Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thin paint normal on white bumpers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys.

I asked for the below thin paint areas on the front and rear bumpers where you can see through to the raw bumper material to be corrected by service but they told me this was a normal characteristic of model 3's and within spec.

I just wanted to check and see if this is how other white model 3's are?

Any idea how they define this as within spec? How is that measured?

While the areas are at least somewhat inconspicuous, they are areas that will see more wear than average given they are on the front bumper and around the tires, so it seems like those areas you would benefit from not having paint that thin?

I was lucky enough to take delivery a week before the pearl white was offered for free on top of it. :)

Hard to see in some of the old smartphone pics with poor lighting, but better than nothing to give you an idea.

19.png
20.png
2019-06-27 19.38.13.jpg
2019-07-20 14.09.33.jpg
2019-07-20 14.09.50.jpg

Reactions: DJVoorhees
I have the white pearl (Oct 18 build) and my bumper paint is virtually flawless. I would have them refinish my bumpers if they looked like those in the pictures. I really don’t understand why Tesla is so lax on quality control....unacceptable!
I would have them refinish them too other than they refuse. Looped in the service manager, the neighboring service center's service manager that part time covers this location too, and the regional service manager...

There are paint thickness gauges that are a accurate and non-destructive and industry standards for paint thickness. I'm not sure who would do this, but auto painters and used car auctioneers would be a place to start.

Everyone's got an opinion, but numbers are a lot more solid.

There are paint thickness gauges that are a accurate and non-destructive and industry standards for paint thickness. I'm not sure who would do this, but auto painters and used car auctioneers would be a place to start.

Everyone's got an opinion, but numbers are a lot more solid.

I have one, or my neighbor does, but his does not work on plastic bumpers.

Tesla also does not provide their spec. Or they don't to me.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnii__82
If I'm seeing your photos right, it's not just a question of thin, like how many angstroms of paint thickness, but actually sparse coverage with the underlying material showing. That seems obviously unacceptable, and I'm surprised they'd push back on that.

We have a Pearl White (July 2018 build) and it shows nothing like that.

If I'm seeing your photos right, it's not just a question of thin, like how many angstroms of paint thickness, but actually sparse coverage with the underlying material showing. That seems obviously unacceptable, and I'm surprised they'd push back on that.

We have a Pearl White (July 2018 build) and it shows nothing like that.
Ugh, that is what I had a feeling I would hear back...

Yea, the main problem I have is 1. You can see the damn raw bumper material though the paint. 2. If the paint is also thin, these are not the areas I would want them to be thin in where you are going to get more road debris thrown around.

I sent them the pictures... They have the car and see it. They said 'the thin paint on the bumpers is within spec'.

They got an extra 1500 out of me right before they offered the paint for free. You'd think they'd throw me a bone and fix paint you can see through considering I sent them pictures ahead of the visit, scheduled the visit, took a[nother] day off work to drive the car over 2 hrs up there to have the work done...

Reactions: Johnii__82
@super20g was there a resolution to this? I just picked up a 3LR and it has similar spots. Mine was manufactured 9/19
Not yet. I asked again and they told me it was not a valid warranty issue and if I was unhappy to file an arbitration case. I have a couple other issues more pressing to go through arbitration on unfortunately after hearing the same response but eventually I will file one on this issue...

Not a fan of paying extra on sparse paint where you can see through to the bumper material... I don't see why they just don't respray it because when an arbitrator sees the pictures one would think they will probably award a respray/replacement anyways... Guess they like paying arb fees because the fees are more than the fix even if it is decided in their favor.

Last edited:
So I pointed out a few spots and basically they said.. it is what it is. Without having a note from the sales department to fix it.. then it's not covered under any sort of warranty. At least I got my passenger window replaced and a few lite paint chip spots.

Hey guys.

I asked for the below thin paint areas on the front and rear bumpers where you can see through to the raw bumper material to be corrected by service but they told me this was a normal characteristic of model 3's and within spec.

I just wanted to check and see if this is how other white model 3's are?

Any idea how they define this as within spec? How is that measured?

While the areas are at least somewhat inconspicuous, they are areas that will see more wear than average given they are on the front bumper and around the tires, so it seems like those areas you would benefit from not having paint that thin?

I was lucky enough to take delivery a week before the pearl white was offered for free on top of it. :)

Hard to see in some of the old smartphone pics with poor lighting, but better than nothing to give you an idea.

View attachment 444081 View attachment 444082 View attachment 444084 View attachment 444085 View attachment 444086

Bad/Thin paint is common on all Model 3's unfortunately.