Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I learned about Slacker Streaming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I have been using premium....here's what I figured out as an extension to my post above:

- the slacker APP experience is completely diff than the desktop site. You can basically access the same depth/breadth as Spotify
- you have to log in to the desktop, create playlists, and they will automatically show up on your tesla. Again, terrible user experience, as you have to log out and log in every time you create a new playlist if you want that playlist to show up
- creating a playlist is the ONLY way to ensure you can play a song on demand, every single time. Example - one day you could say "play met gala by Gucci mane", and it played. Next day, it would play 'met gala radio' and No matter how many times you skipped, it never ever plays. When it's on the playlist, plays every time.
- you can't add songs from your playlist to your favorites radio...meaning as its playing from the playlist, there's no favorite icon
- the high bit rate is BY FAR the best aspect of this. It's transformed the quality of the sound system in the car. I can't listen to Bluetooth audio at all anymore, zero.

Some may be repeated from earlier posts but oh well. All in all, when I figured out the desktop vs mobile issue, i signed back up. It sucks to pay 10 a month when I already have Spotify, but hey it's worth it for the sound quality upgrade for me. Terrible user experience and awful support (they just say ' Tesla doesn't support slacker premium'). will choke on the 10 a month until a real service is provided and supported by tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: Lu Ann
Did they remove the "high bit rate" check box in one of the latest firmware releases? I used to see it at the bottom of the streaming page where you can log into you own slacker account but I no longer see this option. I'm on 17.24.28 on an AP2 car.

I have learned that Slacker has the ability to select favorites on your behalf. My car seems to have an affinity for Meghan Trainor, Shawn Mendes and Selena Gomez, to name a few.

It doesn't happen often, but I notice when playing the Favorites Station that a Thumbs-up (like) will be selected for songs that my wife and I would have never chosen. This is unusual and a bit annoying.

And despite Slacker's apparent deep catalog, I find that it does repeat songs all too frequently.

Last edited:
I also can't find the hight bit rate option. Is that gone?

It is. After test driving one with the old firmware on it, and the option not being selected, and then purchasing mine with the new firmware and the option NOT being on there, I am convinced that Tesla baked the high bit rate streaming directly into the UHFS and took away the option. The sound quality is MUCH better than the test drive I had...

It is. After test driving one with the old firmware on it, and the option not being selected, and then purchasing mine with the new firmware and the option NOT being on there, I am convinced that Tesla baked the high bit rate streaming directly into the UHFS and took away the option. The sound quality is MUCH better than the test drive I had...
It may sound good but it's not high bit rate.

I found an interesting problem when I upgraded my P85 to a P100D that I get a female announcer when listening to popular songs. I never had that with my older car and I have called Testa twice and they have asked me to reset the center screen but it doesn't change a thing. Is there any way I can get rid of the DJ without skipping her every time she comes on?
Dunno if somebody answered this yet, but you've found a station with "host" set on. Unknown if way to toggle that in the Tesla UI, I use a Premium account and control that stuff via phone or web interface. Sometimes host is fun, most of the time it is toggled off for me.

I have learned that Slacker has the ability to select favorites on your behalf. My car seems to have an affinity for Meghan Trainor, Shawn Mendes and Selena Gomez, to name a few.

It doesn't happen often, but I notice when playing the Favorites Station that a Thumbs-up (like) will be selected for songs that my wife and I would have never chosen. This is unusual and a bit annoying.

And despite Slacker's apparent deep catalog, I find that it does repeat songs all too frequently.
Your sig line indicates a 2017 S 60. I think that means a pre-owned car and you are probably getting the previous owner's preferences. You'll just need to toggle off the songs you don't want to hear?

Your sig line indicates a 2017 S 60. I think that means a pre-owned car and you are probably getting the previous owner's preferences. You'll just need to toggle off the songs you don't want to hear?

Thank you for your insight, however my car had about 5 miles on it at delivery, so no one else other than the test driver would had use of my car - that person and the Tesla SC folks where it was for a good part or two weeks shortly after delivery.

The frequency of songs that are being auto-selected for a thumbs-up seems to be increasing on the Favorites Radio station. There was one at least every half hour or so over the weekend. Seriously, Justin Bieber? I am contacting Tesla and/or Slacker today in an attempt to resolve this. Hopefully they don't wipe everything out that's already been saved.

One interesting feature that I discovered (apologies if this has already been mentioned before) with Slacker is the ability to tune your stations, though only from desktop/mobile. Log-in with the credentials that Tesla provides you, and create a station to play. Click on the Settings button (three dots) and then on the "Fine Tune" tab. (Image below).
Slacker1.jpg

In the subsequent page, you can set your preferences to play popular songs/discover new songs/play your favorites.

Slacker2.jpg

I listen and tune the stations when I am at work/home and get to benefit when driving. I find this very useful as I am primarily interested in discovering new music thorough internet radio and I do not particularly like creating playlists.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888