Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things I like about V8 software

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's another :

I like that the garage door opening feature chimes when it activates the button on your behalf. It used to be a "silent opener". Good little piece of feedback on v8, nice improvement.

Agree, though they should have chosen something more distinctive -- there are other situations that use the identical chime sound. The best one I can think of would be an elevator bell -- garage door going up/down, like an elevator.

If you just have TACC set it will not slow down because it allows you to use it at any speed

I expect folk know this, but in case not, pull-and-hold TACC/AP stalk will adjust to current speed limit (plus offset), so can be used on entering / leaving a speed limit when on TACC. Only slight snag as I see it is that the new speed limit doesn't come up until it has been entered, which can be a bit late to be slowing down - e.g. if coming from 70 MPH zone into 30 MPH !!

(This was the same in 7.1 too)

I just learned something today....

On setting the charge level, from the car,
arrows on the control jump in 10% steps to 90%
then jump in 2.5% steps after 90% up to 100%
(so 4 taps to get all the way to 100% from 90%).

I was used to using the slider only in v7 and lower, and it was tricky to get the car "right on 80 or 90" and when v8 came along with the smaller battery display with less distinct markings on the 10% steps and (is there one? marking at 90)... it was hell to pick an exact setting using just the slider alone. I needed to use the app from my phone to do it!

Then, someone pointed out the new arrows on the car control.

Thanks, I like that!

Reactions: wesley888
OK, my passenger likes this about v8... more than I do.

They no longer have to touch the center screen "to keep the car alive" when driver exits and they remain sitting in the parked car.

Now, they just sit there... so long as pressure remains in the front passenger seat the car keeps alive... HVAC on, radio playing, whatever...

Convenient!

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
I like it very much indeed, all of the above points positive, which makes it great imho.
Looks like focus is set on reducing distraction from the main screen and focus on driver's :)

I noticed that the contrast in the night is much improved on the NAV. Previously, I hardly could notice the thin lines for the small roads, now, looks like they chose a lighter shade of grey, making it much easier to read the map and select alternative route with a quick peak at the screen.

I am now so used to the NAV hiding the above icons that I really don't like seeing them anymore: if for some reason, I have another app on the top half, which thus does not hide the apps ribbon, I will quickly put the Nav back on.
Looks much more neat. Somehow, wished they would allow the same for the other apps.

I noticed also that the interface got faster. Certainly the controls/settings page, which I use to close the trunk (young kids, can't reach the button to close). In v7.x, it would take up to a minute before reacting, now within a sec, the control page shows up.

Being native french speaker, it is also great - and probably unknown in the US- that the voice command is also understanding french now. And it does it perfectly well: not only does it understand french commands, but also understand when you name a title song in english, and thus mix in the same sentence a french command ("Ecouter") and an english title. I find it quite impressive. With previous cars, when you had your car configured for french, it would "almost" understand french command words, but never understand english names or titels, so really useless. In the V8, it's perfect.
So much so that I never have to type in the search field, voice always works... Great job here.
Same for using NAV with voice command: streets or cities here sound french of dutch, and the voice recognise very well those. Seems like it is referencing the NAV's database to find matches, instead of general dictionary, making it very efficient.

The AP able to see two vehicles in front is much better.

Other little things:
  • I like also that clicking on the right wheel does not "uncheck" favorites anymore.
  • I like that long pressing on the left buttons (top or bottom) brings you from Spotify to your Favorites.
  • Back to voice command, just click once to signal recording start and click again to end is much better too
  • Reorganisation of the right buttons, grouping menu on the bottom right makes it also easier.
  • Long pressing on an App opens it on the top half: easy, makes it less distracting than to drag/drop it
  • In the media interface, in TuneIn, icons for stations are always correct: way much better than previously, where it would switch to the supposed cover of the song, with often poor results, or stuck to some weird classic music cover.
I'm of course not blind to the bugs (few) or improvements that could be, but I'm fully supportive of Tesla and like the positiveness of this thread.
Winning teams are the ones where teammates encourage each other and will put more emphasis on what is good and went well. And adres what needs to improve in a positive manner.:)