpg
    8.pass door pillar.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 616
  • 8.pass front pillar.jpg
    8.pass front pillar.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 633
That is 'Tesla normal'... Same if you remove the frunk liner or other plastic... Those guys don't waste a single drop of paint (other than on the occasional runs). Definitely comes across as cheap and although I am not an auto dealer or anything, I haven't come across that on other brands.

Are they planning to fix that for you? Also would you mind posting a few photos of what it is supposed to look like? Got a blue coming in soon, too, and I can show them what a real paint job is supposed to be :)

Oh yeah, they are fixing everything no questions asked. In fact, there isn't a single item I sent them that they pushed back on - they were 100% accommodating.

I disagree that this is 'Tesla' normal just because it happens with any frequency. It's probably more common for the first couple of years on a new body style (X has similar issues) but this hasn't been an issue for the S for quite some time.

There were 2 other Model 3s at my wrap guys shop on Thursday, neither of which exhibited this problem so it's definitely not normal. Example pics from those 2 cars and what it 'should' look like, which is fully painted with no bare spots. I've owned 16 vehicles new and old and this is the first one that had bare spots on any area of the door jambs.

20181016_173120.jpg 20181016_173146.jpg 20181016_173153.jpg 20181016_173200.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: xilex
So you picked up your car in October but took some time before bringing it back and asking them to fix the paint issues? I'm wondering because I would be sad to have to give up the car for them to fix it on day of delivery.

That's great to hear they are fixing it for you. My service center said that's how they all are and can't fix it.

Feel free to copy those pictures to suggest to them otherwise. The advisor I spoke to said they have seen them both ways, so they are honoring them under warranty when requested.

So you picked up your car in October but took some time before bringing it back and asking them to fix the paint issues? I'm wondering because I would be sad to have to give up the car for them to fix it on day of delivery.

Yes and no. We found a dozen or so issues at delivery including paint flaws but they had 2-3 week backlog before they could take it in. So I took delivery and found several more issues (damage, dust nibs, underspray) over the course of a few days and emailed them to my DA as I discovered them.

All but two items were reported within the 3 day period, but he said that isn't so much a rule as it is a guideline. Dust nubs, under/overspray, leaking seals due to alignment, etc. are all warranty items due to manufacturing flaws so they aren't bound to the 3 day "rule"... at least as far as they're concerned (which is great).

I also had these nice beauty marks which I didn't discover until about 5-6 days, but followed up with pictures in email anyway. He concluded were due to unloading the car incorrectly and thus are also being replaced free of charge.

20181013_001958.jpg 20181013_002026.jpg

Total downtime is 2-3 weeks to repair but they put me in an S for the duration and I'm glad everything is getting fixed. Tesla definitely did make things right despite starting off with pretty crappy delivery experience.

• Informative
Reactions: xilex
Feel free to copy those pictures to suggest to them otherwise. The advisor I spoke to said they have seen them both ways, so they are honoring them under warranty when requested.

I had fisheye and dust nibs 'fixed' already. They damaged the front bumper accidentally and scratched every single piece of glass on the car when they tried to remove over spray with a razor blade. Now I have dust nibs, rough tape marks on the edges of the painted panels, occasional runs, holograms, all new glass front to back, tool marks in the plastic pieces they removed to replace the glass, and yea, the thin coverage on the door/trunk jambs they said they couldn't address... Ugh. And that was after the car was sent to the body shop a 2nd time because the first time looked worse... Heh. I am unfortunately leaving well enough alone for now. I'll see what is left over after a good cut and polish and see if I feel like trying to fight it again, but after the past 5 weeks of getting bad calls while the car was in the shop, feel defeated and not comfortable with it going back there...

Good luck with your paint work. I also had damage under the side skirts as well presumably from transport. Sounds like a lot of common issues and variances in how the service centers handle them.

I had fisheye and dust nibs 'fixed' already. They damaged the front bumper accidentally and scratched every single piece of glass on the car when they tried to remove over spray with a razor blade. Now I have dust nibs, rough tape marks on the edges of the painted panels, occasional runs, holograms, all new glass front to back, tool marks in the plastic pieces they removed to replace the glass, and yea, the thin coverage on the door/trunk jambs they said they couldn't address... Ugh. And that was after the car was sent to the body shop a 2nd time because the first time looked worse... Heh. I am unfortunately leaving well enough alone for now. I'll see what is left over after a good cut and polish and see if I feel like trying to fight it again, but after the past 5 weeks of getting bad calls while the car was in the shop, feel defeated and not comfortable with it going back there...

Good luck with your paint work. I also had damage under the side skirts as well presumably from transport. Sounds like a lot of common issues and variances in how the service centers handle them.

Wow - sorry to hear about the problems you have had. Did an actual SC do the paint work or was it outsourced?

Wow - sorry to hear about the problems you have had. Did an actual SC do the paint work or was it outsourced?
Outsourced... The body shop was said to be excellent. They turned out to be less than excellent... Tesla Service did try to do what they could to salvage the situation, perhaps because they didn't want to buy back the car. Service did the glass swap rather than give the body shop another shot, but service did scratch both front door panels, the stereo rattles at certain frequencies now I guess from door glass replacement, the piano black was cleaned with something that scratched and noticeably dulled the finish, other interior plastic with tool marks, still unfinished initial repair order marked as 'repair attempted' so they could stop the clock before 30 days out of service (IMO) so I couldn't lemon law it without going another round or two with them.

Good thing is the car functions well so far... (Other than 42.4 installing sideways and taking out EAP/Cruise/Auto Lights/Auto Wipers/ etc. for a few days) Still a fun car. Mobile service will eventually remedy the damaged interior bits. Just a precaution that sometimes the sh!t can hit the fan with a repair/SC. YMMV.

I picked up my vehicle today :) I'm glad it's pretty good in terms of external paint quality, had a few small scratches buffed out, but otherwise nothing too crazy that I would really push to get fixed. Going to get a more thorough lookover tomorrow. I did have some missing paint near the trunk hinge and near the door hinge but not as bad as some of yours @R1Fast. Photos tomorrow. I think I'm going to let be as is, would be rather unhappy to have it painted to look good but then have more bad stuff happen during repairs. Some scuff marks where shoes can hit near the driver's side, but whatever can't be 100% pristine. :)

Outsourced... The body shop was said to be excellent. They turned out to be less than excellent... Tesla Service did try to do what they could to salvage the situation, perhaps because they didn't want to buy back the car. Service did the glass swap rather than give the body shop another shot, but service did scratch both front door panels, the stereo rattles at certain frequencies now I guess from door glass replacement, the piano black was cleaned with something that scratched and noticeably dulled the finish, other interior plastic with tool marks, still unfinished initial repair order marked as 'repair attempted' so they could stop the clock before 30 days out of service (IMO) so I couldn't lemon law it without going another round or two with them.

Good thing is the car functions well so far... (Other than 42.4 installing sideways and taking out EAP/Cruise/Auto Lights/Auto Wipers/ etc. for a few days) Still a fun car. Mobile service will eventually remedy the damaged interior bits. Just a precaution that sometimes the sh!t can hit the fan with a repair/SC. YMMV.
Sorry to hear this horrible experience. We just dropped our model 3 at the SC for fixing paint defects too. I’m so nervous about the outcome. I can’t believe we have to deal with this for a car cost $64K

Reactions: super20g
I am also having issues with Tesla Paint and been flighting them for over one month now.. I have all of the above but found out today that my Model 3 that I was paying for new had a repair and repainting to the trunk and rear bumper without telling me before I got the car.. How is Tesla getting after with all this!