Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Beta V

Author, Dad, Mentor, Technology Critic
Nov 8, 2017
Redmond, WA USA
I've been emailing Tesla over persistent issues I had with Angel, my Model X having to do with the voice command system refusing to listen (possibly because Angel has started to act like a teenager). After awhile Tim from service called and we spent over an hour on the phone working through issues.

He said, "Your cache is full." It seems Angel remembers every place I navigated to since I bought her two years ago and the system does not yet know how to overlay old addresses that have not been used. What I'm describing is a LFU queue in computer terms--least frequently used items are overlaid in any memory-management scheme. This is an upcoming feature.

He also had to rebuild my Bluetooth stack to deal with Angel not connecting my iPhone XS to the audio interface. As it was, from time-to-time, I would press on the upper "voice" button only to have Angel start transcribing what was playing on the radio. I told you she was getting to be more like a teen.

I also discovered (because my cell service Internet is not working at all up here in Redmond) that very little of the Nav system works when there is no Internet (duhh). I was noticing that my maps would fail to paint in parts of town and especially in downtown Redmond (where there are more Teslas than Volkswagons (literally). T-Mobile is "working" on the problem and they have been for over three weeks.

He lamented that he could not give me any encouragement on the progress of the rain-sense wiper (beta). They are struggling with how to detect rain--especially very light rain. I suggested they give the driver the option to make a sensitivity adjustment on the touch-screen. If we like it sensitive then so be it.

Tim pushed an update to the vehicle and after I installed it, Angel told me my DriveCam memory was not fast enough. It had been working from the day the feature was enabled. It seems the new spec calls for a "high-speed" USB key. Mine supports up to 150mb/sec (USB 3.0) so it's plenty fast enough (3x the spec). Once I reformatted (not just erased) the memory stick again, it worked fine.

This led me to another issue. Since I've discovered that Angel is afraid of being alone or around strange men, she records everything when Sentry Mode is enabled. Some guy walking by 10' away? Record it. A bird lands on the car next to her? Record it. Because of this, my memory stick quickly (within a couple of days) filled up. While the DriveCam recording seems to overlay old recordings, the Sentry Mode recording do not. Tip: 32GB is not big enough. Get a 64GB (but not larger--that's as big as Tesla supports) USB 3.0 or 3.1 memory stick.

We also talked about how the mirror retraction (MT) should work. IMHO, it should work like every other high-end car I've ever owned. The mirrors do not extend until my butt is in the seat or a put on my seatbelt. That way the car knows I'm not going to thump me or my passengers as they approach the car. He noted my suggestion. Perhaps, someday...

All-in-all, I'm more comfortable with Tesla service. Tim was great to work with and is a credit to the company.

I've been emailing Tesla over persistent issues I had with Angel, my Model X having to do with the voice command system refusing to listen (possibly because Angel has started to act like a teenager). After awhile Tim from service called and we spent over an hour on the phone working through issues.

He said, "Your cache is full." It seems Angel remembers every place I navigated to since I bought her two years ago and the system does not yet know how to overlay old addresses that have not been used. What I'm describing is a LFU queue in computer terms--least frequently used items are overlaid in any memory-management scheme. This is an upcoming feature.

He also had to rebuild my Bluetooth stack to deal with Angel not connecting my iPhone XS to the audio interface. As it was, from time-to-time, I would press on the upper "voice" button only to have Angel start transcribing what was playing on the radio. I told you she was getting to be more like a teen.

I also discovered (because my cell service Internet is not working at all up here in Redmond) that very little of the Nav system works when there is no Internet (duhh). I was noticing that my maps would fail to paint in parts of town and especially in downtown Redmond (where there are more Teslas than Volkswagons (literally). T-Mobile is "working" on the problem and they have been for over three weeks.

He lamented that he could not give me any encouragement on the progress of the rain-sense wiper (beta). They are struggling with how to detect rain--especially very light rain. I suggested they give the driver the option to make a sensitivity adjustment on the touch-screen. If we like it sensitive then so be it.

Tim pushed an update to the vehicle and after I installed it, Angel told me my DriveCam memory was not fast enough. It had been working from the day the feature was enabled. It seems the new spec calls for a "high-speed" USB key. Mine supports up to 150mb/sec (USB 3.0) so it's plenty fast enough (3x the spec). Once I reformatted (not just erased) the memory stick again, it worked fine.

This led me to another issue. Since I've discovered that Angel is afraid of being alone or around strange men, she records everything when Sentry Mode is enabled. Some guy walking by 10' away? Record it. A bird lands on the car next to her? Record it. Because of this, my memory stick quickly (within a couple of days) filled up. While the DriveCam recording seems to overlay old recordings, the Sentry Mode recording do not. Tip: 32GB is not big enough. Get a 64GB (but not larger--that's as big as Tesla supports) USB 3.0 or 3.1 memory stick.

We also talked about how the mirror retraction (MT) should work. IMHO, it should work like every other high-end car I've ever owned. The mirrors do not extend until my butt is in the seat or a put on my seatbelt. That way the car knows I'm not going to thump me or my passengers as they approach the car. He noted my suggestion. Perhaps, someday...

All-in-all, I'm more comfortable with Tesla service. Tim was great to work with and is a credit to the company.

FWIW, I use a 256GB flash drive for Sentry/DashCam and it works fine. You just need to use a 3rd party tool to format it to FAT32 in Windows as the native format utility won't do it. I did have to wipe it once when it was full, but it lasted a good 3-4 months before I did that.

Reactions: puhiniho and Beta V
Thanks, yes, I knew about the Fat32 formatting but I had forgotten about it. I'll try that next time.

Since I posted this, Tesla pushed down another update and it broke the Nav system entirely. It would no longer plot any routes--just show the "wait" spinning icon indefinitely.

Tim got to work on this and in three days got a patch installed to fix the problem. He said it wasn't just me--people all over the country were having the same issue.

Reactions: Spelly88