Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things to do or get for first time owners

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Tesla mud flaps are only for the front wheel wells. There are several active threads regarding the pros, cons and choices of mud flaps for the Model Y.

A short far but from complete list of accessories that new Tesla owners look to purchase include:

Screen protector
Front row, second row, third row (where equipped) floor liners
Hatch and storage bin floor liners
Mud flaps
Tesla paint protection film (PPF) for the rear doors
Data storage devices (SSD, MicroSD card, USB drive) for capturing Dash Cam recordings, Sentry Mode recordings and optionally music files
Spare tire kits (Modern spare)
Wheels and tires
Lift point pads (can be used when jacking up the vehicle, changing wheels/tires)
Tesla Acceleration Boost (AB) over the air update for the Model Y
Tow hitch package (can be added after purchase of the vehicle or from the factory); You can also install a 3rd party tow hitch.
Bike racks (Requires a tow hitch)
Front license plate mounting bracket (May be needed if your state requires a front license plate and you don't want to use the Tesla license plate mount that attaches with double sided 3M automotive trim tape.)

Last edited:
Reactions: house9
Don't the newer models of 3 and Y come with a USB drive for DashCam/Sentry in the glove box now?
That is correct however the USB thumb drive that comes with the Tesla vehicle is not well suited to the high level of writing data to the drive from Sentry Mode, Tesla Dash Cam. The Tesla USB thumb drive is a nice piece of swag but for more reliable, long term data recording you would be better off with either an SSD or use a USB-MicroSD adapter and a MicroSD memory card such as the SanDisk Endurance card or Samsung Pro Endurance memory card. Unless you plan to store a large music collection on a partition of the SSD or MicroSD card 128GBs of storage is all you would need (a 128GB storage device can store approx. 18 hours of video.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NJX3tomY and house9
Are the trunk/frunk lights as pitifully dim on the Y as they are/were on the S? If so:
I've not had an issue with the hatch area lighting. I rarely use the frunk for storage. The 3rd party door puddle lights are popular.

The Tesla mud flaps are only for the front wheel wells. There are several active threads regarding the pros, cons and choices of mud flaps for the Model Y.

A short far but from complete list of accessories that new Tesla owners look to purchase include:

Screen protector
Front row, second row, third row (where equipped) floor liners
Hatch and storage bin floor liners
Mud flaps
Tesla paint protection film (PPF) for the rear doors
Data storage devices (SSD, MicroSD card, USB drive) for capturing Dash Cam recordings, Sentry Mode recordings and optionally music files
Spare tire kits (Modern spare)
Wheels and tires
Lift point pads (can be used when jacking up the vehicle, changing wheels/tires)
Tesla Acceleration Boost (AB) over the air update for the Model Y

So for the mud flaps can I ask them to add it on delivery day or is that something I have to get myself and install myself?
Same for the PFF for rear doors?
Might be nice if we have links to some of the other items? Or is that prohibited here cause its advertising?

I personally am looking for 7 seater floor liners and frunk+trunk liners, anyone with recommendations?

So for the mud flaps can I ask them to add it on delivery day or is that something I have to get myself and install myself?
Same for the PFF for rear doors?
Might be nice if we have links to some of the other items? Or is that prohibited here cause its advertising?

I personally am looking for 7 seater floor liners and frunk+trunk liners, anyone with recommendations?
The Tesla Mudflaps are something you or a friend can install in 10 minutes. The only tool required is a flat blade screwdriver or a notched fastener removal tool (2 pop in fasteners per side.)

The Tesla PPF is a do-it-your-self install. I suppose you could have an auto detailing shop or similar install the Tesla PPF. There is more prep work with the PPF (door panels must be clean, dry. You need a spray bottle for the slip solution (recommended 15/85 mixture of baby shampoo and water). The kit includes the two pieces of pre-cut PPF and a plastic squeegee tool.

If you search the Interior and Exterior Model Y forum, other forums you will find threads on all of these accessories.

I purchased my floor liners, hatch floor liner from Tesmanian. I also purchased the Tesmanian trunk organizer for holding groceries. Tesmanian has available liners for the frunk bin, rear hatch storage areas, seat back protectors, roof sun shade and many other accessories. I have the 5 seat Model Y. I have not seen any 3rd row floor liners or hatch area liner for 7 seat Model Y advertised as available yet but those are coming.

There are many brands or floor liners including Tesla (made by WeatherTech), 3D Maxpider (that is how it is spelled). Check the threads for more choices.

Last edited:
That is correct however the USB thumb drive that comes with the Tesla vehicle is not well suited to the high level of writing data to the drive from Sentry Mode, Tesla Dash Cam. The Tesla USB thumb drive is a nice piece of swag but for more reliable, long term data recording you would be better off with either an SSD or use a USB-MicroSD adapter and a MicroSD memory card such as the SanDisk Endurance card or Samsung Pro Endurance memory card. Unless you plan to store a large music collection on a partition of the SSD or MicroSD card 128GBs of storage is all you would need (a 128GB storage device can store approx. 18 hours of video.)

SSD

The current versions of Tesla's Dash Cam and Sentry Mode, the Sentry Mode Viewer will now work with exFAT and NTFS formatted drives, devices. The Tesla Sentry Mode software will format new devices. The older Tesla software would only work with devices that had been formatted using the FAT32 file system formatted devices. This was an issue for MS Windows users as Windows OS would only format storage devices with a maximum of 32Gb using the FAT32 file system. This was not a limitation for Mac users as the Mac OS could format larger capacity storage devices using FAT32.

The need to either jump through several hoops, download third party software onto a Windows PC to format, partition larger storage devices on a MS Windows PC in FAT32 format or else pay a premium for a storage device that has already been formatted using FAT32 file system are OBE. All you need to do is insert the device, cable or adapter into the USB-A port located inside the glovebox (for Model Y with the updated console) and select the Format option from the Dash Cam / Sentry Mode Viewer software. The Tesla software handles formatting the device and even creates the required /TeslaCam folder.

Last edited:
Reactions: LwlPeak
The current versions of Tesla's Dash Cam and Sentry Mode, the Sentry Mode Viewer will now work with exFAT and NTFS formatted drives, devices. The Tesla Sentry Mode software will format new devices. The older Tesla software would only work with devices that had been formatted using the FAT32 file system formatted devices. This was an issue for MS Windows users as Windows OS would only format storage devices with a maximum of 32Gb using the FAT32 file system. This was not a limitation for Mac users as the Mac OS could format larger capacity storage devices using FAT32.

The need to either jump through several hoops, download third party software onto a Windows PC to format, partition larger storage devices on a MS Windows PC in FAT32 format or else pay a premium for a storage device that has already been formatted using FAT32 file system are OBE. All you need to do is insert the device, cable or adapter into the USB-A port located inside the glovebox (for Model Y with the updated console) and select the Format option from the Dash Cam / Sentry Mode Viewer software. The Tesla software handles formatting the device and even creates the required /TeslaCam folder.
Oh good to know!
So then any SSD will do?

Oh good to know!
So then any SSD will do?
It could, but check the max power draw of the SSD. The maximum power of the USB-A port is 5V and 0.5A to 09.A (2.5W to 4.5W). The other thing to check is the operating and storage temperature range for the SSD (you should also check the temperature limits for any USB drive or MicroSD card you plan to use.) The interior of a vehicle in summer can get to well over 140F. (The Tesla vehicle has cabin overheat protection that is designed to keep the cabin temperature from exceeding 105F. Even after you enable Cabin Overheat Protection if the Tesla has been parked for more than 12 hours the cabin overheat protection turns off, does not reset automatically until the next time you drive and park.)

Reactions: LwlPeak
Floor mats. I would recommend
PXL_20210317_161742076.jpg
PXL_20210317_161757519.MP.jpg
the 3D. I have the Tesla winter mats in our Model X and they are so hard to get in and out and the 3d I have in the Y are so so easy to clean and put back in. Sometimes the minimal approach is the best.

SSD such as the Samsung T7 continue to be popular digital storage options but unless you have a very large music collection this amount of storage (500GB+) is overkill.

The way the Tesla Dashcam mode operates, the Tesla vehicle continuously records video from the front camera, side repeater cameras and rear camera in a buffer. Every 10 minutes the buffer is written to the /TeslaCam/RecentClips file including a date and time stamp. Dashcam mode will overwrite clips that are older than 1 hour unless the clip is saved. If you tap the screen icon or honk the horn or after a collision is detected the current buffer and Dashcam file will be saved. Saved files are written to the /SavedClips folder. Sentry mode events are also logged to the /TeslaCam folder. You can retrieve, view and delete clips using the Dashcam/Sentry mode viewer.

In actual use even a 64GB storage device would be adequate, 128GB to 256GB is more than adequate unless you have a very large music collection that you want to also store on the storage device.

The memory card I purchased separately was this one: Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB 100MB/s (U1) MicroSDXC Memory Card

I purchased this Sandisk microSD USB card reader (without the memory card): SanDisk - SDDR-B531-GN6NN MobileMate USB 3.0 microSD Card Reader

Now you can purchase the Sandisk microSD USB card reader and microSD card bundle for slightly less cost: Sandisk 128GB High Endurance Video MicroSDXC Card with Adapter for Dash Cam

As I can recall when I inserted the Sandisk reader with the Samsung microSD card into the USB-A port of the Model Y the Tesla vehicle detected the card, asked me if I wanted to format the card. After formatting the card I was able to start using Sentry Mode (in use except when the Model Y is parked at my home) and Dashcam mode. I have been using the Sandisk microSD USB card reader with the Samsung 128GB PRO Endurance memory card for almost a year in my Model Y with no issues.

Last edited:
I bought the Tesla Offer Model Y frunk opener a couple of months ago and installed it myself (picked car up on Tuesday). I'm glad I did as I felt that the frunk was a little too flexible and I can see it being easily creased. Only other mods I intend to do is mud flaps, full frontal PPF and an SSD to replace the 128GB USB stick.

Reactions: Jjrss
I bought the Tesla Offer Model Y frunk opener a couple of months ago and installed it myself (picked car up on Tuesday). I'm glad I did as I felt that the frunk was a little too flexible and I can see it being easily creased. Only other mods I intend to do is mud flaps, full frontal PPF and an SSD to replace the 128GB USB stick.
I just looked up the frunk opener mods... it cannot be unseen...

Reactions: Hammerhead786