Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I dislike in the Model Y vs Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 model 3 and my gf just got a 2020 model y. I am not sure if the 2020 model 3 has some or all the let downs that I am about to mention. First is the model y does not come with auto dimming side mirrors, this is a huge let down because most modern cars run bright LED lights and being blinded sucks. Second is I find the glass roof in the model y lets in a lot more heat compared to the model 3. Then there is the cheap hard plastic used on the bottom of the doors where the side cup holders and pocket space is, in the model 3 they use a soft touch injection molded plastic. This may be a bad car issue but the doors and frunk on the model y are significantly harder to close, literally have to slam them shut. This may be another issue in the car but in the model 3 I can say "open glove box" and it will open, the model y does not recognize the command. This is overall a lot of small things in the grand scheme of things, because the model y is fantastic and it's a blast to drive, and I understand there might be some cost cutting to be had because of the targeted price point and the additional features and materials used to build the model y.

I have a 2018 Model 3 and my gf just got a 2020 Model Y.
Hi, congrat !!!

With such title, I was thinking you wanted to exchange your Model Y with a Model 3... lol
If your Model 3 is 'ante' July 2018, I think you had unlimited Premium Connectivity.
For the mirrors at night, I use another profile to put them in a different position, and move my head when I need them.
Well, the other way, you have an Heat Pump with the Model Y, a hot (no /s) topic right now.

How do you charge? Do you alternatively switch parking spot or do you have two separate chargers?
BTW, what body color, seats, wheels size, Model version, FSD... do you have for both?
(It would be interesting to know what make you choose or not some of the options, if they are not similar).

Last edited:
Model 3 lost the dimming mirrors as well this year (although I think it may have come back according to the forums). Our Model 3 from early 2020 has the hard plastics in the door as well. Our frunk and trunk were VERY hard to close for the first couple of months - they are fine now.

Hi, congrat !!!

With such title, I was thinking you wanted to exchange your Model Y with a Model 3... lol
If your Model 3 is 'ante' July 2018, I think you had unlimited Premium Connectivity.
For the mirrors at night, I use another profile to put them in a different position, and move my head when I need them.
Well, the other way, you have an Heat Pump with the Model Y, a hot (no /s) topic right now.

How do you charge? Do you alternatively switch parking spot or do you have two separate chargers?
BTW, what body color, seats, wheels size, Model version, FSD... do you have for both?
(It would be interesting to know what make you choose or not some of the options, if they are not similar).

Sadly I was 1 day short of having free premium connectivity in my model 3 and they wont give it to me, even though they made complications in the delivery due to me getting a loan outside of tesla. The model 3 has free super charging because it was a performance model purchase during the promotion and the model y charges free at a local hospital (walking distance from home) and mall.

• Love
Reactions: Watts_Up
I’ll add a few.
  • Seat belt cuts into my neck on the Y
  • Seats in Y much softer than my 2020 M3 and can’t seem to get comfortable - constantly adjusting
  • Much narrower front leg room in the Y
  • Getting out of the Y, my hip hits the hard plastic below the seat cushion like in my old Bolt
  • Have to admit, the Y is much less nimble... you can feel the heft
  • No ambient lighting in the doors
  • Side mirrors much smaller
  • Frunk is ridiculously difficult to latch... don’t use it for that reason alone
On the plus side
  • Seems like there’s less wind and tire noise
  • Kids love back seat room and full glass roof
  • Power lift gate
  • Rear window smaller but better view of cars behind you

The frunk is easy to latch when adjusted correctly. Either your bumpers are off (just screw them in a little), or the catch is off (requires removing the cover and 4 bolts on the well to adjust). I use my frunk all of the time, especially for carryout.