Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things to do after teslive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Teslive will be the first time I have really ventured out of Illinois, because of this I was thinking about spending time after teslive in California. Could anyone suggest tourists things to do around the hotel area?

There's a phenomenal museum of computer technology across the bay - http://www.computerhistory.org/ - admission is free.

A true story - there are two video games (Galaxy - this was before Pong, etc) in there, from the student union at Stanford. I spent a ton of time in my high school years playing on those very same boxes. Not ones like them those exact boxes. They still work, by the way, but the docents wouldn't let me play...

BTW, they have an actual, working Babbage Difference Engine. If you know what that is, it should make you drool.

Teslive will be the first time I have really ventured out of Illinois, because of this I was thinking about spending time after teslive in California. Could anyone suggest tourists things to do around the hotel area?

Well, take an extra day off, and spend it in The City. Golden Gate Bridge, Golden Gate Park, Cable Cars, Alcatraz, Lombard Street--'crookedest street in the world', Chinatown, 1000 fabulous restauants, and on and on--there is more than there is time for and you will be delighted you took the extra time to visit. San Francisco is one of the most interesting cities in the world. It will be even more fun than TESLIVE "Gasp!"

Forgot to mention the Exploratorium, and interactive science museum. That's up in SF, near Fisherman's Wharf. Plan to spend at least 3 hours there.

And the DeYoung museum, the Oakland museum, etc... BART is your friend for getting around.

The hotel is in Milpitas which is the armpit of the bay area (turn the map upside down and you'll see why ;) - a huge dump near 880 brings such nice smells especially during the warmer months.
After Teslive, I would get another hotel somewhere else since the travelling time to some of the suggestions are pretty long because of traffic.

If you have serious time in the area and are outdoorsy, consider a half-day trip to the Muir Woods (not too far north of SF) or head to Yosemite (a longer trip worthy of at least a full day, but if you leave before the crack of dawn and like hiking, you can take in a few waterfalls up close, see the valley from both the top and bottom by car, and sleep very well at the hotel that night! The hike to the top of Yosemite falls is strenuous, but the area just above the falls and the viewing area barely hanging on the cliff side adjacent to the falls is epic for a day hike)

My wife and I are planning on just taking a day in SF after breakfast on Sunday. Right now, flying in to SJC and out of SFO is the same price as a round trip into either airport, so is the best way to get to SF from the Crowne Plaza in a rental? Our flight out on Monday would be around 9am, which makes me think that flying out of SFO would be better than coming back down to SJC. Ideally I'd rather not have a rental, since we can shuttle to the Crowne, and wouldn't need it in downtown SF, but I assume the ride up to SF and back out to the airport would make the rental a cheaper option. Where's the hyper loop when you need it??

Anyway, advice or tips welcome, hotel in SF will likely be a Marriott brand.

You can have the shuttle bring you to the VTA light rail station and take it to Mountain View. From Mountain View, you can either take the Cal Train directly to the city or to Millbrae and get onto BART - depends on where you'd like to go in the city. BART can also take you directly to the airport - parking in the city is a pain (Sundays are not free anymore either!) and summer brings a lot of crowds into the city. If you get a car, you can park at the Colma BART station and take BART in or park at 261 Ellis St. (between Mason & Taylor St) for $10 all day and that's the center of tourist attractions (Union Square). From there you can take the cable car/taxi to wherever you plan to go - some suggestions are the Exploratorium, Alcatraz (make reservations early!), bike across Golden Gate Bridge to Sausalito/Tiburon (rent in Fisherman's Wharf), Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park, walk up Vallejo St for the views, high tea at the Fairmont.

One thing to remember is that it's about 20-30 degrees (F) cooler in SF than in Milpitas so when you leave it might be nice and warm but then it'll be freezing in SF - definitely pack your winter jackets/layers!

My wife and I are planning on just taking a day in SF after breakfast on Sunday. Right now, flying in to SJC and out of SFO is the same price as a round trip into either airport, so is the best way to get to SF from the Crowne Plaza in a rental? Our flight out on Monday would be around 9am, which makes me think that flying out of SFO would be better than coming back down to SJC. Ideally I'd rather not have a rental, since we can shuttle to the Crowne, and wouldn't need it in downtown SF, but I assume the ride up to SF and back out to the airport would make the rental a cheaper option. Where's the hyper loop when you need it??

Anyway, advice or tips welcome, hotel in SF will likely be a Marriott brand.