Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you didn't know about your Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At the service center, I mentioned about the update to my service adviser, thought maybe they pushed it to me to fix my issue. That is when she said they have a geo-fence to at the service center to push the latest update to cars when they are there.
Very interesting. And cool, if it's the case. I suppose service center parking lots are about to get really crowded soon.. :p

I am almost 100% sure its not geofence based and is based on "Tesla Service" Wifi SSID, which in turn lets the car open a VPN service to register with tesla servers in something like a service mode. Now then, if you are in close proximity of the SC you will automatically connect to "Tesla Service" WiFi, your car comes pre-provisioned with it.

I am almost 100% sure its not geofence based and is based on "Tesla Service" Wifi SSID, which in turn lets the car open a VPN service to register with tesla servers in something like a service mode. Now then, if you are in close proximity of the SC you will automatically connect to "Tesla Service" WiFi, your car comes pre-provisioned with it.

Can I just create a SSID call Tesla Service and see what happens

On a related note: If you stop by a SC that has a supercharger is it acceptable to go in and ask them for the wifi code? I was at Dublin the other day for 30 minutes and could have used WiFi but felt that was pushing it since there were 4 cars waiting. I did not want them to think I was just hanging out like I understand a lot of the locals do.

I took my X to the service center at night, parked in the parking lot and it did connect to the 'Tesla Service' wifi. I parked there for about 30 minutes. Sadly, no software update notification arrived. I'm currently on 2.24.86. Have been on it since June 25th. Went to the service center July 7th.

The Tesla-provided sunshade in its case fits snugly in the space under the front passenger seat. This also makes for convenient access.
Good to know, for now my biggest problem is where do I keep my laptop when commuting to and from work. Wherever I keep it inside the car except the trunk/frunk it ends up sliding all over the place and is usually under the farthest away seat from where I first kept it.. #firstWorldAccelerationProblems
P.S: Do not keep your laptop on the seats, it may fly off unless wearing seatbelts.

• Funny
Reactions: hiroshiy and ohmman
Can I just create a SSID call Tesla Service and see what happens
I did it already and the way the tesla wifi settings is coded sucks, they have harcoded "Tesla Service" as a preprovisioned entry so essentially one cannot have the same WiFi SSID name. I put the 2.4Ghz band on my router to advertise "Tesla Service". The X with its silly implementation tried to latch on to the matching SSID with its preprovisioned password and ofcourse could not associate with my router. Now then you cannot even change or remove "Tesla Service" preprovisioned and hardcoded entry from wifi settings..Also tried adding "Tesla service" (with a small "s") manually and that wont work either as it clashes with the preprovisioned SSID (so its also case insensitive).
So there you go, no luck with this hopeful experiment. And apologies if I nerded out a bit too much..\

I should probably advertise "Musk" or "SpaceX" or "42" as SSID and see if I discover a ton more "cowbells"

upload_2016-7-14_0-15-37.png
upload_2016-7-14_0-15-53.png

upload_2016-7-14_0-16-16.png

upload_2016-7-14_0-17-40.png

Actually they need to rectify code for SSID handling. They could debate probably no one will be using the SSID "Tesla Service" as their home/office wifi SSID so this should not cause any problems. So yeah.. a nerdy prod is all it was. The wifi card is fine.

But I mean it is the only device on my network that operates on 802.11g doesn't operating G devices on a AC network slow things down??

But I mean it is the only device on my network that operates on 802.11g doesn't operating G devices on a AC network slow things down??
Oh yes it does, legacy 802.11 devies will penalize newer variants for sake of backward compatibility. But do note going on 5 GhZ reduces range, so going with 2.4GHz is the right design decision since the car will be further away from the base station/router in most houses. You could perhaps argue with this stating they could put a rather large antennae to mitigate range loss, but even then 2.4GHz is likely to be the design choice preference.

Oh yes it does, legacy 802.11 devies will penalize newer variants for sake of backward compatibility. But do note going on 5 GhZ reduces range, so going with 2.4GHz is the right design decision since the car will be further away from the base station/router in most houses. You could perhaps argue with this stating they could put a rather large antennae to mitigate range loss, but even then 2.4GHz is likely to be the design choice preference.

Most of my other devices are 5GHz so will having my X connected to 2.4 slow down the 5GHZ? I have an AirPort Extreme and 6 airport extremes that I also use as access points on gigabit Internet. Just ordered a couple of Nest Outdoor Cameras for the garage, don't want the X to slow down the speed

Most of my other devices are 5GHz so will having my X connected to 2.4 slow down the 5GHZ? I have an AirPort Extreme and 6 airport extremes that I also use as access points on gigabit Internet. Just ordered a couple of Nest Outdoor Cameras for the garage, don't want the X to slow down the speed
Nope, thats the advantage of dual band routers. Having legacy and new 802.11 on the same band creates a bottleneck. Dual band routers (2.4G+5G) solve this by creating two channel sets which are indepdendent and non overlapping. Now then if you have legacy devices on 2.4 GHz you will still have the bottleneck dragging back newer 802.11 devices. Its unlikely legacy 802.11 devices will operate on the 5GHz band. In my house I setup a streamlined system with just one router and no range extenders, with 3db gain external antennas, dual band setup. I did not need to invest any more than $150 to design a fully capable WiFi system that supports security IP cameras, multiple gaming consoles, half a dozen phones and same number of tablets and lost count of how many IOT smart devices like sensors, echo, sonos etc etc. No issues with latency except on connnecting to the X, which I blame on shoddy algorithms by Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: NathanWolf
If one of the front doors is nearly closed, but not enough to latch and close, it will not close with a lock signal from the fob. Apparently the door cannot get enough closing momentum to latch. So if you're, say, washing your car, and you decide to, for instance, use the fob to close the doors before hosing it off... you might want to be aware that the doors could need a checking before you spray. Cough.

If one of the front doors is nearly closed, but not enough to latch and close, it will not close with a lock signal from the fob. Apparently the door cannot get enough closing momentum to latch. So if you're, say, washing your car, and you decide to, for instance, use the fob to close the doors before hosing it off... you might want to be aware that the doors could need a checking before you spray. Cough.

Just another reason to use the Optimum No Rinse to safely wash the X.