Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things the sales guy said...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Of forgot that one. Yes he told us the cameras pick up the speed limit signs and display on drive dash. We were surprised and thought this was cool and we hadn't heard of it. Now that I have the car I know how wrong he was as I am get wrong speed limits often.

Well, it is an AP feature, one of the few the AP1 cars had at launch along with lane departure and auto high beams. It hasn't shown up on AP2+ firmware yet, but I'm sure it will at some point.

I'm just curious, what is the fixation some people have about their view out the rear?

I actually miss the older version rear view mirror from 2013-2016. It was slightly larger and permitted us to see both kids faces in the mirror while talking. The new one...nope. Also seems like it causes a bit less visibility to the rear than our previous 90D.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
My old man always warned me to always be observant of cars behind me - be ready for battle any time in case I'm being followed. True story. I developed a habit of looking into review mirror...but now I just keep an eye out with the camera.
battle? what sort of battle? maybe that sort of attitude is a problem unto itself. I really don't care about what is going on behind me, excepting when I am in the fast lane and I don't care to that guy who is dawdling there and I find that the rear view mirror is sufficient to see if I'm hogging the lane.

why?
what could be going on back there that would be something to divert you from being focused on where the car is going?
I try to look out the windshield, especially in heavy traffic, what is happening to my rear is of no interest to me. it's not like I can control what a driver to my rear is going to do nor could I react to anything happening back there, especially in heavy traffic.

I'm not watching it when I'm driving forward. I use it when making lane changes.

Ottawa drivers are actually pretty rude; they'll rarely let you in, and often will accelerate to close the gap when you try to merge in front of them. If I can see their nose in the rear view camera I know for certain that I can continue my merge and won't hit them.

I have a late '15 MS and I am unaware of any sort of change to the mirror, nonetheless I still don't understand the fascination some people have for monitoring the rear.

Change must have happened late 2016 or early 2017. The new mirror is smaller in dimension.

I’m only fascinated with my children’s beautiful and innocent faces/smiles. :)

Couldn’t care less abt rear traffic.

Wow, some of this was hard to read of what the sales person mentions. I think the back up camera looks cool when you offer demo rides to friends. The camera also allows you to cut off tractor trailers while at highway speeds. (I'm just kidding)

I've been able to avoid 2 different rear end collisions by seeing that the car behind me wasn't going to stop and moving over to the shoulder. Both times the car came to a stop in the space previously occupied by my car. When I'm stopped on the freeway I pretty much always watch what is going on behind me since that is where the accident will be coming from.

I've been able to avoid 2 different rear end collisions by seeing that the car behind me wasn't going to stop and moving over to the shoulder. Both times the car came to a stop in the space previously occupied by my car. When I'm stopped on the freeway I pretty much always watch what is going on behind me since that is where the accident will be coming from.
thanks, that's interesting advice. in the very unlikely event that I am stopped on a freeway type road where there is no other car behind be I'll sure to be extra vigilant. that said if I am approaching a wall of stopped traffic I slow down considerably before coming to a complete stop and 99.9 out of a hundred times there will be cars with frustrated drivers behind me.

thanks, that's interesting advice. in the very unlikely event that I am stopped on a freeway type road where there is no other car behind be I'll sure to be extra vigilant. that said if I am approaching a wall of stopped traffic I slow down considerably before coming to a complete stop and 99.9 out of a hundred times there will be cars with frustrated drivers behind me.

This answers your curiosity why people like the back view camera. Millions of drivers are very likely to involve an event where they come to a full stop on a freeway due to traffic ahead. Back view camera allows you to observe traffic behind you. How else will someone know 99.9 out of a hundred times a driver behind you is upset.

It's a great feature and observant drivers love that option.

Of forgot that one. Yes he told us the cameras pick up the speed limit signs and display on drive dash. We were surprised and thought this was cool and we hadn't heard of it. Now that I have the car I know how wrong he was as I am get wrong speed limits often.

I'm reading my Owners Manual for my soon-to-be-built MS. It says the camera in the front DOES read speed limit signs, coupled with GPS data of the road...and displays the speed limit.

Am I missing something? I was pretty sure this was a feature. My friend's MS does it, and it works well.

After reading this thread I had to add my 2 cents about the rear view, as I do keep an eye on traffic behind me to make sure they stop...
I have been driving my S for almost 3 years, its big enough for me

but I have this quote for everyone to smile and enjoy.....

See, when you drive home today, you've got a big windshield on the front of your car. And you've got a little bitty rearview mirror. And the reason the windshield is so large and the rearview mirror is so small is because what's happened in your past is not near as important as what's in your future. Joel Osteen

So funny to find this thread. I was at a social event at my local SC yesterday and chatted with a couple of different sales people, the sales manager and the service manager. They all seemed to have different levels of technical awareness and "towing the company line". One of the salesmen told me in no certain terms that all the features of EAP and FSD were completed and ready to go and only being held up by government approval. I've never laughed out loud so hard in my life. Although I brought up many deficiencies of EAP, the best was he had no answer to "Why, exactly, is the government holding up my rain sensing wipers". **crickets**. Some of these people are so clueless, it almost doesn't seem like a fair fight to argue with them.

Wish Tesla would simply read an impending accident and just take over the wheel, perform its quadrillion calculations to determine the most likely outcome for survival or lack of damage and execute a steering maneuver.

Oh one can dream...