Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things overheard while waiting at the SC...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my car in for a quick fix of the passenger mirror today that only took 1 hours so I opted to wait while they fixed it. I wasn't trying to ease drop but the waiting area is right where they all sit so I couldn't help but overhear these things:

- A guy with a P85D came in and wanted to know how he could get "more wattage" on his battery. He wanted to go to a 90KWh battery and the SC girl told him $23k+tax. To upgrade to Ludicrous mode, he had to go and put a deposit online. I don't get why they couldn't do that for him while he was there since he took the time to come in. Incidentally, he was not driving his Tesla but an ICE so not sure what's up with that.
- Someone with an older S with tech wanted to upgrade to AP and they said $3200+tax. Isn't this higher than the quoted price when you order a new car with AP and you want to enable it after the fact? Maybe going from Tech to AP is different than the newer models going to AP post-production?
- A guy biked up (as in bicycle) to the center and asked if that was his X that just drove down the street. Confusion ensued when he said he put down a deposit but had not yet configured it. Apparently he's so excited about it he thought it was his (black X was the only thing he knew it was) and wanted to look at it. It wasn't coming back for the day so there was no chance we could look at it even from the outside since it's a customer's car and they wouldn't be able to let him in it anyhow.

A bit voyeuristic but still, I sometimes learn stuff eavesdropping. :)

I figure other people might have other interesting things they've overheard at their SCs they would want to share.

Had my car in for a quick fix of the passenger mirror today that only took 1 hours so I opted to wait while they fixed it. I wasn't trying to ease drop but the waiting area is right where they all sit so I couldn't help but overhear these things:

- A guy with a P85D came in and wanted to know how he could get "more wattage" on his battery. He wanted to go to a 90KWh battery and the SC girl told him $23k+tax. To upgrade to Ludicrous mode, he had to go and put a deposit online. I don't get why they couldn't do that for him while he was there since he took the time to come in. Incidentally, he was not driving his Tesla but an ICE so not sure what's up with that.
- Someone with an older S with tech wanted to upgrade to AP and they said $3200+tax. Isn't this higher than the quoted price when you order a new car with AP and you want to enable it after the fact? Maybe going from Tech to AP is different than the newer models going to AP post-production?
- A guy biked up (as in bicycle) to the center and asked if that was his X that just drove down the street. Confusion ensued when he said he put down a deposit but had not yet configured it. Apparently he's so excited about it he thought it was his (black X was the only thing he knew it was) and wanted to look at it. It wasn't coming back for the day so there was no chance we could look at it even from the outside since it's a customer's car and they wouldn't be able to let him in it anyhow.

A bit voyeuristic but still, I sometimes learn stuff eavesdropping. :)

I figure other people might have other interesting things they've overheard at their SCs they would want to share.

As it happens, I was there at the Denver SC a little earlier, when that black Sig X was still parked outside in the SC's lot. I walked around it and noted the VIN (PM me if you think it might be yours, black, white interior, Ludicrous XP90D; it looked fresh off the truck, with transport stickers and grease paint notes scrawled on the windshield). It was my first good look at an X, but the falcon wing doors never moved, even when two employees came out and drove it off. :wink:

Older S with tech upgrade to AP for $3200? I assume it's not an older S and has the full sensor suite? Else I'm signing up!
Yeah wish I could give more details on it since I was hearing one side of the conversation so I'm not sure what the owner has. I was just confused that you could upgrade to AP if you have the tech package and the price did seem off - too high to be for those with the AP HW and too low for those without?

- - - Updated - - -

As it happens, I was there at the Denver SC a little earlier, when that black Sig X was still parked outside in the SC's lot. I walked around it and noted the VIN (PM me if you think it might be yours, black, white interior, Ludicrous XP90D; it looked fresh off the truck, with transport stickers and grease paint notes scrawled on the windshield). It was my first good look at an X, but the falcon wing doors never moved, even when two employees came out and drove it off. :wink:
I just missed it then. Yeah I want to see those falcon wings in action too!

Yeah wish I could give more details on it since I was hearing one side of the conversation so I'm not sure what the owner has. I was just confused that you could upgrade to AP if you have the tech package and the price did seem off - too high to be for those with the AP HW and too low for those without?

- - - Updated - - -

I just missed it then. Yeah I want to see those falcon wings in action too!

$3k plus tax. Sounds about right per the web page. Of course, assumes sensor package already on car.

Can confirm the $3k price tag, as this is something I've looked into. Configured my S in September 2015 without AP as it didn't really have any functionality at the time and I drive on city roads 99% of the time with little freeway travel. I'm still debating on getting it activated, although I probably should as more and more functionality is coming online... plus I've had 3 different people already ask me if it drives itself.

I'm still debating on getting it activated, although I probably should as more and more functionality is coming online... plus I've had 3 different people already ask me if it drives itself.

Caligula - I did the same when I got mine and then added it after 3 months. Added a whole dimension to the experience. I drive about 5 miles each day on divided highways and didn't expect it to be used but I turn it on every single day now and enjoy the experience. Especially nice in stop and go traffic.