Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things not to do with a Roadster.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was hoping this was the one place I'd never feel compelled to post, but alas, the very first day I got my Tesla I already had an event worthy of this thread. Now I have two more, so I've got to post here.

Here's something never to do with your Roadster. Within seconds of parking it in my garage for the first time, I took out the manual and set it on top of a piece of cardboard on the roof of my Tesla to open it and examine each of the little books inside, certain it was safe. It's metal. What were they thinking making it out of slippery metal, with knife-sharp edges? I slammed the door on the driver's side and the metal book slid off the cardboard, across the roof (scratching the paint) and landed (corner down) on the passenger door sill, scraping away some protective film, then hit the concrete and formed a needle-sharp burr. I took a file to all of the corners and edges to eliminate the knife-sharpness immediately after cursing for a few minutes.

Next thing not to do. I opened the box containing the mobile connector and slipped it's manual in with the rest of the manuals (which look identical and have the same exact form factor) and put it away under the passenger seat. It was a little tough getting it in there... hmm, I thought, this seems different now. Then I tried to get it out. 10 minutes later, having wiggled it back and forth each way until my fingers were raw, I managed to wrestle it free. I explained the problem to my sales guy and his response? "We recommend that you take out the Tesla manuals from that little pocket and put your car registration and insurance information in there." What? Tesla actually recommends NOT bringing your manuals along? I wish I didn't find myself shaking my head so much with regard to this car. I love it so much, but there's just a certain amount of madness involved in its design. I felt under the passenger seat and there's plenty of room to make the box that holds the manual a little bigger so it can hold more stuff inside. If it was designed just a little differently, it would expand with the manual to maintain a firm but gentle grip. My two cents. Maybe I'm just a complainer?

Third thing not to do with a Tesla. When I first got the car I hadn't read the manuals completely and was trying to close my trunk by slamming it. Hah. I felt like such a fool when I read that you're supposed to close it by pressing down with increasing pressure on each side until it clicks. Duh! So tonight I'm pressing down with increasing pressure when I realize I'm in excruciating pain and I've got the tip of one finger trapped just inside the edge of the trunk and it's about to click. Gahh! I let up just in time. Still giving me the willies. Moral of the story? Keep my fingers aimed out flat when closing the trunk... don't be tempted to grip it!

Last edited:
Third thing not to do with a Tesla. When I first got the car I hadn't read the manuals completely and was trying to close my trunk by slamming it. Hah. I felt like such a fool when I read that you're supposed to close it by pressing down with increasing pressure on each side until it clicks. Duh! So tonight I'm pressing down with increasing pressure when I realize I'm in excruciating pain and I've got the tip of one finger trapped just inside the edge of the trunk and it's about to click. Gahh! I let up just in time. Still giving me the willies. Moral of the story? Keep my fingers aimed out flat when closing the trunk... don't be tempted to grip it!

I guess you didn't get a walkaround from a Tesla sales rep? They always make a point of showing you the trunk closing procedure!

I've actually watched someone close their trunk by slamming it... and they were successful :scared:

... That's how hard they slammed.

What I don't understand is why you're putting the manuals in the iPad holder.

Until I read this post I did not realize there was storage under the passenger seat. 6000 miles and 6 months to discover this :redface:

Still my interior storage space has just doubled :biggrin:

I cringed at the manual scratching the car story. So very sorry.
I do keep my camera manual in the camera bag but I don't keep my Iphone manual (such that it is) in my pocket. The Roadster manual stays in my office with others.

I started a thread for new Roadster owners but it got some traction back (6/09)then and was seen as Tesla bashing so even though I had more comments to add, I withheld. Nothing about the manual though.
So You've Got A New Roadster
Maybe now enough time has passed that journalists won't care anymore.

I took a friend to the airport last night and tried to put his rather small suitcase in the trunk.... the suitcase was just a tad bit to high for the trunk, and I ended up slightly damaging the carbon fiber on the inside of the trunk when I tried to close it! Lesson: never try to get something into the trunk unless you are sure it fits! I can just imagine somebody slamming the trunk shut and actually breaking the carbon fiber or maybe having a sharp object sticking right through it!

Do not catch your belt loop on door latch getting in or out.
Do not catch you shoelace on the torque pedal when getting in either.
Things loaded in the trunk should NOT go above the rubber. Even if it's soft and squishable.

Lesson: never try to get something into the trunk unless you are sure it fits!

Another reason to never, ever loan my Roadster to anyone. Unless you know everything about this vehicle you could damage something within the first few hours of having it.

Speaking of the trunk, the middle of the trunk is the worst. The lid comes down much tighter in the middle than on than on the ends.

Last edited:
Another reason to never, ever loan my Roadster to anyone. Unless you know everything about this vehicle you could damage something within the first few hours of having it.

Speaking of the trunk, the middle of the trunk is the worst. The lid comes down much tighter in the middle than on than on the ends.

Yeah, that's for sure... it's such a delicate car, you really have to be careful of everything. It was the middle part of the trunk that hit and was slightly damaged. It sure looked to me like that suitcase would fit!

I only have to shop for me so there's not too many bags, but if the hard top is on and I've left the soft top in the trunk I always ask the bagger to only fill them exactly half-full, which always gets a funny look unless I mention that I have a very small trunk.

I've memorized exactly how big the space is between the mounts for the spoiler and the car, in the gap. It's just big enough to push in the tip of my little finger, and it's tight. If I feel a gap any bigger I immediately know I've got something too tall in the trunk.

When moving things around in the trunk to make room for other things, don't leave anything sitting on top of the PEM/motor housing or battery compartment when you're closing the trunk! I always look now. I've only left a scarf and soft hat on it, but could easily have closed the trunk against a big screwdriver once if I hadn't noticed at the last second. When others are working on anything in the back of my Tesla I keep a very close watch on them to make sure they're not sticking anything up there.

I'm thinking there might be a direct correlation between catching belt loops, shoe laces, leaving things on the PEM, sliding metal across the paint and being annoyed at the 'door ajar' warning going off because the car was started before shutting the door.

Just sayin'. :)