Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I learned about Slacker Streaming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla will send you the ID & password as mentioned above but it will only work on the web and phone versions of the Slacker app. The credentials will NOT log you in to your car Slacker app. I suspect you are currently logged in with that ID already by default. You aren't getting the high bitrate streaming and apparently can't unless you upgrade to Premium.
I recently had a loaner from Tesla while my car was being serviced. I successfully logged in with my car's Slacker account so I had access to my car's Slacker stations.

I recently had a loaner from Tesla while my car was being serviced. I successfully logged in with my car's Slacker account so I had access to my car's Slacker stations.
Did you select the "high bitrate" box when you logged in?

Edit: just tested with and without the box checked. It does not log in. It just spins.

Last edited:
Some time ago it was possible to make custom stations (on a PC) with your Tesla account on slacker and play them in the car. I still have several such custom stations in my favorites, so I can still play them but it seemed like it wasn't possible to make a new one anymore. You could make them, but you couldn't see them in the Tesla. I've since discovered a way to make new ones again!

First, a custom station with a Tesla account is based only on a collection of Artists. You cannot use songs or albums to customize your station, only artists. The slacker interface is a pain and makes the process quite tedious, but for me it's worth it because otherwise the stations tend to be very narrow or have a lot of stuff I don't like.

The reason that new stations stopped working is that there is no way to find them on the Tesla interface; I still have my old ones because they're in the favorites list. If I were to un-favorite one, it might still be retrievable through the "recents" list for a while, but who knows.

So the way to make a custom station is to create a new station in the Tesla by asking it to play a song or an artist - that creates a station that will play music that slacker thinks is similar to the "seed" that you asked it to play. Favorite this station while it is playing. Now turn off the car and open your Tesla slacker account on a PC. You can find the station you just made in the Tesla in the "recent" list and maybe in your custom stations list. There doesn't seem to be any way to change the name of the station so you're stuck with that. Use the search tool to search an artist and go to the artist page. There will be a "+" button near the bottom that will let you add that artist to one of your stations. Add it to the station you favorited in the Tesla. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I've got a couple of stations each with about 60 artists. The station will play music from other artists as well but I've found they're usually much more similar to the music that I like than other slacker stations. Back in the Tesla you can use the like/dislike buttons to further tailor songs within your custom station. Over time it can become pretty decent with a wide range of your favorites.

It used to be that you had to log out, and back in to you account on the Tesla before the station changes on the PC would take effect in the car, but that no longer seems to be true (with 8.0 anyway).

Has anyone found the "Favorites" station referred to in the release notes for firmware 8.1 for AP1 cars?
I got release 17.11.10 yesterday. The release notes describe a new feature that creates a Favorites station that includes all the songs you have tagged with the Thumbs Up, plus similar songs. I did not find the station on my screen, even after tagging more songs as favorites. The Owner's Manual says that the station will appear in your "personal" Slacker account, which I take to mean that one must have a subscription. Reading through this thread (which has been informative, thanks to all), I hope this means that the Favorites station will work if I log in with my credentials for the free Slacker Plus account provided by Tesla. So I emailed Tesla and requested my login credentials.
I hope it does not mean that I need a Premium account. I do not want to spend $10/month for the music.

So do you log in with your own credentials? And if so, what type of subscription do you have?
I think he means that they are still under the "Streaming" tab but are identified under the "Favorites" subtitle as things you have favorited previously or as radio stations that include songs you have given a thumbs up to. That's what it looks like to me. You don't need credentials to get this. It's not that big a deal IMHO.

I think he means that they are still under the "Streaming" tab but are identified under the "Favorites" subtitle as things you have favorited previously or as radio stations that include songs you have given a thumbs up to. That's what it looks like to me. You don't need credentials to get this. It's not that big a deal IMHO.

If I read the release notes correctly, there is supposed to be an entirely new station called "Favorites," consisting of all the songs you have tagged with the thumbs-up, across ALL your stations (plus some additions). There are plenty of stations with a Favorites symbol in the Favorites listing on the screen, but no station marked as "Favorites." That is what is supposedly new and is what I am trying to find.

I'd love to see a screen shot of such a station in someone's list of Favorites.

If I read the release notes correctly, there is supposed to be an entirely new station called "Favorites," consisting of all the songs you have tagged with the thumbs-up, across ALL your stations (plus some additions). There are plenty of stations with a Favorites symbol in the Favorites listing on the screen, but no station marked as "Favorites." That is what is supposedly new and is what I am trying to find.

I'd love to see a screen shot of such a station in someone's list of Favorites.
Here you go. Streaming/Top Stations/Favorites Radio (far left icon image with the thumbs up).

IMG_1987.JPG

Got it! Thank you! Not sure why I had so much trouble seeing it, but I was not looking there. I was looking further up the page where the "Favorites" bar is, rather than at the Station list.

And I did not need to log in with my credentials (have not heard back from Tesla).

Got it! Thank you! Not sure why I had so much trouble seeing it, but I was not looking there. I was looking further up the page where the "Favorites" bar is, rather than at the Station list.

And I did not need to log in with my credentials (have not heard back from Tesla).
Agree, not easy to find. I saw a post from @NikeWings that steered me to it. The Tesla credentials only help you for the mobile apps. They don't work on car maybe because they are the default anyway.

Has anyone found the "Favorites" station referred to in the release notes for firmware 8.1 for AP1 cars?
I got release 17.11.10 yesterday. The release notes describe a new feature that creates a Favorites station that includes all the songs you have tagged with the Thumbs Up, plus similar songs. I did not find the station on my screen, even after tagging more songs as favorites. The Owner's Manual says that the station will appear in your "personal" Slacker account, which I take to mean that one must have a subscription. Reading through this thread (which has been informative, thanks to all), I hope this means that the Favorites station will work if I log in with my credentials for the free Slacker Plus account provided by Tesla. So I emailed Tesla and requested my login credentials.
I hope it does not mean that I need a Premium account. I do not want to spend $10/month for the music.
I found it and used it once. It was playing both songs I never thumbed up and ones I had thumbed up. Go figure.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
been waiting forever for Spotify integration (well 6months as a TEsla owner and I had read the Electek blog that it was coming soon, back in Sep '16). I bought slacker premium because kids wanted instant gratification - the song they want to play needs to play, simple. So this weekend, I told my son (11yrs) to move all playlists from spotify to Slacker so I don't need to pay spotify monthly - and he can get 2-months of spotify subscription as reward. He started on it for an hour, with multiple windows, faster search, drag and drop etc. He then gave up. did google search and said, Tesla will support spotify soon - and stopped the migration. I didn't tell him - Tesla's "soon" has time-bending logic that may keep stretching.
He might get back to the migration next weekend...we will see. Hate it that Slacker (or any other competitive streamer) doesn't have a "transfer your playlists" tool to make it easier to woo subscribers.

I emailed tesla and received the login credentials for my car but when I press "sign in" and entire my credentials the circle just keeps spinning and never logs in. Why can't spotify just work already? Or maybe even android auto/car play
It doesn't work because the Tesla account is already logged in by default. The 'sign-in' option is for personal/non-Tesla accounts only.