Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I learned from Tesla Service

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Things I learned from Tesla service:

-The passenger window sticking out past the B pillar trim is for "aerodynamics" even though none of the other windows look like this.
-The loose plastic interior trim by the door jamb just "kind of sits there, it doesn't really clip in" when I pointed out that just the driver's side one is loose
-No other car companies have completely painted hinges or door jambs
-The missing wheel well clips are normal, even though I had one installed, some cars had them all installed, but most had none installed
-The paint drip on the end of my fender is normal because all the other model 3s have it.
-the misalignment resulting from the paint drip on the fender is also normal
-the gap between the rear bumper cover and trunk weatherseal is normal
-headlights protruding from the bodywork are normal
-there is no way to fix a misaligned taillight
-you can adjust the strikeplate to fix the door that looks like it's not closed, but, I mean, it's not even an issue
-the half-painted door jamb is normal because the other side had a different half-painted area
-no other car company releases their tolerance specs
-door handles don't have to be consistently flush/inset with door panel
-other car companies have different issues
-I won't be satisfied with another car so I might as well take the car to the body shop to have it resprayed to fix the paint issues
-I'm a picky person

Things I didn't learn from Tesla service:

-When the replacement trunk liner due to standing water in my trunk at delivery is due in
-What suspension part numbers are specific to my car

I now know the strategy is a war of attrition, and it's working. I left feeling like I was a bad person for bringing up my issues. In the future whatever I can fix myself I will. They would help themselves by making parts available through retail like every other car company. Luckily the V9 download lifted my spirits after a depressing encounter.

There are some great people who work there, but I also think there are some "car dealership" people and there is no way around that. That would be fine with me if I could pick a car from inventory and test drive it, but I can't. So I will accept my fate and enjoy the first new car I've ever bought for better or worse. And I will try not to get angry when I see cars that weren't offloaded for the Q3 push that have great fit and finish.

Minus all the issues the car is a technological achievement. It's like nothing out there, a true disruptor, and it's amazing. They had the gonads to take a concept car and put it right into production, and the entire industry is scared. But these quality issues and customer service interactions are a huge hurdle and will eventually hurt them if they're left unchecked.

-The passenger window sticking out past the B pillar trim is for "aerodynamics" even though none of the other windows look like this.
-The paint drip on the end of my fender is normal because all the other model 3s have it.
-the misalignment resulting from the paint drip on the fender is also normal
-the gap between the rear bumper cover and trunk weatherseal is normal
-headlights protruding from the bodywork are normal

Can you show photos of this so we look out for them?

• Love
Reactions: Brando and cwerdna
the lack of competition is resulting in all this. I really hope there is some competition real soon.

No one else willing to lose money on every car they sell in big volume.

Audi blowing out Etrons would be bleeding them cash while killing their profitable vehicles.

Tesla doesn’t have a profit center to protect. Their all in, get EV profitable approach wins them the war in the end.

I'm like, "Gee, 2 days left to get the 7500 rebate. Should I get a Tesla?" Then I read this post.

Let's be real. It appears you have no intention of getting one! Your posting here are flavored anti-Tesla and seem to gravitate toward embracing any negative even when that negative is refuted or remedied IMO. For you to have any (real) personal experience of your own it takes time with hands on experience over time. Nothing is perfect and notably Tesla is not either, but the majority of Tesla owners are happy to drive a Tesla. This by no means insinuates that I do not agree with the OP and that his problems aren't real for his car and need to be remedied. However, JS, I think it's time for you to step up and get one... don't let that tax credit get away!

Last edited:
Don't let someone at service make you feel bad enough not to get your concerns addressed.

If you see actual issues, document them including pictures, log into the Tesla portal and escalate to executive review.

Go to a different service center next time if you have the option.
And get this boilerplate reply?
"
Thank you for reaching out to us here at the Executive Care Team. I can assure you
we take our customers feedback into account while challenging ourselves in continuation of refining these features and improving our customers driving experience and convenience. I would like to thank you for providing us with your valued input and honest comments.

For future customer support needs, please feel free to reach out directly to our dedicated customer support teams via [email protected].

With kind regards
Bettina Haerten | Global Executive Care
Burgemeester Stramanweg 122 | 1101EN Amsterdam
"

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: neroden and P85_DA
I was told my brand new car needed to go to the body shop to have the rear bumper clip properly secured. I said no, please bring a tech out to look - fixed in < 5 mins (this was at the service center when I asked to have a couple things checked). 2nd issue was misaligned chrome, exact same story as above...

Also a tech came to the house to replace missing rear fender clips and 2 up front he found himself.

Friction seems to depend on who you are talking to and when...

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: neroden and Brando
I now know the strategy is a war of attrition, and it's working. I left feeling like I was a bad person for bringing up my issues.

I know how you feel. I ended up getting “punished” for complaining about my charge port door too much. It was perfectly flush when I got the car, but ended up failing a few months in. Replacement was not flush. I complained and they eventually agreed to try to adjust it. They got it better, but now it hesitates for quite a while before opening, so I am sure it will be failing soon. Ah well. Will just take the next one they give me and not complain I guess.

I also just try to fix things myself if I can now, rather than arguing with service that something is not right. I am currently chasing down a rattle in my trunk from the speaker grill. Will probably just hack something to make it fit more secure rather than hassling with service.

And get this boilerplate reply?
"
Thank you for reaching out to us here at the Executive Care Team. I can assure you
we take our customers feedback into account while challenging ourselves in continuation of refining these features and improving our customers driving experience and convenience. I would like to thank you for providing us with your valued input and honest comments.

For future customer support needs, please feel free to reach out directly to our dedicated customer support teams via [email protected].
"

Fugg... And I was holding off on submitting a case for executive review until this week in case what I hear back from the service center isn't satisfactory... This lets the wind out of my sail.

Let's be real. It appears you have no intention of getting one! Your posting here are flavored anti-Tesla and seem to gravitate toward embracing any negative even when that negative is refuted or remedied IMO. For you to have any (real) personal experience of your own it takes time with hands on experience over time. Nothing is perfect and notably Tesla is not either, but the majority of Tesla owners are happy to drive a Tesla. This by no means insinuates that I do not agree with the OP and that his problems aren't real for his car and need to be remedied. However, JS, I think it's time for you to step up and get one... don't let that tax credit get away!

I own four Teslas... all Powerwalls. I'm neither fanboy nor hater. Combining the ergonomic issues with the reliability issues has kept me from buying a Tesla car. We've had two EVs and a third is coming, but none are Tesla for reasons stated.

I own four Teslas... all Powerwalls. I'm neither fanboy nor hater. Combining the ergonomic issues with the reliability issues has kept me from buying a Tesla car. We've had two EVs and a third is coming, but none are Tesla for reasons stated.
I drive Model 3 for 3 weeks now and has not yet found a single ergonomic issue. Service issues seem to be overblown. I had a single appt to fix a faulty charge port door, it was fixed. Totally enjoying my vehicle. Someone who lists two dozen defects is either very unlucky or looks for "defects" where other people don't look for them and don't notice - these can be so minor that they don't affect your driving experience unless you're focused on them and prefer to dwell on them. I really believe the same can be said of any other car brand, some edge cases always exist. If you prefer to see or assume the worst of the worst, well, good luck with other brands then.

Well... in addition to our Tesla we have 3 other BEV's in my family and none of them measure up to the Tesla... There is nothing that currently or in the near future that seemingly will be able to. That is with real world experience here. Now, you can educate me about your Powerwalls if you like. I want some of those, unless there is some negative advice (that I should consider) because you have the experience.

Last edited:
All these problems and horror stories, should i cancel my performance with performance upgrade order? Been thinking of doing it after the poor communication and shenanigans from them. The free supercharging just doesn't seem worth it. An ice dealership sounds more inviting, and that's pure hell.

Just go to Jaguar where there will be 20 bored sales people tripping themselves to help you.

You don’t get the P for the free supercharging because you can buy electricity if you can shell out 100K for the lifetime ownership of the car. Insurance, registration, etc.

You get the P because you can annihilate any production car on the road while having two screaming kids in the back row while dragging a full Costco run in the trunk and frunk. Exceptions aside from a fellow 100PL Tesla.

Also

7DF7C36E-33B1-4C2A-9E8F-F618CA21DD54.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Brando