Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things that could be improved on your 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like Sentry to be a bit more configurable and smart:

* Sensitivity
* Headlights flash on/off (this attracts people to the car unnecessarily)
* Audio recording on/off (car has a mic, let's use it!)
* Occupancy detection - if car detects an occupant without detecting an approach first, don't play the bloody music. Or let us switch the music off by default.

Also, can we have a media player built into Theatre for reviewing Sentry clips?

Not asking for much, right :D

RE the occupancy detection. I had a problem where if I left my kids in the car, the alarm music would deafen them. Solution is to use dog mode.

• Funny
Reactions: freekie and Cogarch
Wheel rims designed so that it isn't amazingly easy to get rim rash! I never had it in previous cars and got it twice within two weeks of getting the 3 :( (combo of low tires and rim extending out is deadly - scrapes on low curbs that most cars would just have touch the tire)

Agree with this one. In many years of driving, not kerbed a single alloy wheel. In my first week of Model 3 ownership, I managed to kerb the front passenger alloy. Grrrr.

The wipers. Nothing else, just the wipers. Drove through squally showers yesterday. Rain coming on very hard and all of a sudden. Wipers stayed on intermittant for at least 20 seconds after rain started each time. Impossible to see, had to do lots of manual pressing. Needs improving asap as it's a safety issue.

Many downpours in sunny Wales over the last fortnight and I honestly haven’t found it too much of a problem.
I’d definitely like the auto wipers to be more sensitive and quick to respond. So I don’t disagree with the main principle.

But I find a quick press of the button on the stalk gives them a single wipe and it also automatically brings up the wiper control on screen. So if it’s really heavy I just press one of the quicker manual wiper speeds on screen straight after pressing the stalk button.

About time. It was potentially downright dangerous yesterday and lack of tactile controls meant having to take eyes off road in conditions where, had I not been on autopilot so could glance just long enough, would have been asking for trouble. Only fastest mode could keep up with the deluge, then suddenly nothing, then deluge, repeat...

Seems like a lot of trouble to go to just to solve a problem that has already been solved by other manufacturers using dedicated rain sensors. Use the right tool for the job ... you can use a screwdriver as a chisel but no matter how good a screwdriver it is it's never going to be a good chisel!
I can decide when the windscreen wipers need to be on using visual cues so there is no reason why the camera (with the right software) cannot be a pretty good chisel. Maybe even better than a current rain sensor. Just a shame users have to beta test it.
Hopefully it works well since they are feeding the data into the FSD not just the wipers!
Also you can't go back and add a sensor to the M3 retrospectively but you can update the software. if you can solve it with software so avoid the need to add additional hardware to future models that costs and can fail then that is a win for the future.

I can decide when the windscreen wipers need to be on using visual cues so there is no reason why the camera (with the right software) cannot be a pretty good chisel. Maybe even better than a current rain sensor. Just a shame users have to beta test it.
Hopefully it works well since they are feeding the data into the FSD not just the wipers!
Also you can't go back and add a sensor to the M3 retrospectively but you can update the software. if you can solve it with software so avoid the need to add additional hardware to future models that costs and can fail then that is a win for the future.

For our existing cars I am delighted that Tesla are working to refine and improve the current camera-based wiper automation. However, my point is that for future models, and the small cost of including a rain sensor, it seems a waste of software development resources and computing power just to end up with something that's probably only going to end up being "as good as" what I've had in my Fiesta for years. Let's just hope I'm wrong!

Reactions: Cwmwd
Did anyone mention WiFi reception strength? I've set up a new access point which is inside a thin-walled wooden garage. It's about 10ft from the Wifi point to the car which is outside (specifically to the drivers side mirror where the antenna is located). Any other device gets 90% signal strength but the car gets an "adequate" 2 bars.

Did anyone mention WiFi reception strength? I've set up a new access point which is inside a thin-walled wooden garage. It's about 10ft from the Wifi point to the car which is outside (specifically to the drivers side mirror where the antenna is located). Any other device gets 90% signal strength but the car gets an "adequate" 2 bars.
WiFi strength is terrible, I had to run a cat 5 to the pavement and my wireless acess point. Fortunately it has power over internet. Had to be about 5ft from driver's wing mirror. Prior to that (and with access point in plain site with house front doors open, but 15ft away) I tried to no avail; 2g, 5g, several channels, and burning incense to Elon.