Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I like about V8 software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scottm

Legacy account
Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Despite whatever else and some bugs (that are to be expected anyway)...

I like that some fonts are bigger on the center stack.. for example the seat heater numeric indicator is bigger. That's a step in the right direction. My feeling is if there's screen real estate that can be used for larger anything, then make it larger.

I also like the new "current segment" and "whole trip" views when navigating to a destination on longer trips.

I like the voice reco feedback text as it's being recognized.

I drove 1000km this weekend on Friday, got the v8 update while away, and drove 1000km back on v8. So there was lots of time to try out stuff in the new nav.

Let's limit this thread to "likes" about V8, things you appreciate, without hesitation, that you view as an improvement over what you saw in previous release of 7.

Last edited:
1) Autopilot is way smoother in stop and go. Also follows/tracks the car ahead much better (which can, unfortunately make AP seem a little erratic when following an erratic driver who struggles to keep it between the lines)

2) The media player sounds *a lot* better & Dolby processing is now actually a nice effect on some music

3) I love the new media player app (helps that I use Tesla Tunes to load and organize USB music). YMMV on home rolled USB sticks I hear.

4) I like having Maps pinned to the top, as I kept it there anyway, and it makes it easy to select anything else and know where it will go.

5) Swipe down, round trip options and SOC in navigation

6) Connectivity seems much more reliable

7) Better looking and more functional UI all around.

Last edited:
Great idea! We so often focus on the negative and make no comment when things are working well.

• I like the move toward a UI design that maximizes content and removes unnecessary "chrome"
  • I love that the map stays at the top when I want to bring up other apps, and that the app bar at the top his hidden while driving, it provides less distraction and more space for useful map info
  • That all the data is in the main turn list, including round trip estimates without having to "flip" it over
  • As mentioned, the new whole route, and next leg views are nice
  • New media player, much quicker to get to frequently used stuff with the "Recent" section, I just wish my phone could be in the list of Recent sources!
  • I love that my Model X unlocks when I walk up to it: previously I would have to unlock it to unplug the charging cable, which would then open the drivers door. Not ideal if it's cold or raining because I would then have to close it again while I unplugged and stowed the cable. Now I can just walk up to it and unplug.
  • The new AP is much smoother at lane changing and approaching slowing or stopped traffic
  • The new visual warning to put a hand on the wheel is MUCH better. In the past I would often be driving down the highway paying attention to the road, with a hand on the wheel, but not enough torque for the car to sense it, and would miss the little alert to hold the wheel. Then the music would mute and the car would beep and my passengers would want to know what was going on, and it was annoying. Now with the white flash around the instrument cluster I don't miss it and can easily apply a little torque without getting the audio warning.
  • That when going through a speed zone the AP will automatically slow down, and then when the speed limit goes back up, it speeds up again!
Probably more stuff I'm forgetting at the moment.

My son noticed something I didn't... said it was an obvious improvement:

The "red arrow" navigation pointer on the map has a white pixel wide border around it now. Says, "makes it more obvious what it is"..

He also commented on color pallet changes of the google nav maps..

"the yellow (road traffic) is a better color, before it was too white"

And we both think the green lines is a nicer green.

.. kudos for color, kids notice this stuff

Reactions: JenniferQ
@AziwA @gavine this only works if auto steer is engaged as well as TACC. If you just have TACC set it will not slow down because it allows you to use it at any speed. Auto Steer is limited to 10 mph over the speed limit, so when the speed limit goes down it reduces the speed. I have my preferences set to speed limit +5, I'll have to check if it did that, or if it reduced to speed limit +10. I have seen it do that before even with v7.1, however I'm almost positive it would then be stuck there and you would have to manually speed it back up if the speed limit went up. Now it appears to do that automatically.

I've only had it for a day now, and so far no complaints. I like the new audio setup. There are a few little things I'd change, but nothing major. The autopilot is definitely a better/smoother driver than before. I can foresee maybe being a little annoyed by the nag on my next long trip.. but... I'll get used to it.

It appears if a smartphone was selected for the media source when leaving the car, upon return, the smartphone is still the media source. Prior to 8.0, the software always forgot it had been using the smartphone.