Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things to do while waiting for Elon's "something special for Roadster owners"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been wanting to cover up the carpet between the seats and the floor mats and finally did something about it. I bought an extra set of mats and cut them to fit the upper carpet deck. I found that the roadster mats are the same $ as a honda fit (picked that as the smallest car I could think of... maybe a [not-so]smart car is smaller). Anyhoo, here's what it looks like.

IMG_1824.jpg
IMG_1825.jpg

If you can find some way to hook the mat to the two mat securing hooks on the floor you shouldn't have an issue with it slipping. The stock mat has the circle ends that fit on the floor hook that keeps it from moving forward. I don't see the hooks being utilized on the mats in the pic above. They also sell clips that have pins. So you clip your mat and then run the pin down into the existing carpet. This keeps the mat from shifting forward.

matloc_clip.jpg

Product: Mat-Locâ„¢ Clips Retention System

Regarding my upper area floor mats, I've pushed hard on them with my foot getting in and out and they don't move. The mats have those cleats on the underside to that helps, but more importantly the mats were cut exactly to the trapezoid-shaped area and since it is wider at the seat and narrower at the front, the mat cannot slide forward. I spent $55 at auto anything.com ordering the extra set of mats. Was hoping I could get 2 cars worth and donate a set to a local Roadster owner, but you can only get 1 car out of them.

It might be a long wait, so here are some cheap/easy upgrades to tide you over:

1) Leather wrapped door pulls. You can order these from Tesla for about $90 - way better than the aluminum ones and really easy to install.

Finally managed to get mine yesterday (it took Tesla a while to get these for me).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402724089.296691.jpg

A real improvement to the interior, and thanks for the tip.

A real improvement to the interior, and thanks for the tip.

I'm on a mission right now to remove/cover all of the aluminum trim pieces in my car. Besides the door pulls and door sills, I did the center console (aluminum part that surrounds the drive buttons). Now I need to do the parking brake and the steering wheel. I'll still have the chrome door release, but I don't think there's much I can do there, and chrome isn't as bad as the aluminum.

While I'm waiting..........I'm detailing the exterior of the car. I just used Griot's Paint Cleaning Clay with Speed Shine and tonight I'm using their Fine Hand Polish followed by Meguiar's Ultimate Liquid Wax. Would have bought either the Griot's or the 3M Performance Finish Polymer Wax but I didn't have time to wait for shipping before I have to drive the car!

Whoa Bart!!
Make sure you don't put that stuff on "Starshield"
If you are #1276 then you are a 2.5 sports and might have the clear wrap which Griots recommends you don't use clay on.
Make sure you rant wrapped ..... If you are use griots speed shine or spray on car wash. They won't scratch the wrap and will shine it right up!