Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things to learn from PoleStar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

GRiLLA

Jul 5, 2020
UK
It's always interesting to check and see how owners of PoleStar 2s are getting along, a nice update here

• Drives an hour to a Volvo dealer so they can install the Feb software update
  • Takes over an hour to install
  • The highlight is that the wifi now works, if you watch his previous he's spent months without any data connectivity at all
  • Includes a new 'spacial surround' feature that makes things sound worse
  • The pilot assist 'gives up' due to the sun on the road markings
  • Achieves a great figure of 389Wh/mile on the way back, 410Wh/mile on the way there
Importantly though he's happy, it's a cool car, it works enough, electricity is the future and he's exploring the edges of new technology.

I like his videos. Love the Polestar. But just seems like they released it as a beta version car!

That's because manufacturers desperately wanted to get cars released for 2020 for the toughened European fuel economy standards, so they'd rather release it with bugs and omissions than delay.

The efficiency doesn't really matter, as long as it provides enough utility. People don't buy premium vehicles for efficiency.

• Funny
Reactions: ccook and WarpedOne
I watch this channel also. It might be a slightly mischievous thought but I cant help but think some times he thinks "wish I'd got a tesla" :)

Saying that, compared to a lot of legacy car markers attempts at an EV(take notice BMW,Merc and Audi). The polestar 2 is a cracking first go at a BEV and it's a good alternative to a Tesla for people who need a hatchback and more flexible storage than a saloon offers. As some other reviewers have said "it doesn't beat a Model 3, but it comes darn close"

Any and all competition is good tbh, one thing that would be disastrous for EV adoption would be for companies like Tesla to rest on their laurels and not feel the hot breath of other makers breathing down their neck. So Kudos to polestar and nice one to anyone who owns one.

That's because manufacturers desperately wanted to get cars released for 2020 for the toughened European fuel economy standards, so they'd rather release it with bugs and omissions than delay.

Spot on, I think, and something that has plagued VW with the ID.3, another car that was released with loads of software bugs. What absolutely amazes me is how tolerant people are becoming to often major software failings. It seems many will tolerate software failings to a far greater degree than they would hardware failings.

Tesla's are a good example. We hear lots of complaints about panel gaps, paint finish, etc, yet often those same people just accept that having the car randomly do an emergency stop on a motorway, for no good reason, is just some sort of semi-acceptable software bug.

Saw my first one on the road today. Fantastic looking car (IMO of course). But in hindsight glad I didn’t order one. The efficiency is brutal.

if you had the third party charging infrastructure of somewhere like Norway, it’s probably viable, but I would always be nervous here.

Last edited:
The one thing Tesla and all car makers can learn from Volvo in general is how to make seats. They have been making great seats for forever on all their cars. Ask anyone who has ever owned a Volvo and they will tell you the seats were great even if the car itself had issues.

The one thing Tesla and all car makers can learn from Volvo in general is how to make seats. They have been making great seats for forever on all their cars. Ask anyone who has ever owned a Volvo and they will tell you the seats were great even if the car itself had issues.
That brings to mind a 300km journey in a Swedish colleagues' V70 at -15C on thick snow covered roads with frequent overtaking, sometimes at up to 90kmh & one near miss with a deer.

The Volvo seat was comfortable enough although the muscles in mine were certainly not.

It's hard to make a seat that suits everybody, but it's not a good area to skimp.

We'd have bought a Bolt rather than a Kona EV, but my wife found the seats uncomfortable. Although the Bolt has slow DCFC (rapid charging) it has the charge port on the driver's side front fender (wing), and a more flexible charging schedule that fits with our electric rates, instead of the basic single off-peak period of the Kona, so would be more convenient for us.

yet often those same people just accept that having the car randomly do an emergency stop on a motorway, for no good reason, is just some sort of semi-acceptable software bug.

Working in the NHS, and being regularly exposed to the onslaught of un-user-friendly software (and even trying to find a workstation sometimes), and stuff not doing what it should, then tolerance builds up rapidly and Tesla is like a prime finished product in comparison :D

• Funny
Reactions: BushtrimmmerJr
Thankfully I think Titus was ruled out by the hierarchy of the group a few weeks ago. I considered the Polestar and XC40 but the Mrs vetoed me

Still have my 3 Long Range, its nearly 3 years old now and has been a brilliant motor!

Sadly it was either a basic white Y, or a RWD 3 and I didn't fancy going backwards on the 3 into a single motor, and I already have a white Model 3 so didn't want white again.

I have been able to put every option on the Polestar (Performance, Pilot and Plus packs) and it still came out cheaper than a standard Model Y in white on 19" wheels on my company car policy.

I'm still a Tesla owner for now though!