Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I Do Not Miss Thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really go not miss pulling into the gas station when it's 20 below and windy as heck. Put on a hat and gloves but wait, cannot use gloves because I need to enter the pin number and fumbling with a wallet and credit card is difficult if not impossible! Freezing hands on the cold nozzle and impatiently watching the counter turn as I slowly get colder. LOL.

Love the fact I simply plug in inside my warm garage when I arrive.

My mindset has changed in the last couple of months since owning my first EV. I never ask myself or think about if I need to gas up today since it is always full or very close when I leave home or work for that matter.

It was weird at first not having to stop at a gas station once a week. I forgot how much that sucked to gas up your car when it's very cold and windy out. It was nice taking a road trip and only stopping for 10 minutes to gas up and use the restroom. Supercharging takes longer to get back going. Sometimes a LOT longer.

Gas stops in the cold (60s) I don’t miss. Hehe.

But seriously while supercharging is longer than a gas stop I think in aggregate I’ve broken even. No more weekly stops for gas or rushed stop on my way to work.

I also don’t miss the tired feeling after a long drive. AP/FSD even while being aware the whole time is so much less stressful. First time in my life I truly enjoy long drives.

Or just going in for an oil change and the service advisor going through a list of "recommended services" at 30K miles or whatever. Change this, fill this, replace this. I went in for an oil change and they want $350.

Yeah, and the service salesmen are good to. You must change your brake fluid every two years or 20k miles (whichever is sooner) or you are literally going to kill your family!

Just use test strips please? Oh, we don't have those... *sigh*

• Funny
Reactions: beezy and mark95476
Yup. I had a turbo in my gasser. I got used to the lag so I could time things mostly right, but the instantaneous acceleration in the MY is a game changer. Going back to a gasser felt ridiculous.

Having autopilot there is good when I know I should hold back and not do something too risky.

Throttle lag.

I live on a road which is the lower part of a T-junction with a very busy main road. It used to be a nightmare in my diesel Mercedes getting out sometimes - see a gap, hit the throttle, shout a couple of times before the car finally wakes up and joins in, then finally decide we're not gonna make it and sit and wait again...

Gas stops in the cold (60s) I don’t miss. Hehe.

But seriously while supercharging is longer than a gas stop I think in aggregate I’ve broken even. No more weekly stops for gas or rushed stop on my way to work.

I also don’t miss the tired feeling after a long drive. AP/FSD even while being aware the whole time is so much less stressful. First time in my life I truly enjoy long drives.

I've definitely broken even and more. Now, admittedly I've only taken a few long-distance drives, but even in my 44 MPG Fit I had to fill up every 3-4 weeks for regular commuting. At 10 minutes per (maybe a bit more because I have to go the long way to work to go past the gas station), that's 2 hours over the course of the year. The 250-mile (one way) drive to my mother in law's place takes one stop at a Sheetz, and I'm done charging after hitting the bathroom and buying a chai, so no extra time there. My 1200 mile yearly round-trip I spent maybe 20 more minutes charging than I would have spent gassing up. Net win of over an hour per year, easy.

I really go not miss pulling into the gas station when it's 20 below and windy as heck. Put on a hat and gloves but wait, cannot use gloves because I need to enter the pin number and fumbling with a wallet and credit card is difficult if not impossible! Freezing hands on the cold nozzle and impatiently watching the counter turn as I slowly get colder. LOL.

Love the fact I simply plug in inside my warm garage when I arrive.

My mindset has changed in the last couple of months since owning my first EV. I never ask myself or think about if I need to gas up today since it is always full or very close when I leave home or work for that matter.

I would never enter my PIN number at a gas station. At ARCO, the pin pad is so high that there's no way to hide your numbers. Plus, I preferred Shell anyway. But yes, good points about being able to charge in a nice garage.

Plus, some gas stations have skimmers on their card readers, and there's a non-zero chance of criminal activity as well, or being harassed by people loitering in gas stations for any reason. Several times I've had people approach me for some reason or another. Homeless, pulling some 'stuck and need money for gas' scam, really needing money for gas, etc. There's a human connection which is sometimes welcome, but it's almost never my own choice to initiate that.

Either way, I won't miss gas stations and I can still stop for snacks if the mood strikes.

Reactions: aTri and comraddan
I do not miss the process to buy a non-tesla. direct sell is the best haggling is the worst

^ This is so true.

Is there literally another business (at least in the U.S.) where the actual price is completely opaque to the customer and the customer is considered a sucker if they pay the posted price? (There's actually a term for this in the industry- someone who pays the sticker price is known as a "laydown")