Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things must be better? Ended up rejecting my vehicle delivery today 06.03.2023

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I joined TMC in 2020, the Model Y Delivery forum was post after post of horrible delivery experiences, manufacturing & workmanship defects, SC nightmares, etc. I look around 3 years later and things appear to be much calmer. The most popular QC related post atm depicts issues, while troubling, that are trivial compared to what we saw in 2020.

Has QC really improved or have folks been beaten into submission? Picking up a ‘23 MYP Saturday, so I’ll soon learn for myself, just curious.

Reactions: LeFrankeh
The views on this topic vary widely (to say the least), but our white 2021 LR and now our black 2023 MYP fully met our expectations. We've been buying/leasing cars for ~25 years and have plenty of perspective regarding what to expect. I know there are plenty of justifiable issues that are discovered and require repairs, but we've been pleased with both deliveries/cars.

Reactions: SO16
The views on this topic vary widely (to say the least), but our white 2021 LR and now our black 2023 MYP fully met our expectations. We've been buying/leasing cars for ~25 years and have plenty of perspective regarding what to expect. I know there are plenty of justifiable issues that are discovered and require repairs, but we've been pleased with both deliveries/cars.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I had a terrible experience with my 2020 MYLR, so bad that Tesla ended up re-purchasing the vehicle. I understood then that I was simply unlucky, and there were many folks out there who had much better experiences.

Overall the build quality of the Model Y has vastly improved in the three years since I bought my first one. I was supposed to take delivery of a HW 3.0 MYP today but it didn't pan out the way I wanted.

I'll start with the good:
  1. Hatch, glass, hood, fender, and door alignment is significantly better than the 2020 cars. The car had uniform gaps and the doors closed softly. Hatch alignment was perfect and there was no evidence of tampering on the hinges.
  2. Interior was near perfect. Very clean top to bottom. No significant issues.
  3. No weird or unsightly gaps around headlights, no headlight lip over bumper cover issue, and no overlap of fender tip to bumper cover issue.
  4. Car was unlocked and Tesla staff gave me all the time needed to look over the car
The bad:
  1. The headliner was sagging a bit in the center. Weird that this has not been addressed since it was very common back in 2020.
  2. Paint was scratched in a few places. Clear coat scratches deep enough to catch the fingernail.
  3. The passenger doors need to pulled in ~2mm (striker plate adjustment) but the hinges were properly positioned and aligned and had not been tampered with.
Ultimately I did not get the confidence I needed that the paint would be corrected to my satisfaction. Tesla service is very hit-or-miss when it comes to fixing cosmetic issues and they refused to issue a credit. Tesla staff was respectful and courteous throughout, but I've had too many bad experiences with the SC to trust that these issues would be resolved with minimal hassle.

70751151375__A505E8CF-A3A4-4BFF-9625-D86C4A34D13C.JPG
70751148723__C405A760-82C8-44B1-B346-E174BE020BA6.JPG
70751176316__9486EC76-154C-42E0-99F3-838CCAC57DD9.JPG

Reactions: yellowr6
Overall the build quality of the Model Y has vastly improved in the three years since I bought my first one. I was supposed to take delivery of a HW 3.0 MYP today but it didn't pan out the way I wanted.

I'll start with the good:
  1. Hatch, glass, hood, fender, and door alignment is significantly better than the 2020 cars. The car had uniform gaps and the doors closed softly. Hatch alignment was perfect and there was no evidence of tampering on the hinges.
  2. Interior was near perfect. Very clean top to bottom. No significant issues.
  3. No weird or unsightly gaps around headlights, no headlight lip over bumper cover issue, and no overlap of fender tip to bumper cover issue.
  4. Car was unlocked and Tesla staff gave me all the time needed to look over the car
The bad:
  1. The headliner was sagging a bit in the center. Weird that this has not been addressed since it was very common back in 2020.
  2. Paint was scratched in a few places. Clear coat scratches deep enough to catch the fingernail.
  3. The passenger doors need to pulled in ~2mm (striker plate adjustment) but the hinges were properly positioned and aligned and had not been tampered with.
Ultimately I did not get the confidence I needed that the paint would be corrected to my satisfaction. Tesla service is very hit-or-miss when it comes to fixing cosmetic issues and they refused to issue a credit. Tesla staff was respectful and courteous throughout, but I've had too many bad experiences with the SC to trust that these issues would be resolved with minimal hassle.

View attachment 943719View attachment 943720View attachment 943721
What is the first photo of ?