Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things the sales guy said...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The absence of this feature really confuses me. It's not a complex thing to do.

.... kind of is, actually. Ignoring that OCR is kind of CPU intensive.... you can't have it just reading any numbers that you drive past as speed limits; it needs to recognize that something is a speed limit sign, and then OCR it. And recognizing a speed limit sign is not trivial (image recognition in general isn't). I'm not sure whether, if I were in their shoes, I'd try to write an algorithm for sign recognition or rely on a neural net. I have a feeling that the algorithm would keep discovering new failure cases that hadn't been encountered before. But neural nets are CPU-hungry black boxes, and not only do they need a very large dataset of manually-evaluated training data, but if something goes wrong, you have no way to be able to tell why (just feed in more training data similar to the failure case and hope the ANN gets better....)

They'll get it. But I'm not surprised that it - or any other aspect of trying to recreate AP1 - is taking a while. Tesla is taking on the most difficult of self-driving tasks (realtime adaptive road navigation - rather than pre-computed maps, like Mercedes uses - with affordable, practical sensors - rather than expensive, awkward LIDAR domes like Waymo uses).

I took my wife for a test drive this weekend.

She was shocked when I told her about autopilot, so I decided to double-down and described the autopilot from Men In Black - how the Tesla will shrink the steering wheel and retract it back into the dash. Wide-eyed look or terror came across her face, and I think she believed me (at least a little.)

Unfortuantely, the sales girl (lady) couldn't keep a straight face and my now-releaved wife was able to enjoy the test drive.

Best thing the sales lady did was to take a lot of time explaining the screen before we headed out - it really put the wife at ease, and she said she was a lot more comfortable driving the car after that.

Oh, and my wife's only words to our teenage son afterwards were "it's fast."

Good times.

During my delivery walkthrough, my guy told me that the sunroof was polarized, so that if it were open, you could watch an eclipse through where the panes overlapped.

I didn't try it.
This probably tops the list of the dumbest thing I've heard from a sales rep.

Polarization does not block the harmful UV rays that could blind someone if they stare at the eclipse :facepalm: